Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I have Flash disabled but noticed SOME of the video HTML5 ads (mix of them not one) are hanging Chrome for about 10-20 secs - NEVER seeing this on any other site. Normally it's when I'm running other apps and come back and the HTML5 ad tries to replay. Something isnt' right in that HTML5 ad object you are using

Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Mac OS 10.13

If I use Chrome's Task Switcher it will show for an idle FT page with nothing happening 140-160% CPU usage (Multicore system). I see no on screen video playing and the scroll keys/trackpad don't respond. 30 sec later it's fine. Not seeing this on other site HTML5 ads or auto video play
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:23 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Thank you all, we continue to report these as they come in.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No idea what's causing it, but there are HUGE memory leaks all over FT. I believe it's caused by ads. See attached. Windows 7 on Chrome (fast processor and 32GB RAM). Even on this page, where there's only one ad showing up, FT is using a huge amount of resources.

Animated ads are really big offenders here. Not to mention the side bar ads that continually change as you scroll up and down the page. Add infinite scroll to the party and it's just terrible.

Honestly, it's bad all over FT at this point. It's impossible to read a picture-heavy trip report without using an ad blocker. Other FT windows left open consume a ton of resources (constantly loading new ads, videos and animations). The video ads are by far the worst offenders, as the videos cannot be stopped and they auto-play with audio constantly.

I had to re-enable my ad blocker for FT in order to post this message as a quick reply. With FT whitelisted on my ad blocker, my entire system got too laggy to get through typing this message. It's really bad.

I like to support the site and I do like the benefits of having ads enabled, but it's really just not worth the trade off anymore. There's gotta be a way to display ads that don't lock up my system and ruin my ability to use FT.
Attached Images  
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
No idea what's causing it, but there are HUGE memory leaks all over FT. I believe it's caused by ads. See attached. Windows 7 on Chrome (fast processor and 32GB RAM). Even on this page, where there's only one ad showing up, FT is using a huge amount of resources.

Animated ads are really big offenders here. Not to mention the side bar ads that continually change as you scroll up and down the page. Add infinite scroll to the party and it's just terrible.

Honestly, it's bad all over FT at this point. It's impossible to read a picture-heavy trip report without using an ad blocker. Other FT windows left open consume a ton of resources (constantly loading new ads, videos and animations). The video ads are by far the worst offenders, as the videos cannot be stopped and they auto-play with audio constantly.

I had to re-enable my ad blocker for FT in order to post this message as a quick reply. With FT whitelisted on my ad blocker, my entire system got too laggy to get through typing this message. It's really bad.

I like to support the site and I do like the benefits of having ads enabled, but it's really just not worth the trade off anymore. There's gotta be a way to display ads that don't lock up my system and ruin my ability to use FT.
Interesting...I have been experiencing the same issues, but didn't correlate them to FT until you posted this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swingaling

One thing that has been reported in the news lately is the use of Javascript Cryptocurrency Miner by some sites.

In recent months, several JavaScript-based cryptocurrency miners have appeared. The idea, supposedly, is that instead of showing your visitors ads, you have their CPU run the calculations necessary to mine a currency like Bitcoin. As the administrator, you could control the CPU load and reap any resulting coins. CoinHive is a new business that offers this as a service.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/13/su...f-other-sites/
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Also still seeing these issues on Chrome hanging - NOT seeing this on any of the other 30 sites I visit a day, ONLY FT. There is a clearly a broken or malicious video player HTML5 control out there. Just right now total hang and had to kill the page.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Random survey today that redirected me:

Name:  C2EDADCF-5078-4687-9D5F-D8D97E283E72.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  170.1 KB

iPhone X
iOS 11.1.1 Mobile Safari
United States
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Another fun one that just popped up.

Name:  1FD9BB9D-D6E8-4756-9B31-7B958215C692.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  221.4 KB
Name:  66C492C4-C4B2-4690-BAFF-A1593F069310.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  310.5 KB

With fake Facebook reviews too!
Name:  00DD0F37-CDE5-4E77-B5FD-C4B7B4428B8E.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  299.7 KB

iPhone X
iOS 11.1.1 Mobile Safari
United States
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA
"Your [device] is infected" popup when browsing FlyerTalk

I have been getting a persistent popup "warning" about my device (which happens to be a Samsung Galaxy tablet), only when I'm looking at FlyerTalk pages. I've googled a bit aobut it and gather that these are only persistent ads, not real infections, but they are getting increasingly annoying, occurring multiple times per day, and I'd like to know if anyone knows how to stop them.

They only happen when I am looking at FlyerTalk using the Chrome browser on this tablet. Not on other devices, not other websites. Yes I've run antivirus scans, yes I've cleared the Chrome history and cache. Some of the suggested fixes I've seen (e.g., delete all apps, factory reset) seem impractical.

Why, I wonder, does this only happen when I'm on FlyerTalk on my tablet?

Last edited by cubbie; Nov 11, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I've been getting the exact same thing recently. I've also had it on various news websites. I inquired to my local newspaper about the issue and they said it was something with Google's ad service allowing through phishing ads designed to infect your device with a virus. They said that they can't control the ads Google displays on their website and Google won't fix it.

THIS is the exact reason I use ad blocker software on my laptop. I have no problem with reasonable ads to fund the site, but when this repeatedly occurs I have no other choice.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Same thing the past few days chrome on Nexus 6P. and Nexus 7.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Lost
THIS is the exact reason I use ad blocker software on my laptop. I have no problem with reasonable ads to fund the site, but when this repeatedly occurs I have no other choice.
Yes.

Just saw this popup the other day on my tablet

And yes, I realize that "[o]ne easy way you could help [FlyerTalk] is by disabling your AdBlocker" but between scam popups on Android and large video ads on my PC that make the page take forever to load and sometimes autoplay, I have no choice.

Plenty of other sites exercise a bit of control over the advertising presented. I enjoy FlyerTalk and would be happy to support the site by looking at ads, but not when I'm going to get autoplay videos, sorry.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA
Thanks for all the input. So I guess my next step is to install an adblocker app on my Samsung tablet and see if that solves the problem. I'll be back to report.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:03 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi cubbie. This sounds like an ad hijack. Are you able to post a screenshot?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:54 pm

Google is scheduled to block these popups (or popunders) on the next version of chrome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.