How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Posting a picture / image; how to add or embed an image or video in a post
HOW TO EMBED IMAGES: See tutorial information in posts 1 - 4.

Not every Forum accepts the embedding of images; for those that do, please follow the FlyerTalk Rules. From the FlyerTalk Rules:

8. Posting of Images link to this rule.
You may embed non-animated images in your posts. Your images must conform to all FlyerTalk content rules, must convey relevant, on-topic information and are not allowed in signature lines or user profiles other than in the space designated in your profile for your picture. (See also, Rule 2 — User Profiles.) Please size your images large enough to get your point across but not so that they distort FlyerTalk standard column widths.
To attach of a doc, docx, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, xls or xlsx file from your device, or to add a thumbnail (or up to six thumbnail photos to your post, see the first and second posts in this thread.

If your image fails to load, the first thing to try is clearing your browser’s cache.

NOTE: At this time, embedding animated images is not allowed (see this link to the FlyerTalk rule).

(Posts with embedded or attached videos, files or images made here as tests of how this works will routinely be deleted for systems efficiency.

/Moderators)

IGUANADON
Print Wikipost

How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:41 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by not2017
First, thanks for the fast reply. I initially tried Opera and could not upload any pics. In Chrome, I managed 2 pics. I'm using a Windows desktop, cable modem (so fast), now Chrome. Pics are coming right off the card, stuck in the computer. I have pics on the computer, but I find pics faster on the SD cards. I emptied the cache and that did not help.
Neither my techa nor I can reproduce this; maybe try moving the pics on the card to your PC before uploading? I'm out of advice on this one
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
Test

Old May 7, 2018, 10:47 pm

Examples, how to avoid the embedded slideshow?

using EMBED code in Flickr

modifying the EMBED code so that the link is only to "flic.kr" instead of to the actual photo

Interestingly, in the editing box, both are rendered as thumbnails, and then after submission, the top image is a slideshow (what I don't want) and the bottom is still a thumbnail (which is what I want).

Last edited by MahiMahi524; May 7, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
TESTING
Works fine. Well, I saw your photo of the bathroom before it disappeared.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:56 pm

Haha thanks. I am trying to figure out how to embed Flickr thumbnails with links to the original image without them becoming a memory-intensive/slow-loading slideshow. (Also, whatever server/code they are using for the slideshow is blocked by my work internet.)

Can't seem to figure it out. It seems the backend of the message board somehow recognizes the link as a Flickr album and turns it into a slideshow. If I change the linked URL to something different, or even just flic.kr, it remains a regular thumbnail. For example, in my post above with the bathroom photos, they use the exact same EMBED code, except the bottom image has the link changed from "flic.kr/p/alsdkjflsdjfk" to "flic.kr". (On my computers at least, the top image is being loaded as a slideshow, and the bottom is being loaded as a thumbnail.)

I was looking at my old posts with embedded thumbnails with links to the originals, and if I copy/paste the same code into a new post, it now becomes a slideshow.

Anyone have any solutions?

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Works fine. Well, I saw your photo of the bathroom before it disappeared.

Last edited by MahiMahi524; May 7, 2018 at 11:03 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Haha thanks. I am trying to figure out how to embed Flickr thumbnails with links to the original image without them becoming a memory-intensive/slow-loading slideshow. (Also, whatever server/code they are using for the slideshow is being blocked by my work internet.)

Can't seem to figure it out. It seems the board somehow recognizes the link as a Flickr album and turns it into a slideshow. If I change the linked URL to something different, or even just flic.kr, it remains a regular thumbnail. For example, in my post above with the bathroom photos, they use the exact same EMBED code, except the bottom image has the link changed from "flic.kr/p/alsdkjflsdjfk" to "flic.kr"

I was looking at my old posts with embedded photos with links to the originals, and if I copy/paste the same code into a new post, it now becomes a slideshow.

Anyone have any solutions?
I don't use Flickr, but see if this post helps:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24046515-post177.html
Old May 7, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I don't use Flickr, but see if this post helps:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24046515-post177.html
Thanks for the link; that's pre-auto-slideshow issues. The same EMBED code shown there is what I have been using, and worked great until recently when it started to show slideshows instead of thumbnails.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Seems when I am posting pics, it gets cropped. Is there a way to avoid this?

In this example, the actual picture shows the entire serving tray on top, and the United logo on the bottom of the carpet.
When I post, it gets cut off at the top and bottom. Does not appear to impact the sides.

(Posting from computer on website. Browsing to device to select and upload pic.)

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Cannot upload photos?

When I try to upload photos, the upload dialog appears, but then there is some kind of grey layer that is stopping me. I have tried on iPad, iPhone and Chrome PC and the same happens on all of them.

I would upload a screenshot but...
Old May 16, 2018, 4:21 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Update: it works on Windows 10 Edge.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:09 pm

Old May 16, 2018, 2:11 pm

Working for me on FF and Chrome, desktop.

Be sure you are using the new photo procedure, which is to click the little photo icon in the text editor, and follow the prompts.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Attached is what I still get when I try to upload a photo.
Attached Images  
Old May 16, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Attached is what I still get when I try to upload a photo.
I suggest logging off and back on, and then clearing your browser cache. I think you have a bad copy of FT cached.

After that if still happening, turn off any ad blocker.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Still happening

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.