ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 8:22 am

Well, the hijacks don't appear to be completely limited to iOS devices. Got this last night on Windows 7 using IE. Note that some info (like my IP address) has been removed from this screenshot.

I loaded a couple threads in new tabs, and when I went to the first one, it had been redirected to this page.

No, my computer is not infected with anything. The warning is obviously 100% fake, but I even double checked before posting (full scans with antivirus and malwarebytes pro) to ensure that it didn't originate on my end.

Old May 3, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by navylad
1. They appear so regularly, such that they probably fill my advert banners on FT about 75% of the time.
2. The offers elapse and they continue to advertise.
3. The are often misleading, hence they have had their knuckles wrapped by the ASA on two occasions.

I do take other issues with Heathrow Express who do also use some scrupulous sales techniques such as hiking up prices in order to offer sale prices that seam more reasonable than they actually are, but that isn't a matter of these particular adverts.
Most of those can be better dealt with by UK bodies who deal with misleading advertising and bad trading practices.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by techie
Most of those can be better dealt with by UK bodies who deal with misleading advertising and bad trading practices.
Indeed, I didn't post in this forum, my post was moved here by moderators, I posted in community buzz in order to see if other people found it as an issue or not.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:39 am

As a matter of principal, I've never used an ad blocker. I know how the internet works, how it's monetized, etc., and I fully support websites that I use and want to continue to have available. I occasionally even click on semi-interesting ads for no reason, just to throw a little money your way.

But FT's implementation of its ads is making me consider getting an ad blocker, if only for this site. No other site destroys my system resources like FT does. If I get on here and open up a few tabs at the same time, it's not unusual to hear my CPU fan go on. This is a system with an i7 and 16GB of RAM, and your website has a noticeable performance impact.

Just throwing that out there. When your ads are driving people to use ad blockers because of performance issues, there's something wrong. Blocked ads aren't going to make anybody money.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:13 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I find myself in this. FT is the reason I use an ad blocker and one of the few site not white listed.
When your customer tell you this, you should think twice.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Ads are not going away and they are not going to be pre-screened. We know that much from posts in this thread. Make of that what you will and act accordingly.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by techie
Ads are not going to be pre-screened. Make of that what you will and act accordingly.
What an absolute shame.

Unfortunately at this point, I have to follow suit, the fact that you don't have complete control or at least just a tad more oversight over your ads is frustrating and has driven me to remove FT from my whitelisted sites on my ad blocker.

I simply cant take this game of Russian roulette any longer. After months of people reporting ads, I still have to fear that 1/10 times I visit a FT page I risk the possibility of getting my PC infected from a website that unlike literally every other site I use can't act responsibly.

I don't think its much to expect that if you're going to make money off our visits that your ads be trustworthy and lead to legitimate and relatable companies (what ads are supposed to do)

I also think we should be shamed for using one when it's a matter of security. Lets be honest, as far as this thread goes, until some more action is done other than block specific reported ads, this thread'll will be about as effective at keeping members safe as the TSA is at stopping terrorists.

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; May 6, 2017 at 5:06 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 11:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

screenshot tool
Old May 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is anyone going to fix this crapshow?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Schwann
Is anyone going to fix this crapshow?
It doesn't seem so, nope!
Old May 22, 2017, 2:31 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by florens
It doesn't seem so, nope!
Rest assured that we are working on each ad that gets reported, it's just that new ones will always crop up. I alerted tech to the site you posted. were you running iOS 10?
Old May 23, 2017, 12:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Rest assured that we are working on each ad that gets reported, it's just that new ones will always crop up. I alerted tech to the site you posted. were you running iOS 10?
Yes, 10.3.2.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Please drop the auto-playing video ads. The most common one is for Alaska Airlines credit card. Having 3 of those on the same page further compounds the offense.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:48 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by armus
Please drop the auto-playing video ads. The most common one is for Alaska Airlines credit card. Having 3 of those on the same page further compounds the offense.
Please post a screen shot. We don't see all the ads so the only way for us to kill a specific one is for us to see a pic of it.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The coincidentally ironic screenshot is attached. There's generally at least 3 of the square ads in a page for a thread and all can end up as an auto-play video.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.