Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I have had similar this weekend...

Make sure you have a good anti-virus and run it, do a full scan... never rely on websites saying you have malware installed.

I use AVAST, works well
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

I get this a lot on my iPhone and iPad.

An advert appears that can only be removed by closing the browser and clearing history.

This only happens with FlyerTalk
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Sorry, cant recall the forum but most likely BA.

Takes over the screen, and appears to add fake history as back button does not return me to FlyerTalk.

Usually UK based however screenshot was when I was in Chicago.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everyone, I ran my antivirus software as well, and also Malwarebytes and no issues found [redacted] I'll try and do a screenshot if it happens again to report it.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 11, 2017 at 7:36 am Reason: Removed discussion of software not approved by IB
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As Mwenenzi has correctly pointed out this should be addressed to Internet Brands (IB) the owner of FlyerTalk. Moderators cannot do anything other than to move this thread to the appropriate forum. You will almost certainly be asked to provide screenshots.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Sealink

I get this a lot on my iPhone and iPad.

An advert appears that can only be removed by closing the browser and clearing history.

This only happens with FlyerTalk
Got the same thing this morning. Notice how they fill the immediate browser history with redirects so you can't go back X pages and get out of it. Just reminded me to turn on the Ad Blocker on my iPad, too.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
This is becoming such a widespread problem which is unfortunate. But if it can't be fixed in short order, maybe one of those site-wide sticky announcement post (whatever you call it) about the issue would be helpful until such time as it's rectified. Ideally the announcement could provide some sort of a status update on what is being done about the issue and an estimated time for resolution.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Happens all the time on mobile and it's ridiculously annoying. The only way to get back to the page I was on is to close the tab and start all over.

For a while they had the ads that would automatically open the app store. That was even more annoying.

Site's gotta stay up somehow, I guess.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moderator's note: Please confine discussion to the topic at hand, rather than a) software that IB has disallowed discussion of and which the moderators have little choice but to enforce, or b) discussion of moderator actions. Thank you.

cblaisd and JDiver, Co-Moderators, Technical Support forum.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 11, 2017 at 3:26 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by 84fiero
what is being done about the issue
I can write the status update for you. Nothing.
Cynicor likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:08 pm
Defunct Account

Thanks for the screenshot. Will update our report with this one. I also got the previously submitted screenshots as well (amazon spam)

Originally Posted by atword
Again today
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BRK-B
There is this one too, does anyone know why I got this?

Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:44 am

Well, it looks like we're not allowed to discuss some things that I installed on my computer solely for use on FT, so I'll just say this: You don't have to worry about losing revenue from me while I use server resources, because the user experience here is now so bad that I visit less than 10% of what I used to.
wheresmybagba and BadgerBoi like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Timely article this morning with mention of Flyertalk.

How to stop rogue ads that can set you up for malware

The traditional approach of reporting sketchy content to a site’s owner — see, for instance, the 46 pages of posts flagging ”Disruptive Ads” on the popular travel site FlyerTalk, or the frustration publishers voice on Reddit’s AdOps subreddit — doesn’t work well when there are so many scammers who can cloak their identities so easily.

One answer is smarter screening of programmatic ads to catch the con jobs. Confiant, for example, offers an ad-industry equivalent of malware protection; Mangin said his company’s system can catch and stop a hostile ad before it can finish loading in a browser.

FlyerTalk’s parent firm Internet Brands, meanwhile, is now evaluating services from the ad-monitoring firms The Media Trust and GeoEdge, said spokesman Joe Ewaskiw.
Maybe there is hope ahead.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Not sure if my report belongs here or is duplicative of others.

I am constantly having sidebar ads float over the content I am trying to read, or the box where I am trying to write a reply. It is happening right now as I type this. Appears to be especially bad for me in the WN forum.

Using iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 11.1.2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.