Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.

FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:22 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's not fixed. If you look at the thread I mentioned, prior to the fix REVIEW showed & even though there was a wiki, WIKI did not show.

Post 'fix', now NEITHER REVIEW nor WIKI show, so no one would know there was either a review or a wiki until they opened the thread!

If there is a wiki only thread, wiki still shows. If there's a review only thread, review still shows. But now post-fix, if there's both then neither show. Looks like they flipped the wrong button re: display - turning them off when there are both vs. turning them on when there are both.

This is the thread I was referring to when I posted originally & which I just checked.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...unty-hall.html

If you're scrolling through the threads on Marriott, the thread (currently) resides on page 9 (with pages set to maximum threads display per page), so you can see that neither review nor wiki displays for the thread.

Cheers.
Should now be fixed
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by IBobi
Should now be fixed
And it is

Cheers.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re photos >

can't stop (using stop 'button' in browser) loading thread/post?

don't load and finish? keep unloading/reloading when scrolling?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:10 pm
Defunct Account

Would you be able to elaborate further the problems you encountered?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re photos >

can't stop (using stop 'button' in browser) loading thread/post?

don't load and finish? keep unloading/reloading when scrolling?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which part is unclear?

using firefox on OSX
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:26 pm
Defunct Account

Are you describing a behavior you are experiencing when trying to post a new review? Or are you experiencing this behavior when attempting to load an existing review?

which part is unclear?

using firefox on OSX
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well this is always interesting, now stop load 'button' is working, in the trip report where i was not able to use stop 'button' 45 minutes ago.
45 minutes ago (& before) it was not working, now 45 minutes later it is working. odd. but seems to happen with various tech/forum issues.

so yes, "loading thread/post" as in reading, not trying to post a review. i will remember to note that whenever i post in this thread.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 13, 2016 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:30 pm
Defunct Account

Glad to know it's working!

well this is always interesting, now stop load 'button' is working, in the trip report i was not able to use stop 'button' in when i posted in this thread.

so yes, "loading thread/post" as in reading, not trying to post a review.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: IHG
How Do I Look Up Hotel Reviews?

I can't seem to get the hang of this. I go to the 'Hotel Reviews' page, apply the filters (HIE, in this case), type in the location, and press the search button. All I get in return is a map of hotel locations in California. I can't force the search engine to return my specific request.

What am I doing wrong?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cervantes
I can't seem to get the hang of this. I go to the 'Hotel Reviews' page, apply the filters (HIE, in this case), type in the location, and press the search button. All I get in return is a map of hotel locations in California. I can't force the search engine to return my specific request.

What am I doing wrong?
If your search term is HIE, you should be aware:

Search terms with three or fewer characters (or very common terms) require forcing the search by wrapping the term in quotation marks.

Search ignores case.

Therefore, try using the search term "hie"

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:05 am

Thanks JD for the reply.
I don't key in HIE as the hotel chain is selectable from the drop-down menu.
I key in the address of the specific hotel. But no luck.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:12 am

Just tried again, using different filters, specific street address etc. I simply cannot get a result. All I get is a map of hotel properties in California.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just tried again, using different filters, specific street address etc. I simply cannot get a result. All I get is a map of hotel properties in California.
Well if you can't find hotel reviews via the hotel review function, head over to TripAdvisor & look at reviews there.

Or go to the specific hotel forum on FT & just do a regular search for the property. There are many properties that FTers provide reviews/trip reports within a property thread, but don't use the FT formal hotel review function when doing so. While IB is touting hotel reviews to try & compete w/ TA, right now there are a lot more reviews in a property thread on FT than there are the formal hotel reviews on FT for a particular property.

I don't like FT's formal hotel review function for a variety of reasons, so I don't use it. But I do provide very detailed reviews of properties on the property thread. There are others that are the same.

BTW - which specific property are you trying to get information on?

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:22 am
Defunct Account

Hello,

Currently, there are only 3 reviews for Holiday Inn Express in the Expert Hotel Review format. Therefore, if you type a location with no reviews, no results will show.

Try selecting "Holiday Inn Express Hotels" from the "Hotel Brand" drop down list and click "apply filters"

In the upper right hand corner of the map the results show "Showing 3 Reviews for 3 Hotel Properties" Dragging the map around will show where these reviews are geographically.

There are 2 HIE reviews in Ohio. If you were to select HIE filter and enter Ohio in the search box, it will bring you to the 2 reviews in that area.

Hope this helps!

-Tyson

What am I doing wrong?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:33 am

Just a quick 'thank you' to the two above posters. I have just returned from 5-weeks overseas and so did not read your replies until now. Merci.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.