Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 25, 18, 3:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.

FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 22, 16, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's an attempt to monetize. It doesn't look like its gaining much momentum.
Old Jun 22, 16, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Former VIP - Fromin's Deli; Encino, CA - 33 years status granted at successor deli - "Uncle Bernies"
As this is not a TalkBoard initiative (rather Internet Brands), we'll move the thread to a location that the ownership will notice it.
Old Jun 23, 16, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch View Post
What's with the sudden emphasis on hotel reviews?

Does the internet REALLY need yet another hotel review site? MAYBE if you're doing something really innovative. Doesn't look like you're trying to do that. There also doesn't appear to be a way to rate reviews. So you're now providing LESS functionality than other well established sites.

This site covers a very diverse set of topics. Surely there are many other categories far more ripe for "innovation" than hotel reviews and (we don't need no stinking) badges.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
It's an attempt to monetize. It doesn't look like its gaining much momentum.
What Doc said. FT is trying to be like TA.

Personally I find the layout of the reviews to be a pain & distracting, since it doesn't match the rest of FT posts. So you're reading something, hit a review that takes you out of seamless reading/jarring, and then go back to normal posts.

And - IB knows that if you quote something from a hotel review post, it all runs together w/ strange characters (which I discovered when I tried quoting a part of a quote & reported), and they didn't have a 'fix date' for that problem.

Speaking only for myself,

a) I don't care about badges. For crikey's sake, TA tells me I'm some advanced person w/ only a handful of reviews on TA, so I find it meaningless. However, some FTers will chase badges which will display & take up more space for those on mobile devices/be distracting. Ugh.

b) I intend never to use the hotel review function & will still post reviews w/ pics within the normal posts of FT, so I'm sharing info w/ my fellow FTers but not submitting them w/ ugly layout, different fonts, etc.

I also agree that the title of the site wide announcement was silly. I thought it was going to be something totally important to FT & then discovered it wasn't.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 16, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hotel reviews / system has been up more than 2 years, so not "sudden"

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Ah yes -- that is an option we didn't think to include but we'll put it into the next iteration; we plan to be responsive on the Expert Reviews tools, and there is already another release scheduled for this summer
i think many will appreciate option to toggle off their own badges
Old Jun 27, 16, 10:58 am

Is IB trying to recreate Groundhog Day? The announcement about Flyertalk changes 'today' has been up for several days

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 16, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
hotel reviews / system has been up more than 2 years, so not "sudden"

i think many will appreciate option to toggle off their own badges
Or toggle off badges entirely. If I wanted Milepoint w/ a gazillion badges/avatar I'd go there. Not having them is one of the things I like about FT.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 16, 1:57 pm
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Is IB trying to recreate Groundhog Day? The announcement about Flyertalk changes 'today' has been up for several days

Cheers.
Fixed
Old Jun 27, 16, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Fixed
Thanks for making this change.
Old Jun 28, 16, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Or toggle off badges entirely. If I wanted Milepoint w/ a gazillion badges/avatar I'd go there. Not having them is one of the things I like about FT.

Cheers.
they did limit it to 2, my initial 'concern' as a reader was what limit was

viewing signatures is toggle-able, would be interesting to have more like that
Old Jun 28, 16, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
OK, so I've noticed that I have a Four Seasons Contributor badge, but I don't know why?

And I went and click on the "stayed here" button for a few of the properties I've stayed at. But I did a filter for Mandarin Oriental and it says that I have already stayed at all of them! Which I haven't.
Old Jun 28, 16, 4:24 pm
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
OK, so I've noticed that I have a Four Seasons Contributor badge, but I don't know why?

And I went and click on the "stayed here" button for a few of the properties I've stayed at. But I did a filter for Mandarin Oriental and it says that I have already stayed at all of them! Which I haven't.
Explanations for the badges and review system can be found here (there's also a link in all FT forums):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...views-758.html

This would be the reason for the FS badge:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...e-village.html

As to the MO properties, I show you stayed at

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...l#post23931073

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...l-bangkok.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...barcelona.html
Old Jun 29, 16, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks IBobi. I think I was misreading the MO section.

This would be the reason for the FS badge:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...e-village.html
Regarding this FS link, it has a date of Dec 31st 2014. But I wrote the review back in 2007 as the OP of the master thread for the property. Did the 2014 review get automatically built without me knowing? I guess that's why I was surprised to see this new badge under my handle.
Old Jun 29, 16, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stimpy, dates reflect when imported

you got an email / PM asking about 'doing something with' your reviews, and you said yes, right ? (back in 2014)

they just launched badges recently

IBobi, why does stimpy have FS badge but not MO badge?
Old Jun 30, 16, 1:42 pm
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Regarding this FS link, it has a date of Dec 31st 2014. But I wrote the review back in 2007 as the OP of the master thread for the property. Did the 2014 review get automatically built without me knowing? I guess that's why I was surprised to see this new badge under my handle.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
stimpy, dates reflect when imported

you got an email / PM asking about 'doing something with' your reviews, and you said yes, right ? (back in 2014)

they just launched badges recently

IBobi, why does stimpy have FS badge but not MO badge?
The date written should not change when imported into the new review form. I'm checking on that. If you have a link to the original location that might help.

Also checking on why no MO badge.

Thanks guys!
Old Jun 30, 16, 1:56 pm
Defunct Account

Hi Stimpy,

In the early stages of the Expert Hotel Review product, in order for the review to become "published" the review(post) had to be re-built and thus changing the date.

Thankfully, this is no longer the case and all reviews retain their original post date.

Thanks!
Tyson

Thanks IBobi. I think I was misreading the MO section.

Search this Thread