Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Technical issues subsequent to the 28 Mar 2016 software update
Please use this thread to report bugs experienced with the new FT software

Please browse the FAQ below to see if there's already an answer to your concern. Thank you for your patience and feedback.

For some issues you may be experiencing, try the following (all "in quotes" originally posted by IBobi from Admin, below):

Q. What can I do to make it easier for Admin / Tech to help me resolve issues?

Post information about the operating system and browser, specific versions and plugins you are using, whether using full desktop or mobile site, and screen shots of appropriate size to illustrate what you are seeing.

If you're unsure how to add photos or thumbnails, please read "Posting a photo / picture / image; how to embed an image in a post".

Q. Why so many problems with Windows 10? What can I do to troubleshoot the issues I'm having?

"Windows 10 is very problematic. Only a few users, and if you combine it with IE rather than Edge (which it comes with), moreso. There will only be so much we can do for you.

First, again, I recommend just switching browsers to Chrome or Firefox.

From tech, here are some other steps you can take:

1. If a user has any 3rd party plugins installed in their browser, that can sometimes cause problems. To test this, turn off all the plugins and see if the problem still occurs. If yes, then the plugins are not the problem. If no, then one or more of the plugins is probably the problem (turn them back on one at a time to identify the culprit)

2. Please confirm what browser(s) is being used on Windows 10. When they say IE, do they really mean Edge? Or did they actually install an old version of IE?

3. Are there any other non-standard configuration changes that they made on their browser. If yes, try turning them off like #1 above.

4. Provide any specific page URLs that have the problem (if problem does not occur for all pages)"

Q. What can Windows 10 and Edge, Internet Explorer users do?

"Guys, this software combo seems to be a real Edge case, so there is just not much more we can do right now.

Using a configuration that's as close as we can get to yours, our techs have not been able to replicate your issues.

This is not to say that the issue doesn't exist -- if you google "internet explorer blank tabs issue" you will see that this is IE-related and has been happening to people for years (some suggestions that it is related to having used Norton AV as well...).

I doubt there is much more we can do at this time, other than to again recommend you change browsers to Chrome or Firefox".

Q. Why am I not seeing the thread start date?

"Because this is cookie based, it may help to clear your cookies and starts fresh. Or it may just take some time for the database to reset for all threads and users."

Q. Why can I occasionally and intermittently fail to jump to the first unread post in a thread, or fail to quote for a reply, or attempt to reply and have my post jump to another thread?

We don't know yet, but these seem to be unpredictable, intermittent and possibly contained to a handful of fora. Be assured Tech is aware of these and working to solve these issues. (It's generally more difficult to solve issues when they are intermittent and not readily replicable at will.)

Q. I can't read FT on my iPhone app any longer. Why not?

The app has been unsupported for some time now; it could only be downloaded by surreptitious ways to bypass the App Store. Since the upgrade, the app no longer works. Options include the mobile skin, or using the browser on your mobile with the full desktop version.

Q. I get "500" errors trying to use the mobile site on my Blackberry. What's wring?

"We are looking into the possibility of reviving the Blackberry version, but we are not hopeful given the age and the closed nature of the Blackberry code."

Q. I can't read Wikiposts or subscribe to threads on the mobile site. Why not?

A future version of the mobile site will support both.

Q. How can I switch to the mobile or full web site?

Scroll all the way down to select Mobile Site or Full web display. This will last until ockies are replaced (~24 hours).

Q. Is there any chance FlyerTalk can reverse the "upgrade"?

"There is zero chance we are rolling back. Sorry guys.

There have indeed been a number of issues, but that doesn't mean we just stop innovating. We fix the issues and move forward. This update was an absolute necessity due to some google requirements. Going back is not an option.

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused, and we spent a great deal of time QAing the software prior to going live. But we'll address the issues and move forward, onward."
Print Wikipost

FAQ & feedback: Technical issues following the March 28 2016 software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 1:48 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Posted in the relatively new YYZ border control thread (Air Canada forum) last nte. See post under my profile. Does not show in thread as best I can tell. Re-posted today. Same situation. This has never happened before. Another post I did this morning is in its thread where it should be. Mod notes that posts are out of order which shouldn't happened and suggested I post the tech issue here for resolution/ideas.
Just to be sure I have the proper threads, please post links to them.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by IBobi
Just to be sure I have the proper threads, please post links to them.

US customs labor action at YYZ?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

US customs labor action at YYZ?
Could you post the link to the thread please? Just copy the URL when you're in the thread and paste it into your post here. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:56 pm

Could you post the link to the thread please? Just copy the URL when you're in the thread and paste it into your post here. Thanks.
Well, I did but it's not here. Same as the issue I was describing. If you click "see all posts" by Bartolo, you will see it there. Best I can do.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Well, I did but it's not here. Same as the issue I was describing. If you click "see all posts" by Bartolo, you will see it there. Best I can do.
You pasted the link into your post just above this one, but it's not there? I don't see any evidence of that. Also it is not remotely the issue you described originally. So I think this may be user error. If you have steps I can take to reproduce it, please list them. If you reference a specific thread or post, please paste them into your post. There's not much I can do at this point, as you have posted conflicting information and no links.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:35 am

You pasted the link into your post just above this one, but it's not there? I don't see any evidence of that. Also it is not remotely the issue you described originally. So I think this may be user error. If you have steps I can take to reproduce it, please list them. If you reference a specific thread or post, please paste them into your post. There's not much I can do at this point, as you have posted conflicting information and no links.
Perhaps I didn't describe the issue as clearly as I might have. I originally posted in the AC forum. The post did not show in the thread. When I looked under "find all posts by Bartolo" in my profile I could see what I wrote. But, when I go in thru the thread it's not in the thread list. Same happened in this thread. My second post here -- responding to your question does not show in this thread. I can see it in my profile. I consulted with the AC mod who looked at the posts and thought there was something odd about the way the system logged them. Mod recommended I post here so tech support could review. Mod thought it might be related to a recent fix.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:45 am

Update: just checked thread and the original two posts are now there. Certainly weren't there before.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this thread is dedicated to technical issues related to the recent upgrade to VB, the posts regarding the "Original Poster" badge have been moved to their own thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ft-handle.html.

/Moderator
Old May 14, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm having the problem with the first unread post button not working properly again. It's taking me to the top of the page instead of the first post. Sometimes to the beginning of the thread.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My newest problem -- several times over last few days.

"Post Quick Reply" button crashes browser.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Not for me (Safari, Chrome, latest iterations on latest OS on iPad Air 2).

Listing OS, browser and version is likely to be more useful to Admin / Tech.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:49 am

Because Quick Reply works for me; it's browser-related, possibly your device related.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm having the problem with the first unread post button not working properly again. It's taking me to the top of the page instead of the first post. Sometimes to the beginning of the thread.
Tech is working on this issue, thank you.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

Odd. Try a different browser, or just clear your cache/cookies. If this fails, turn off any browser plugins.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Header hyperlink not linking to first page of thread

I've noticed that the URL in the header of the thread is not linking back to the start of the thread but flyertalk.com/forum

In the screenshot below, at the top my cursor is hovering over the thread title > FAQ & feedback: and the URL shown in the status bar is where that link goes.

Underneath that I'm hovering over > Technical Support and Feedback and that URL goes to the right directory

The thread title hyperlink in the header used to go back to the first page, and right clicking on the hyperlink gave me the option to copy the URL for pasting into other posts. For now I have to use the Page 1 or First link in the page navigation, which is smaller and not so easy...

Getting the same in Chrome and IE11.

Hope I explained that okay
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.