ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911

Maybe there is hope ahead.

Of course there is and the 3 comments on the article are proof.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:26 pm

Totally Fed up with this Virus Infected Forum

Every time I got on to FlyerTalk and open up a thread I get this warning message about my computer infected with a virus etc. I just close down and and ignore it but this has been going on for a fortnight now. Surely someone can do something about it? FlyerTalk is obviously infected by something apart from enthusiasm. In a few days I'm off to Chile and Antarctica etc which is a good reason to ignore this Forum.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:04 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, no, this forum (luxury hotels and travel) is almost certainly not infected. I don't get messages like that and I don't know anyone else who does either. It's far, far more likely that it's your computer which is infected and it is something (most likely adware) on your computer generating that message

Try to access the forum from a completely separate computer, one which has never been in contact with any one which gets that message. If you don't see the message, there, that will be further evidence that it is not the forum.

I am going to move this thread to the technical support forum where you will almost certainly get far more information from the knowledgable posters there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:40 am

I get Google Ads all the time when accessing through an iOS device, so I can relate to this. It has never happened to me when I use my MacBooks however.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Well, no, this forum (luxury hotels and travel) is almost certainly not infected. I don't get messages like that and I don't know anyone else who does either. It's far, far more likely that it's your computer which is infected and it is something (most likely adware) on your computer generating that message

Try to access the forum from a completely separate computer, one which has never been in contact with any one which gets that message. If you don't see the message, there, that will be further evidence that it is not the forum.

I am going to move this thread to the technical support forum where you will almost certainly get far more information from the knowledgable posters there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
No, Richard, it's not my computer. Check in the Tech forum and you'll see several other related threads from people who get exactly the same thing.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Every time I got on to FlyerTalk and open up a thread I get this warning message about my computer infected with a virus etc. I just close down and and ignore it but this has been going on for a fortnight now. Surely someone can do something about it? FlyerTalk is obviously infected by something apart from enthusiasm. In a few days I'm off to Chile and Antarctica etc which is a good reason to ignore this Forum.
Could be a false virus add like in post 692 as below
Originally Posted by Noppasit
Sometimes I got redirected to a page with fake virus warning ads without clicking anything, has anyone encountered to this recently? There is no sign of adware or virus on my laptop (if there is there would be more ads), so I believe is the ads itself that has a nasty function to redirect my page. Moderators, could you please check this?
Post a screen image in that thread. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...-shots-18.html

But your problem may not be FT/IB related
AStarr likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:08 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Those are ads that pretend to inform you your computer is infected as a mean to incentive you to click on their "download" button which would activate the download and install of a proper malware (virus, trojan, keylogger). Malicious ads like that prey on gullible users and are at best immoral, at worst illegal. IB and the censors do not condone those illegal actions and do not act on the feedback (+50 pages thread) on this subject. You know what to do !
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Had the same problem but only on my iPhone. Installed an adblocker and problem solved. Now FT ask all the time to disable it, but sorry I will not do.....
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

This is the view when i type on iPhone. The cursor and first line is hidden behind the menu bar.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by florens

This is the view when i type on iPhone. The cursor and first line is hidden behind the menu bar.
you are posting in the wrong thread
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:38 pm

Had a couple redirects on my android this morning, after weeks of good behavior from FT. Was able to back out of these, unlike other experiences in the past. I'll screenshot it if it happens again...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Goldorak
you are posting in the wrong thread
Damn. I apologize.

Can a mod move it, please?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Instead of the never-ending whac-a-mole, what is management's long term strategy to avoid all these bad ads plaguing the site?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
On the Trip Reports forum (and others, only just remembered to post!)

Pop up screen

Virus message

False history added
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:17 am

IPhone 8. Issue with the side banner...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.