Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.

FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I've tested this just about every way I can think of. The only photos that rotated were ones I had edited on my phone to rotate 90 degrees already (so they ended up just reverting to what they'd originally been). Even then, it rotated on on PC, rather than FlyerTalk rotating it. I believe this is a device issue. Are you taking photos with iPhone or Android?
IPhone 8 plus
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:43 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Hi Nick, it looks like we did have a small technical hiccup with your review, but I figured it out and it should now be viewable.
Hi Joel

A small follow up question, I'm not sure if it's correct to post here: I know for sure that my badge used to say Fairmont, but now it says AccorHotels. I know that AccorHotels bought Fairmont (and ruined its FPP), but in my opinion Fairmont deserves its own badge. (I'd rather burn the one labeled with AccorHotels than having it on my profile) Is it possible that I can get my old Fairmont badge back? (Pretty please?)
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:45 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Hi Joel

A small follow up question, I'm not sure if it's correct to post here: I know for sure that my badge used to say Fairmont, but now it says AccorHotels. I know that AccorHotels bought Fairmont (and ruined its FPP), but in my opinion Fairmont deserves its own badge. (I'd rather burn the one labeled with AccorHotels than having it on my profile) Is it possible that I can get my old Fairmont badge back? (Pretty please?)
Hi Nick,
The badges are based on the program, and when one program absorbs another, like Accor with Fairmont or Marriott with SPG, the badges are consolidated as well.

Paul
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi Nick,
The badges are based on the program, and when one program absorbs another, like Accor with Fairmont or Marriott with SPG, the badges are consolidated as well.

Paul
This is a shame.
In that case please burn it somewhere so that I never have to look at it again.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:31 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

This is a shame.
In that case please burn it somewhere so that I never have to look at it again.
LOL, I feel similarly. You can remove the badge. Go to your control panel, select "hotel review badges" and uncheck the box for Accor.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by escape4
LOL, I feel similarly. You can remove the badge. Go to your control panel, select "hotel review badges" and uncheck the box for Accor.
Well I did as you suggested and the box is now unchecked for that badge, yet it still appears under my name. Any idea how to fix this?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:51 am

Well I did as you suggested and the box is now unchecked for that badge, yet it still appears under my name. Any idea how to fix this?
It looks like I can change my batches displayed, and I can reduce from 2 to 1 as well. But if I select no badge, it defaults back to my previous selection. So I suspect you need to have a non-Accor badge if you want to unselect it because you cannot pick nothing.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It looks like I can change my batches displayed, and I can reduce from 2 to 1 as well. But if I select no badge, it defaults back to my previous selection. So I suspect you need to have a non-Accor badge if you want to unselect it because you cannot pick nothing.
Dagnammit.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by IBThomas
Depending on how busy our schedules are, a review can take a day or two to get up now that the backlog is cleared.
What is the internal process by which hotel reviews make their way to the master map (or not)? It seems to be a manual process; a few months ago I raised this issue and was told it got fixed when the "backlog" got cleared. However now a couple of months have gone by, and it seems to be back as it was: it takes nowhere near 1-2 days for reviews to show up in the master list. In fact it looks like reviews are left hanging for several weeks (at least according to those I wrote), and I wonder if I did not ask the question in this thread I suspect they would never make it to the master list. So is it really a backlog issue or rather some other cause which makes reviews fall through the cracks?

It's not that big a deal really but if FT is going to bother having a hotel review section, then a basic function is for such reviews to show up on the master list to allow search functionality, otherwise we have to search for individual properties in individual threads which is not as convenient and not as user-friendly. That's the entire reason of being for the hotel review section, but right now if my reviews are not showing up on the master list, I suspect many reviews of other FTers are not going there either and that I am not an exception. So it appears as if it's not working as well as it should.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I made a reviews about the Ritz Carlton Abama a few days ago and it does not seeem to show up on the expert review map, nor have I received the abdge. Hence I second the abve statement, because something clearly does not seem to be working.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:22 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I made a reviews about the Ritz Carlton Abama a few days ago and it does not seeem to show up on the expert review map, nor have I received the abdge. Hence I second the abve statement, because something clearly does not seem to be working.
I'll take a look!
Nick Art likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:20 pm

A bunch of my hotel reviews in the last couple of months have now made it correctly to the master map. ^

However there is still a minor issue under "your profile", then "map". Most of my recent reviews show up south of Ghana in the ocean rather than at the proper spot on the world map. So it appears as if the personal map and the master map are not linking properly.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:39 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
A bunch of my hotel reviews in the last couple of months have now made it correctly to the master map. ^

However there is still a minor issue under "your profile", then "map". Most of my recent reviews show up south of Ghana in the ocean rather than at the proper spot on the world map. So it appears as if the personal map and the master map are not linking properly.
Can you give me an example hotel property?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:04 pm

Can you give me an example hotel property?
After checking into this more in depth, a more correct description would be that what got fixed recently is that many hotel reviews are now counted for the badges, but unfortunately they are both wrong on the master map and the personal map. I previously thought the master map was ok, but it is not the case.

For example, please take a look at following hotels which I believe all fall south of Ghana on my personal map and are missing from the master map:
Fairmont Istanbul, Fairmont Amman, W Amman, DoubleTree Sukhumvit Bangkok, St.Regis Maldives, DoubleTree Doha, Courtyard Ottawa East, Homewood Suites Mont-Tremblant, Hampton Inn Ottawa Airport, Hilton Colombo.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'll take a look!
Any news?

Spoiler

Last edited by IBJoel; Nov 6, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.