Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.

FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 11:41 am
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
^fixed in other thread
Old May 9, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by IBobi
^fixed in other thread
Turns out that clearing my cache worked like a charm. (Didn't have to clear cookies, thankfully.) Thanks!
IBobi likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Glitch STILL turns on email notifications!!!!

Hello again,

So once more, submitting Expert Reviews on threads to which I already was subscribed (without notifications of any kind) has again turned on email notifications for some odd reason. This is a glitch that I'd reported numerous times over the years, and yet it still happens.

As of now, I am receiving email notifications since submitting Expert Reviews for all the threads in the past few days.

This glitch needs to be fixed once and for all. It's very annoying! As one who has submitted more Expert Reviews than anyone else on FlyerTalk, I would know.

Thanks.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:49 am
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Submitting Expert Reviews on threads to which I already was subscribed (without notifications of any kind) has again turned on email notifications for some odd reason. This is a glitch that I'd reported numerous times over the years, and yet it still happens.

As of now, I am receiving email notifications since submitting Expert Reviews for all the threads in the past few days.
Which threads are you getting notifications for? Are those new threads of yours? Or threads you just recently posted to?
Old May 10, 2019, 11:57 am
Suspended

Which threads are you getting notifications for? Are those new threads of yours? Or threads you just recently posted to?
Calistoga Ranch...just submitted Expert Review, but had been subscribed already without notifications. Now getting email notifications!

St Regis San Francisco...same!

Ventanas Big Sur...same!

Las Alcobas Napa Valley...same!

I haven't gotten any notifications yet, but I bet I will the moment someone posts to the Santa Barbara luxury hotels overview thread...because the last post was my Expert Review! Same with the Bacara Santa Barbara Ritz Carlton thread! Same with Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay!

SOMEHOW, submitting an Expert Review resets the notification settings and defaults you back to email notifications--even for threads to which we previously were subscribed and with no notifications selected. It's been true since the start of Expert Reviews...and I'd notified IS so many times already I can't even count.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:15 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
As one who has submitted more Expert Reviews than anyone else on FlyerTalk
I would welcome a friendly competition
@IBobi we should roll out a new badge after 100 reviews of a hotel loyalty program 25 reviews is obsolete by now
@bhrubin will probably be close to that for Marriott, maybe @Goldorak too for Accor
Goldorak, IBobi and bhrubin like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by escape4
I would welcome a friendly competition
@IBobi we should roll out a new badge after 100 reviews of a hotel loyalty program 25 reviews is obsolete by now
@bhrubin will probably be close to that for Marriott, maybe @Goldorak too for Accor
I rescind that obviously false claim and send kudos (and apologies) to you, Sir! I was informed when I hit 25 SPG that I had more reviews than anyone and was the only 25 reviewer...so assumed wrongly I still had the lead. My bad!
Old May 11, 2019, 7:48 pm

I rescind that obviously false claim and send kudos (and apologies) to you, Sir! I was informed when I hit 25 SPG that I had more reviews than anyone and was the only 25 reviewer...so assumed wrongly I still had the lead. My bad!
Well for Marriott/Starwood specifically I think you must be close to 100 and I don't think anybody else is even close to that many for that hotel chain. It would be great to have the 100 review badge and I think you'll be first to earn it just like you did for the 25 badge! ^ Enjoy reading your reviews as usual Sir
Goldorak and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:23 am

No progress or news on the map.
Sounds like some progress was made recently? Some reviews which used to fall in no-man's land are now on the map, although not always at the correct spot on the map.

It might be useful at some point to have an official statement from FT brass as to where they see the future of hotel reviews. There was recently an article about "The Decline of Flyertalk"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...k-article.html

I am not an FT shareholder so I have no dog in this fight but my uninformed opinion is that if I was a shareholder, I would attempt to harvest the hotel-specific info on FT because as flawed as FT is, it remains the #1 source of info about hotels. I don't think the current hotel review feature works like a well-oiled machine, so there is room for improvement in my humble opinion.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by escape4; Aug 4, 2019 at 10:13 am
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:39 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Sound like some progress was made recently? Some reviews which used to fall in no-man's land are now on the map, although not always at the correct spot on the map.

It might be useful at some point to have an official statement from FT brass as to where they see the future of hotel reviews. There was recently an article about "The Decline of Flyertalk"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...k-article.html

I am not an FT shareholder so I have no dog in this fight but my uninformed opinion is that if I was a shareholder, I would attempt to harvest the hotel-specific info on FT because as flawed as FT is, it remains the #1 source of info about hotels. I don't think the current hotel review feature works like a well-oiled machine, so there is room for improvement in my humble opinion.
We've just switched geolocation software, which is why some properties are now showing up. We're also going through the list of properties to iron out locations, though as this is a manual process, it will take a few weeks. We're also aware of that blog post (though take his opinion with a grain of salt ).
bhrubin and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:45 am

Bump. It looks like the map still has significant room for improvement? Also loyalty program and/or brand is often wrong when posting a new review.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:42 am
Administrator

