Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Old May 25, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Is anyone going to fix this crapshow?
Rest assured that we are working on each ad that gets reported
So... that's a no. C'mon, IB, you need to solve the hijacking problem at the root, like every other website that I encounter seems to have been able to.

The other day I actually needed some information from Flyertalk while I was on the way to the airport; I *couldn't get it* because FT effectively doesn't work if you're on cellular data.

It would be nice if a website aimed at travellers worked while you were travelling, you know?

Grr.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Please post a screen shot. We don't see all the ads so the only way for us to kill a specific one is for us to see a pic of it.
Is that really true? Do your ad providers offer no control of being able to select what kind of ads are shown: static images, GIFs, auto-playing videos, etc? It should not be down to community to feed you information for this whack-an-ad adventure.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:47 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by techie
Is that really true? Do your ad providers offer no control of being able to select what kind of ads are shown: static images, GIFs, auto-playing videos, etc? It should not be down to community to feed you information for this whack-an-ad adventure.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe IB can go and pre-select which ads to display or not display ahead of time (since they have the ability to turn off ones that are reported as "bad"). I think it's closer to "they choose not to" than not having the ability. IB owns other bulletin boards (possibly many more) and pre-screening ads is nowhere near the top of their priority list system-wide, unfortunately.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just tried to view a thread. I had to exit and enter the thread webpage 5 times to be able to view it without a redirect to the App Store.

And now I lost my place in the 40 page thread.

Great website ruined by the awful adverts.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Why can't IB just use only ads that have at the very least been screened by DoubleVerify, instead of the swath of providers they choose to go with, where it seems quality control is too much to ask for.

Honestly.

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; May 28, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 2:51 pm

Just now ad from get-today.com hijacked the browser. I do not have a screen shot.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:46 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by zitsky
Just now ad from get-today.com hijacked the browser. I do not have a screen shot.
Thank you, I'll report this one. What device/browser are you using?
Old May 30, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Thank you, I'll report this one. What device/browser are you using?
Android and Chrome
Old May 31, 2017, 12:46 am

Browser hijacking (to merge)

I switched back to iPhone from Android and I'm disappointed to see FlyerTalk is still virtually unusable on iPhone due to browser hijacking adverts. This stuff doesn't actually make you all money. It costs you money as it puts people including me off from visiting FlyerTalk or de facto mandates the use of ........ as the site doesn't work without one.

At least Apple has improved their behaviour so you have to hit yes to get hijacked. Makes the hijack slightly less irritating. Very very slightly as the site still doesn't work.

Edit - sorry for wrong thread, but since I obviously don't have screenshots I didn't think it fit here. FlyerTalk is completely unusable on iPhone... how does this even help you?

Last edited by AllieKat; Jun 1, 2017 at 1:21 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
more of the same ... interestingly, these popups only appeared when I was browsing Delta

iphone 6s running ios 10.3.1
Attached Images    
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:54 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Thank you jrl, I have reported this.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've won my 214th through 218th $1,000 gift cards today. iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.1.1, Safari, USA.

Posting attachment directly from phone, so I assume and apologize that it will be enormous.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:34 pm

I thought these went away but they seem to be back. "Win an iPhone" style ones, will post screen shots.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:04 pm

Is it only us in the UK who are subjected to the never-ending stream of browser hijacking, because there's never been a break in it. FlyerTalk simply does not work on iPhone, end of story. It is hijacked about every other click. Mostly Sky bet... but some others too...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Is it only us in the UK who are subjected to the never-ending stream of browser hijacking, because there's never been a break in it. FlyerTalk simply does not work on iPhone, end of story. It is hijacked about every other click. Mostly Sky bet... but some others too...
NO!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.