FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews -- comments, suggestions, and support

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk Expert Hotel Reviews -- comments, suggestions, and support

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

everything in forum has new dates, where each large batch of imports have matching date, thats what was being discussed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 13, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:46 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
everything in forum has new dates, where each large batch of imports have matching date, thats what was being discussed
You're probably only looking in the Expert Hotel Reviews forum. The only reviews that appear there are ones that are written from one's profile page, or from the Map/Search page in the hotel review section; also, reviews that were migrated to the new format, back at the beginning of 2015.

So, you will see reviews with "new dates" because they were converted before the conversion tool, which maintains the original date, or reviews that are actually new, and created in the Map/Search page.

There are many other reviews in the individual hotel program forums, and they will have the same date as the original post (or they will actually BE new reviews), unless they were converted back at the start of 2015.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
On a similar point I was about to make - didn't want to on the thread - but I read this review - which is at least 8 years old:

You should date the reviews
is what i was i was responding to
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is what i was i was responding to
Reviews that are converted now will retain the original date.

Review that were converted early in the year will have the conversion date.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This just occurred to me. What makes the Expert Reviews an expert? Anyone can do a review; that doesn't make them an expert on the topic!

In fact I just read a review in a forum that actually had good things to say about a property but one FTer posted a negative review because he had a (silly) problem & yet it got put into the 'review' wiki thing vs. other reviews of the property within the thread itself. If we had read that review on TripAdvisor most of us would have shrugged it off, and I'm assuming most FTers will as well. But it does beg the question of why to call the reviews "Expert" when it can be any person posting.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I noticed the new button some time back but never gave it much thought until now.

I used to post my hotel reviews in FT as well as TripAdvisor so as to contribute to both forums but I stopped posting much here because it was such a pain in the butt to embed photos. I think photos taken by travelers are pretty important to giving more accurate detail of a property.

I totally get where IB/FT is trying to take things and think it will help a lot with folks like me that liked to post reviews with photos but hated the process. One thing that I noticed when testing it out, looks like you have to do one photo at a time? That is a bit of a pain I think.

I do think there is some value in FT reviews vs TA reviews as we tend to be more points and benefits oriented where as most TA reviews don't really go into those details as much. I don't think TA has much to worry about though.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I noticed the new button some time back but never gave it much thought until now.

I used to post my hotel reviews in FT as well as TripAdvisor so as to contribute to both forums but I stopped posting much here because it was such a pain in the butt to embed photos. I think photos taken by travelers are pretty important to giving more accurate detail of a property.

I totally get where IB/FT is trying to take things and think it will help a lot with folks like me that liked to post reviews with photos but hated the process. One thing that I noticed when testing it out, looks like you have to do one photo at a time? That is a bit of a pain I think.

I do think there is some value in FT reviews vs TA reviews as we tend to be more points and benefits oriented where as most TA reviews don't really go into those details as much. I don't think TA has much to worry about though.
That is great feedback! I'll be in touch via PM to pick your brain some more, if you don't mind

Paul
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I feel a bit sheepish.... I received several emails from Internet Brands saying they wanted to use my reviews. I didn't respond because I didn't understand the purpose.

I have written extensive reviews, many with photos, at properties I have stayed at since I joined FT. Is it too late to be included?
Sorry: included in what? It kind of sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I have this issue as well. I'd like to upload photos but I'm not uploading 20 one by one. A bulk upload option would be handy.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by danger
Sorry: included in what? It kind of sounds interesting.

I have this issue as well. I'd like to upload photos but I'm not uploading 20 one by one. A bulk upload option would be handy.
Included in having your existing reviews migrated over to the new format (we do this upon request for any/all reviews you nominate).

And yes, I totally agree, we should enable bulk photo uploads for reviews -- already in the tech question pipeline

Any other questions/comments about the new format? I'm all ears!

Paul
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
When I try to upload photos, it is rotating them so they are sideways. And I do not see an option to rotate back to upright. Any help?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ray1022
When I try to upload photos, it is rotating them so they are sideways. And I do not see an option to rotate back to upright. Any help?
Certain (iphone especially) photos contain EXIF metadata that is supposed to supply information to the photo uploader about whether they were taken in landscape or portrait mods. When that data is not present, the photos are rotated the wrong way.

The only way to fix this right now is to manually save them in the correct orientation before uploading to FT.

Thank you! We are working on a way to rotate them post-upload soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.