Bump. It looks like the map still has significant room for improvement? Also loyalty program and/or brand is often wrong when posting a new review.
Can you point out what is wrong with the map and the loyalty program is wrong? As I go through the new properties, I mark their brands as apparent to me.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Can you point out what is wrong with the map and the loyalty program is wrong? As I go through the new properties, I mark their brands as apparent to me.
Regarding the map, here is what I meant :

- Several properties do not appear in the correct spot. For example, zoom out to the maximum and scroll towards Canada. There is a marker exactly where the word "Canada" is and if you point to the marker, you will see a long list of hotels for that specific spot in the middle of nowhere, just north of Alberta province. Those hotels are not at the right spot.
- Similarly, still in Canada there is another marker on the west side of Hudson's Bay, it contains three hotels that do not belong there, one Halifax, one Vancouver, and one Edmonton.
- You can also spot other hotels showing incorrectly via the search function. For example if I search on "Istanbul", I will see a yellow circle with "11" in Istanbul so I assume those are correct, but there are three other markers elsewhere in various areas of Turkey.
- In each FT member individual profile, it used to be that you could click on "Map" and you could see markers where that person has been and written hotel reviews. Is this section now deactivated? I do not see markers on the map anymore.

Regarding hotel brands, here are some things I noticed:

- For many hotels, the brand seems to default to "AC Hotels by Marriott". For example, Opus XIV in Bergen Norway, Hotel Ranga in Iceland (and loyalty program for this one is missing, should be Independent / Boutique), Cabrits Resort Dominica, etc. If you select "Hotel Brand = AC in the filters, you will see lots of markers everywhere in the world, the vast majority of which are not AC hotel brand.
- In the section "Browse by Loyalty Programs and Groups", Banyan Tree and Fairmont are correctly no longer in the drop down list since they were acquired by Accor. However some individual properties are still at their old loyalty program, for example Fairmont Southampton, Fairmont Chengdu, Fairmont Istanbul, Banyan Tree Bangkok, etc. All of those should be loyalty program = Accor, rather than loyalty = Fairmont or Banyan Tree.

Thanks for looking into this!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:19 am
Administrator

I've addressed your points in bold.

Regarding the map, here is what I meant :

- Several properties do not appear in the correct spot. For example, zoom out to the maximum and scroll towards Canada. There is a marker exactly where the word "Canada" is and if you point to the marker, you will see a long list of hotels for that specific spot in the middle of nowhere, just north of Alberta province. Those hotels are not at the right spot. This could be a combination of things. There are limits to both the mapping software, alphabetic characters (more trouble with accents on letters, etc), and just human error of typing stuff in. At least one of those Istanbul reviews was while I was on leave, so I can't say for sure what's going on.

- Similarly, still in Canada there is another marker on the west side of Hudson's Bay, it contains three hotels that do not belong there, one Halifax, one Vancouver, and one Edmonton. See above.

- You can also spot other hotels showing incorrectly via the search function. For example if I search on "Istanbul", I will see a yellow circle with "11" in Istanbul so I assume those are correct, but there are three other markers elsewhere in various areas of Turkey. See above.

- In each FT member individual profile, it used to be that you could click on "Map" and you could see markers where that person has been and written hotel reviews. Is this section now deactivated? I do not see markers on the map anymore. Probably an issue with a site upgrade, although possibly it was causing page-loading slowness for users with a lot of hotel reviews. I'll ask tech.

Regarding hotel brands, here are some things I noticed:

- For many hotels, the brand seems to default to "AC Hotels by Marriott". For example, Opus XIV in Bergen Norway, Hotel Ranga in Iceland (and loyalty program for this one is missing, should be Independent / Boutique), Cabrits Resort Dominica, etc. If you select "Hotel Brand = AC in the filters, you will see lots of markers everywhere in the world, the vast majority of which are not AC hotel brand. Basically this has to be done manually. If it's missed or the property hasn't been placed yet, it defaults to the first program, alphabetically. Going back through every property and making sure it has the correct program is a manual process and frankly not feasible at this time. I'm the only one who works on these besides tech, who only steps in when there's a problem.

- In the section "Browse by Loyalty Programs and Groups", Banyan Tree and Fairmont are correctly no longer in the drop down list since they were acquired by Accor. However some individual properties are still at their old loyalty program, for example Fairmont Southampton, Fairmont Chengdu, Fairmont Istanbul, Banyan Tree Bangkok, etc. All of those should be loyalty program = Accor, rather than loyalty = Fairmont or Banyan Tree. Again, changing loyalty programs and hotel names is a manual process. We might be able to switch all loyalty programs so that Fairmont=Accor (I believe all Fairmont reviews now count toward Accor badges on the backend) on the front end. I'll check.

Thanks for looking into this!
Most of these issues require extensive manual detective work, research and testing. I'll have a look at all of them and consult tech, but I can't give you any kind of timeframe for resolution at this point.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the follow-up! It's unfortunate a big chunk of the work is a manual process.
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by escape4; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.