Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

Issues with FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews? Report them here!

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 25, 18, 3:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
FT Expert Hotel Reviews Issues

Please report your Expert Hotel Review issues here.


FAQ: Why did FlyerTalk add them"Expert Hotel Review" feature?

The (FlyerTalk) website has rolled out a new hotel guide in which its members rate and review hotels from around the world. FlyerTalk “soft-launched” its Expert Hotel Reviews feature earlier this fall, but is now talking about the effort publicly for the first time.

What’s behind the effort to add hotel reviews? Tarr (Jeremy Tarr, FlyerTalk's editorial director) says such information has long been posted to FlyerTalk over the years, but it typically has come in users’ “trip reports” that have sprung out of the site's frequent-flier focused origins.

“FlyerTalk has a ton of information from a lot of expert travelers who have flown all over the world and stayed at shocking numbers of hotels,” Tarr says. “A lot of that information is often buried in the forums. We wanted to organize it into something that it is much more accessible to a broader audience.”

USA Today, 21 Nov 2016 - link

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 2, 18, 6:57 pm
  #136  
SPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Programs: Starriott Plat100 (Lifetime PPE) Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Posts: 2,200
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Do keep in mind that in order to qualify for a badge, a review must be detailed.

Detailed reviews include:

  • 3+ sections
  • 2,500+ characters
  • 2+ photos
Haha

I WAY exceeded that in all of them. You might call mine SUPER detailed. I added sections, wrote way over 2500 characters and added numerous photos.
bhrubin likes this.
damon88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 18, 8:23 pm
  #137  
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,132
I’m still waiting for the Oberoi hotels badge or Boutique Hotels badge to be created!
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:59 pm
  #138  
Administrator
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,719
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
I’m still waiting for the Oberoi hotels badge or Boutique Hotels badge to be created!
Wow -- I don't know how many people have the blue SPG badge, but it's not many -- congrats!
bhrubin likes this.
IBobi is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:08 pm
  #139  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,132
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Wow -- I don't know how many people have the blue SPG badge, but it's not many -- congrats!
Haha thanks. I was told that I was the first to receive the blue 25+ badge for any chain/group...and at least at the end of 2017, I was the only one on FT to earn that blue badge. Not sure it matters much to mods, though.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:49 pm
  #140  
Administrator
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
Haha

I WAY exceeded that in all of them. You might call mine SUPER detailed. I added sections, wrote way over 2500 characters and added numerous photos.
You're all set!

Last edited by IBJoel; Jul 3, 18 at 3:33 pm
IBJoel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 18, 11:23 am
  #141  
SPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Programs: Starriott Plat100 (Lifetime PPE) Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Posts: 2,200
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
You're all set!
Thank you. Writing the reviews is actually a lot of work, but I consider it a way to pay back my fellow FTers with the added bonus of creating a trip diary.
IBobi and bhrubin like this.
damon88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 18, 8:04 pm
  #142  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD and SDF
Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Posts: 3,304
Some of my pictures are getting uploaded incorrectly - they are getting rotated and I can't seem to fix it. Any ideas?
United747 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:47 am
  #143  
Administrator
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by United747 View Post
Some of my pictures are getting uploaded incorrectly - they are getting rotated and I can't seem to fix it. Any ideas?
Are you uploading directly from your mobile device or were they taken in landscape mode? If so, you might try getting them onto your computer/desktop and seeing if they appear normally.
IBJoel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 18, 2:15 pm
  #144  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD and SDF
Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Posts: 3,304
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Are you uploading directly from your mobile device or were they taken in landscape mode? If so, you might try getting them onto your computer/desktop and seeing if they appear normally.
I’m emailing from mobile device to PC, then downloading from Gmail and uploading from there
IBJoel likes this.
United747 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:36 am
  #145  
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Posts: 3,334
I am trying to upload photos from my laptop to Expert Review, and get the following error message:

There was an error during the upload:
- Error while moving uploaded file to destination folder: check folder permissions on server side

AFAIK, my settings have not changed, and I didn't get this message before. Anyone know what might be the problem? I don't have this problem when uploading photos to "normal" FT messages.
SPBanker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:31 am
  #146  
Administrator
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
I am trying to upload photos from my laptop to Expert Review, and get the following error message:

There was an error during the upload:
- Error while moving uploaded file to destination folder: check folder permissions on server side

AFAIK, my settings have not changed, and I didn't get this message before. Anyone know what might be the problem? I don't have this problem when uploading photos to "normal" FT messages.
How many photos did you try uploading at the same time?
IBJoel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:44 am
  #147  
Administrator
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by United747 View Post


I’m emailing from mobile device to PC, then downloading from Gmail and uploading from there
Had you rotated the pictures in your phone's camera app? Did you take the photos in landscape and want them in portrait or vice-versa? I tested and the auto-rotation occurred on my PC (which then carried over to FT).
IBJoel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:44 am
  #148  
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Posts: 3,334
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
How many photos did you try uploading at the same time?
I tried both one and several (three and four) pics at the same time. In the end I answered the AY+ Forum nonsense thread, uploaded the pics there without any problems, copied the inline pics to the hotel review, and then deleted the nonsense reply. That seemed to do the trick.
SPBanker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 18, 6:53 pm
  #149  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD and SDF
Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
Posts: 3,304
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Had you rotated the pictures in your phone's camera app? Did you take the photos in landscape and want them in portrait or vice-versa? I tested and the auto-rotation occurred on my PC (which then carried over to FT).
The issue is with the pictures I took in portrait orientation. They seem to get rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise when I go to post them.
IBJoel likes this.
United747 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 18, 1:23 pm
  #150  
Administrator
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by United747 View Post


The issue is with the pictures I took in portrait orientation. They seem to get rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise when I go to post them.
I've tested this just about every way I can think of. The only photos that rotated were ones I had edited on my phone to rotate 90 degrees already (so they ended up just reverting to what they'd originally been). Even then, it rotated on on PC, rather than FlyerTalk rotating it. I believe this is a device issue. Are you taking photos with iPhone or Android?
IBJoel is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread