Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 25, 18, 3:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.


FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old May 18, 17, 10:52 am
  #76  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,472
quoting hotel review does not seem to quote text of entire review, seems to leave out last couple parts, perhaps there is some kind of set maximum at the moment?

sometimes cant use stop button to stop loading of photos when reading a review
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 17, 12:33 pm
  #77  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
I'll check this out. Thanks for the heads up. Did you recently quote a review and have an example to link me to?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
quoting hotel review does not seem to quote text of entire review, seems to leave out last couple parts, perhaps there is some kind of set maximum at the moment?

sometimes cant use stop button to stop loading of photos when reading a review
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 17, 5:49 am
  #78  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,487
A handful of times now, after typing a review and clicking submit, the page just hangs. It gets that lighter color, as if there's a pop-up on the page (a dialogue box), but scrolling the whole page reveals nothing. So I'm done. No more "expert reviews" from me. I'm sick of my work going to waste.
danger is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 17, 12:28 pm
  #79  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
After submitting a hotel review, a popup will appear confirming that the review will be published. Do you happen to have any browser add on that is preventing this popup?

Since this issue could happen with a regular forums post, it's suggested to write out the content of the review in a locally stored document and then copying pasting into the review boxes.

Originally Posted by danger View Post
A handful of times now, after typing a review and clicking submit, the page just hangs. It gets that lighter color, as if there's a pop-up on the page (a dialogue box), but scrolling the whole page reveals nothing. So I'm done. No more "expert reviews" from me. I'm sick of my work going to waste.
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:07 pm
  #80  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,487
Originally Posted by IBtyen View Post
After submitting a hotel review, a popup will appear confirming that the review will be published. Do you happen to have any browser add on that is preventing this popup?

Since this issue could happen with a regular forums post, it's suggested to write out the content of the review in a locally stored document and then copying pasting into the review boxes.
No, no blockers. The pop-up window appeared 20-odd minutes earlier when I first went to publish my review. It reminded me I hadn't posted any photos so I went back and did that. But when I clicked to submit again, no pop-up.

I've never had this occur with a regular forums post.
danger is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:12 pm
  #81  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
Thanks for this detailed description of the issue. I'm going to try to reproduce this.

Originally Posted by danger View Post
No, no blockers. The pop-up window appeared 20-odd minutes earlier when I first went to publish my review. It reminded me I hadn't posted any photos so I went back and did that. But when I clicked to submit again, no pop-up.

I've never had this occur with a regular forums post.
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 4:34 pm
  #82  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,469
I published a review of a FS property and received errors stating it couldn't save the images to the FT web service. So I published without the photos then added them later.

I contacted FT to say I didn't get my FS badge, but have now lost my badges for my many *wood and Hyatt reviews.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 4:36 pm
  #83  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
I'll take a look to see what's going on. If you encounter the image upload error, please capture a screenshot and feel free to post it or email me directly at [email protected]

You are only able to display 2 badges at a time, can you verify that the hyatt and starwood badges are not options?

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
I published a review of a FS property and received errors stating it couldn't save the images to the FT web service. So I published without the photos then added them later.

I contacted FT to say I didn't get my FS badge, but have now lost my badges for my many *wood and Hyatt reviews.
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 6:14 pm
  #84  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,469
Originally Posted by IBtyen View Post
I'll take a look to see what's going on. If you encounter the image upload error, please capture a screenshot and feel free to post it or email me directly at [email protected]

You are only able to display 2 badges at a time, can you verify that the hyatt and starwood badges are not options?
Where do I find the options?
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 6:16 pm
  #85  
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,720
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Where do I find the options?
MyFlyerTalk, Hotel Review Badges.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 17, 4:29 am
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,472
interesting >
http://usatoday.com/story/travel/fli...iews/94208972/
IIRC beta started spring 2014
IBobi likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 17, 17 at 6:29 pm Reason: Make URL clickable
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 17, 1:23 am
  #87  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,469
Trying to write four hotel reviews. Tried Safari and Chrome, no ........ Both coming up with homepage header and footer only.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 17, 11:55 am
  #88  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
This is because the button isn't triggering the https version of the site. I'll let our tech team know. If you want a workaround this issue, you'll need to manually add https:// to the URL after you click the "new review thread" button

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Trying to write four hotel reviews. Tried Safari and Chrome, no ........ Both coming up with homepage header and footer only.
JDiver likes this.
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 3:39 am
  #89  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 12,762
Originally Posted by IBtyen View Post
This is because the button isn't triggering the https version of the site. I'll let our tech team know. If you want a workaround this issue, you'll need to manually add https:// to the URL after you click the "new review thread" button
this problem is still present (using Safari on iPad, iOS 11.0.3), but it is indeed solved doing what you suggested.
Another problem I want to report : when filling the different sections of the review, when clicking on “add photos”, half of the time it was sending me to another page of the hotel review (the one with the world map where you can look for all the reviews published), instead of proposing me the local menu to browse through the pictures available on my iPad.
Thank you for your attention
Attached Images  
Goldorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:24 pm
  #90  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to reproduce this. I'm assuming this is also due to the https switch.

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
this problem is still present (using Safari on iPad, iOS 11.0.3), but it is indeed solved doing what you suggested.
Another problem I want to report : when filling the different sections of the review, when clicking on “add photos”, half of the time it was sending me to another page of the hotel review (the one with the world map where you can look for all the reviews published), instead of proposing me the local menu to browse through the pictures available on my iPad.
Thank you for your attention
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread