Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Further to my previous post on my own "Is Flyertalk unstable" thread, I hav now had my second instance of this today:

Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posted this in the general thread but also applicable here:
---
I've been having problems with Flyertalk (ads?) over the last couple of weeks, which is annoying as it's probably the website I visit more than any other! The most frequent problem is when browsing the forums, I click to the next page of a topic and seconds later am auto-forwarded to a suspicious looking shopping website called aliexpress.com (they don't get good reviews!). This has happened both at home using Chrome and at work using Firefox.

In addition, I've had lots of "flash plugin has frozen / crashed" style messages but those can easily be ignored.

Tonight, however, an ad at the top of a forum index page (hotel deals) had a fake-looking "click here to upgrade" style message, of the kind I would never click on (but some people may). Going into a topic on the page however then saw "setup.jse" downloaded onto my computer. I have a decent anti-virus and would never open the file but this is a worry. I've not had this issue on any other website, and my PC is only a few weeks old.

Anyone else had similar?

Cheers

Steve
---
I'm in the UK. I've also had nearly all the other issues noted in this thread, including the floating text from an incorrectly rendered ad, and ads on the side covering part of the discussion and the page forward / back links. Happens at work and home.

I'll see if I can get screenshots next time.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:58 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Posted this in the general thread but also applicable here:
---
I've been having problems with Flyertalk (ads?) over the last couple of weeks, which is annoying as it's probably the website I visit more than any other! The most frequent problem is when browsing the forums, I click to the next page of a topic and seconds later am auto-forwarded to a suspicious looking shopping website called aliexpress.com (they don't get good reviews!). This has happened both at home using Chrome and at work using Firefox.

In addition, I've had lots of "flash plugin has frozen / crashed" style messages but those can easily be ignored.

Tonight, however, an ad at the top of a forum index page (hotel deals) had a fake-looking "click here to upgrade" style message, of the kind I would never click on (but some people may). Going into a topic on the page however then saw "setup.jse" downloaded onto my computer. I have a decent anti-virus and would never open the file but this is a worry. I've not had this issue on any other website, and my PC is only a few weeks old.

Anyone else had similar?

Cheers

Steve
---
I'm in the UK. I've also had nearly all the other issues noted in this thread, including the floating text from an incorrectly rendered ad, and ads on the side covering part of the discussion and the page forward / back links. Happens at work and home.

I'll see if I can get screenshots next time.
Please don't double-post. If it needs to be moved, we will move it.

Screen shots appreciated.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
There is either ad, or the precursor to an ad, which is crashing FT for me on both Chrome and Safari. Can't get a screenshot because of what it's doing to my computer... It's a plain white background with light blue arrows spinning clockwise. Just in case anyone else recognises the same issue.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
FT was enjoyable for a few weeks but it has started again.

Sound was so loud, scared the people in the next room.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
FT was enjoyable for a few weeks but it has started again.

Sound was so loud, scared the people in the next room.
That circle of blue arrows (appearing on a white background) is exactly what I am referring to in my post above!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by go_around
That circle of blue arrows (appearing on a white background) is exactly what I am referring to in my post above!
You are referring to this: correct?

First, your computer slows down and this shows

Then, it changes color to this:

Finally, sound comes blasting out of the computer with one of many different ads. This is a FREBREEZE commercial.

Yesterday, my wife and I went shopping and I stopped her from purchasing Frebreeze as my way to protest the ruination of one of my favorite websites.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
You are referring to this: correct?

First, your computer slows down and this shows

Then, it changes color to this:

Finally, sound comes blasting out of the computer with one of many different ads. This is a FREBREEZE commercial.

Yesterday, my wife and I went shopping and I stopped her from purchasing Frebreeze as my way to protest the ruination of one of my favorite websites.
Correct, but it slows my computer town so much I never actually get to the video part. Have never had anything like this from ads on FT until a couple of days ago.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Dunno how to post a screen shot from an iphone (4s) but just got redirected to app store yet again a minute ago from the BA hnl/us gateway meet up thread. Said could not connect to appstore so dont know where it was directing to. Just happened again, brought up the ladbrokes app (uk gambling company). Ive seen that before.

Last edited by jcm9000; Jul 27, 2015 at 4:19 am
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've had to cut out my FT reading due to the redirection of pages to Chinese Shopping websites & load audio ads (which seemingly are everyone elses fault) but this came up on a report from a Bank provided piece of security software:

"Number of character replacement events: 1

July 22 2015 14:37: Password field on flyertalk.com. Anti-keylogging activated"

It may of course not mean anything, but just fyi.

Sure it's my fault anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
So thought as I was logged on i'd have a quick catch up - nope - this happened.

This was a page I was on redirecting me - I can't jump off or go back, just have to close the tab.

This is Chrome Version 44.0.2403.89 m - although I normally use Firefox and the same thing happens multiple times.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just started popping up in the last couple of days...

Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Just started popping up in the last couple of days...
Agreed, and when I try to view FT on my iPhone, the ad is impossible to close (which usually means that I don't get to view FT on the phone).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:24 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Thank you for the reports and thank you VERY MUCH for the screen shots, everyone!

We will look into these immediately.

Paul
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, HH Gold, Etihad Silver
UK based using Safari on ipad

Pop up and taken to new site

Overlays the top of the forum so page numbers can't be clicked

Not disruptive but is a "Hot Russians" dating site appropriate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.