Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 25, 18, 3:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.


FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 4, 16, 9:45 am
  #31  
Accor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: Accor Plus Gold, Accor Plus Silver, KrisFlyer
Posts: 429
Hi,

I just completed several reviews and the images are not the correct way up. If you do know how to correct it, please do comment below or personally message me as I have never encountered this problem before and am unsure how to put it the right way up.

Thanks
Cocoleolol
cocoleolol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 16, 3:22 pm
  #32  
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,724
Originally Posted by cocoleolol View Post
Hi,

I just completed several reviews and the images are not the correct way up. If you do know how to correct it, please do comment below or personally message me as I have never encountered this problem before and am unsure how to put it the right way up.

Thanks
Cocoleolol
I am guessing they are iPhone images; try rotating them and saving them again before uploading. It is due to the way the iPhone handles EXIF metadata.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 16, 7:07 pm
  #33  
Accor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: Accor Plus Gold, Accor Plus Silver, KrisFlyer
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
I am guessing they are iPhone images; try rotating them and saving them again before uploading. It is due to the way the iPhone handles EXIF metadata.
Its actually Samsung. So it should be the same thing too right. Just need to rotate them?
cocoleolol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 16, 7:09 pm
  #34  
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,724
Should work.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 16, 1:10 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Posts: 3,027
"Invalid posthash" after clicking submit on a review



using OS X & Chrome, latest versions, but I'm on a very weak wi-fi connection right now.
davie355 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 16, 12:23 pm
  #36  
Administrator
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
"Invalid posthash" after clicking submit on a review

using OS X & Chrome, latest versions, but I'm on a very weak wi-fi connection right now.
Davie, did you find this persisting with a stronger connection?
IBJoel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 16, 1:09 pm
  #37  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 65,141
Wasn't sure to post this in the wiki or the review section. Might do both.

Reviews override wikis when looking at threads. Example, if I go to the Marriott forum & scroll down the list of threads London County Hall is shown. It shows "Review" next to it, but not "Wiki" whereas with other threads that don't have reviews it will show "Wiki". So someone wouldn't know there was a wiki (which quite frankly can be more valuable than reviews at times) unless they open up the thread. Is there a reason "Review" overrides "Wiki", or is there a reason they both can't display when looking at the thread before someone opens it?

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 16, 6:45 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Posts: 3,027
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Davie, did you find this persisting with a stronger connection?
I'm stuck with a weak connection, unfortunately, although I did try to post again. The first time I got the spinning circle but nothing ultimately loaded. The second time I got a cryptic "googletag" error. The third time, my review appears to have posted:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post26880277

but apparently as a regular forum post and with text jumbled.

EDIT: Got a better Internet connection, posted a review from scratch in that same thread, and it looks perfect.

Last edited by davie355; Jul 6, 16 at 11:22 pm
davie355 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 16, 11:25 pm
  #39  
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ASIA
Programs: TK Elite, ALLPlus Platinum (formerly known as Le Club AccorHotels), Hertz PC
Posts: 3,254
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Any *detailed* review that is in the new review format, whether imported or originally written that way, should count. If you see reviews that should count but are not being counted please let us know -- we don't want anyone to miss out!
Several of my reviews aren't counted as the picture count isn't registering that images had been uploaded.
gilbertaue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 16, 9:31 am
  #40  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,313
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I'm stuck with a weak connection, unfortunately, although I did try to post again. The first time I got the spinning circle but nothing ultimately loaded. The second time I got a cryptic "googletag" error. The third time, my review appears to have posted:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post26880277

but apparently as a regular forum post and with text jumbled.

EDIT: Got a better Internet connection, posted a review from scratch in that same thread, and it looks perfect.
I think your assessment is correct. A slow and poor internet connection garbled the original, but the latter copy is everything a review should be and its complete and working. Thanks for taking the time to post a review and to persist in posting it.
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 16, 10:23 am
  #41  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
Checking your reviews now to see what's wrong.

I see there were 2 reviews that were not credited. I have manually uploaded the photos for the one below. Currently, it's below the character threshold to qualify as a detailed review (even though when editing it shows as qualifying) Our tech team figuring this part out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...on-centre.html

The other one is this review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...ty-centre.html

I have manually uploaded the photos. You will need to edit this post to fulfill the category requirement.





Originally Posted by gilbertaue View Post
Several of my reviews aren't counted as the picture count isn't registering that images had been uploaded.

Last edited by IBtyen; Aug 3, 16 at 4:08 pm
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 16, 9:45 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Programs: HH Gold (credit card); IHG Platinum (credit card); WoH whatever the credit card confers
Posts: 855
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Explanations for the badges and review system can be found here (there's also a link in all FT forums):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...views-758.html

...
When I try to open the linked page, I get the message "You do not have permission to access this page."

Probably I just don't understand the layout of a forum page, but I found nothing that suggested to me that a link would lead to a description of badges. (Or maybe I don't understand what a badge is. I assume a badge is an item that appears under a poster's name, but does not appear under most posters' names, like contributor or evangelist.)
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 16, 10:10 am
  #43  
Defunct Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 86
I'm looking into this.

Originally Posted by serpens View Post
When I try to open the linked page, I get the message "You do not have permission to access this page."

Probably I just don't understand the layout of a forum page, but I found nothing that suggested to me that a link would lead to a description of badges. (Or maybe I don't understand what a badge is. I assume a badge is an item that appears under a poster's name, but does not appear under most posters' names, like contributor or evangelist.)
IBtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 16, 4:33 pm
  #44  
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,724
Originally Posted by serpens View Post
When I try to open the linked page, I get the message "You do not have permission to access this page."

Probably I just don't understand the layout of a forum page, but I found nothing that suggested to me that a link would lead to a description of badges. (Or maybe I don't understand what a badge is. I assume a badge is an item that appears under a poster's name, but does not appear under most posters' names, like contributor or evangelist.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/explore/

Here's the live page. The reason you could not open the other link is that it was a short term announcement that's now off.
IBobi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 16, 8:31 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Programs: HH Gold (credit card); IHG Platinum (credit card); WoH whatever the credit card confers
Posts: 855
Thanks, IBobi.

Obviously, FlyerTalk believes I have a true high-speed internet connection. It took many seconds to make anything meaningful visible, more seconds for me to react, and my poor connection is still chugging along at capacity (that's about 200 kB/sec, which I realize is appalling, but I have not completely lost the thrill of ditching the 57.6 kbps modem here in flyover land) as I type this (and I'm not a particularly fast typist). "Improved into unusability" is an expression I coined to describe too many web sites that seek to upgrade my experience, and the linked page is a poster child for that experience.
serpens is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread