ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:13 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Ad Blocking

My phone browser was hijacked five times yesterday. I scrambled to run malwarebytes scans and reset the phone thinking that I’d been infected, but it was resolved when I switched from Chrome to Firefox with Ad Block. On review, I think I may have been inadvertently clicking the banner ads while scrolling around in “full site” view on a website that we hold close to our hearts.

Coincidentally, I was engaged in a lively discussion where a passenger was downgraded (after boarding). Was it the airline’s fault? Or should the pax have acquiesced to policy? Well, I put the two events together and have to ask: are we properly directing blame for ads (and blockers)?

I see quite a few websites out there that take issue with ad blocking. I fully understand why the ads are necessary and how they keep sites like FT “free”. But when some sites plaster ads in obtrusive places and there’s an increasing risk that the ads are malware, why is the user “wrong” for blocking them? Why do sites blame the users and (seemingly) fail to recognize their own responsibility to manage their content?

Websites want to operate with their existing revenue models. Users want to continue using websites for free. But when users would rather risk loss of access to a site because the ads present too much risk … both sides lose.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
YES YES YES

The new FT ads have become very intrusive. I occasionally hear short bursts of sound that originate from one of the many ads on FT. This is a complaint of mine when videos/sound automatically play on a webpage, which irks me (CNN is very guilty here).

My least favorite are the Trivago ads on mobile FT which "hijack" my text cursor and force me to their mini booking engine. No, I am reading a thread on the Hilton forum. I am not interested in being forced to book a flight originating from New York!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Amelorn
YES YES YES

The new FT ads have become very intrusive
Yeah - I finally had to ....... FT because they are cramming so many ads onto the page that it makes navigating FT impossibly slow.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The ads FT serves up also include a ton of the stupid "Your device is infected with the virus (16!) Click Here to Cleanse!!!" ads which redirect to their ad over and over again. I usually have to close the window, and bring FT back up, when those ads start.

That, and the "Congratulations Verizon Customer! You are the winner of $100 Amazon gift card!!!" ads.

Both redirect away from the page you were browsing and try to intercept attempts to return to the prior page you were on. I get these on a couple of other web sites on my mobile devices, too, but FT seems to be the worst offender.

Seriously, Chrome for Android needs to have some better ad-blocking options.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s been announced that Chrome will start blocking ads internally on Feb. 15.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...february-15th/

i too have have been getting a lot of intrusive ads like the ones described above on FT.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
The ads FT serves up also include a ton of the stupid "Your device is infected with the virus (16!) Click Here to Cleanse!!!" ads which redirect to their ad over and over again. I usually have to close the window, and bring FT back up, when those ads start.

That, and the "Congratulations Verizon Customer! You are the winner of $100 Amazon gift card!!!" ads.

Both redirect away from the page you were browsing and try to intercept attempts to return to the prior page you were on. I get these on a couple of other web sites on my mobile devices, too, but FT seems to be the worst offender.

Seriously, Chrome for Android needs to have some better ad-blocking options.
Yeah: this thread is on page 52 now https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-shots-52.html
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
To those who are Missing posts, please stop flogging dead horses and making posts that are attacks, overly personal or otherwise disruptive (including advocating ad blocking software use). Posts that meet those criteria will be summarily deleted. Members who continue make noncontributive and disruptive posts may be disciplined.

We know there’s a problem; many members have helpfully shared specifics such as device, operating system, browser, screen shots, etc. The problem has persisted in spite of time, and whatever Internet Brands has attempted to solve the issue has been insufficient. IB undoubtedly understands ads bringing income need viewers, and a diminution of viewers is harmful to that revenue stream.

We have heard from IBobi that they hope to resolve this issue close to the new year. Let’s see what happens.

Regardless, the Rules (link) still apply in this forum. Please continue documenting disruptive and rogue ads here, providing the requested information. IB needs that input. But please continue doing so civilly.

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 25, 2017 at 12:17 pm
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
I was on the following page and received the below pop up:

WWYD in this case to get to YYC-YYZ?

I’m on an iPhone 6S, using safari, and accessing from the US.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for your post and your patience. The specifics really do help.

These, along with the phony virus infection warnings and browser page hijacks, are disconcerting.

Hopefully Internet Brands has figured out the source and will be able to control that within a week or two, as mentioned above by IBobi.

/JDiver, Co-Moderator
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I’m browsing this exact page in this forum and got the pop up and redirect ad.

I also got it in the HHonors and Delta Skymiles forums. Terrible. Makes the website unusable.

FlyerTalk should be embarrassed by the level of infiltration of toxic ads.

It it has been happening for months on iOS 11 and above using Safari on both the desktop and mobile sites.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Add me to the list of You won an Amazon gift card! pop-ups. iPhone 6 Plus. It is so persistent I thought I had some malware on my phone.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Add me to the list of You won an Amazon gift card! pop-ups. iPhone 6 Plus. It is so persistent I thought I had some malware on my phone.
Same here.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:07 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

This crap is back. Accessing using iPhone X with Chrome from Oregon.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver

We know there’s a problem; many members have helpfully shared specifics such as device, operating system, browser, screen shots, etc. The problem has persisted in spite of time, and whatever Internet Brands has attempted to solve the issue has been insufficient. IB undoubtedly understands ads bringing income need viewers, and a diminution of viewers is harmful to that revenue stream.

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator
Thank you for acknowledging that this problem has persisted in spite of time. The issue I have is that the “time” part seems to be over a year or more and yet we are told that a solution is coming in the New Year.
Hopefully the upcoming solution will solve the problem, I do however wonder why of all the Internet forums I frequent none of them have anywhere near the issues that FT has with disruptive ads/malware pop ups. Why is this - surely knowing the reason would lead to a solution?
In the meantime whilst posting this I continue to get the Amazon pop up as shown on post above on both Iphone 7+ and IPad both under Safari and IOS 11.2.1 browsin* from Hawaii on Time Warner Cable.
RacingJunkie likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by atword

Again today
I’m getting this one every 5-10 minutes with a redirect away from the site. It’s making it very difficult to use FT. I’m seeing it on an iPad and iPhone X with Chrome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.