ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by armus
I get this distuptive ad about once a week. It replaces the FT content and pressing back doesn't get back to FT. Iphone5 in USA.
Getting the same one, multiple times during the same session, on an iPad using safari. Started a few days ago.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Getting the same one, multiple times during the same session, on an iPad using safari. Started a few days ago.
Same here.

When browsing on my iPhone (Safari), the forums will behave very sluggishly and my iPhone will get incredibly hot to the touch. Something on this site is eating up a ton of processing power.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:54 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Ads are the ones eating those power. They also drains the battery and increase by a multiplier of 2-3 times the amount of MBy used when browsing the site.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Same ad here on Android tablet
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
2 things to report about the ads below:

a) Having an ad both above and below the forums header is overkill
b) That betting ad shouldn't be shown (the other one is not really relevant either tbh)

Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
I get all kind of redirects to crappy ads and even to the App store every single time I click on a thread.

iPhone 6s, Safari.

This is ridiculous!!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I have to ask: what is the planned long-term solution to continuous recurrence of disruptive ads on FT or will it forever be a game of whack-a-mole? Some websites I know of have offered an ad-free experience for a small annual contribution. It would be good to know if that is a business model that you have considered.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:04 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by techie
I have to ask: what is the planned long-term solution to continuous recurrence of disruptive ads on FT or will it forever be a game of whack-a-mole? Some websites I know of have offered an ad-free experience for a small annual contribution. It would be good to know if that is a business model that you have considered.
We are attempting to deal with the problem ads as they arise. I would expect, like many sites, we will never be totally problem free. We do hope to be able to offer a premium ads-free service at some point, but that is independent of our effort to provide only good ads on FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by IBobi
We are attempting to deal with the problem ads as they arise. I would expect, like many sites, we will never be totally problem free. We do hope to be able to offer a premium ads-free service at some point, but that is independent of our effort to provide only good ads on FlyerTalk.
Are there mechanisms for you to be able to pre-approve ads that are shown or restrict categories of ads that are displayed?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Clicking on a thread from the forums main page resulted in a full-screen page, with a repeating Yes/No popup and an attempt to steal browser data - see the extension that it tries to install in the background!

This is seriously nasty stuff, and I have to say that FT is having more and more of these 'issues'. Especially on mobile this is a problem, but sometimes - like this time - even on a full desktop version.

Browser: Chrome latest version

Screenshot:

Had to kill chrome to prevent it from installing the plugin. Looking at the plugin description it seems that over 30K people have already fallen victim of this BS app:
http://upload.xandrios.net/148622395...2017.03.32.png

To be clear, such extension that reads all data sent from/to websites has one single purpose: Steal user login credentials. From hacked Facebook accounts, to Paypal, to online banking.

I own a few websites myself and fully understand and support the usage of ads. But please do make sure to deal with honest and proper brokers - as this is going much, much too far!

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 4, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Why am I constantly getting redirects from my iPhone to the AppStore whenever I visit this site?

I don't need to post screenshots, anyone who accesses the forum from an iOS device will know what happens.

It's awful!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:48 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Clicking on a thread from the forums main page resulted in a full-screen page, with a repeating Yes/No popup and an attempt to steal browser data - see the extension that it tries to install in the background!

This is seriously nasty stuff, and I have to say that FT is having more and more of these 'issues'. Especially on mobile this is a problem, but sometimes - like this time - even on a full desktop version.

Browser: Chrome latest version

Screenshot:

Had to kill chrome to prevent it from installing the plugin. Looking at the plugin description it seems that over 30K people have already fallen victim of this BS app:
http://upload.xandrios.net/148622395...2017.03.32.png

To be clear, such extension that reads all data sent from/to websites has one single purpose: Steal user login credentials. From hacked Facebook accounts, to Paypal, to online banking.

I own a few websites myself and fully understand and support the usage of ads. But please do make sure to deal with honest and proper brokers - as this is going much, much too far!
Agreed. But then IB shows no sign to even think about discussing to switch to honest ads providers. And then put a pop up asking to whitelist the forum on ad blocking services and censor discussion about them.
IB those sorts of ads are close to being illlegal, this is data theft for the purpose of criminal activities. Please confirm you do not condone such activities and you are going to ensure this will not happen again ever.

Last edited by fransknorge; Feb 6, 2017 at 1:10 am Reason: Some grammar corrections
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Back in Switzerland and it starts again (iPhone 6S, Safari)

free image hosting

screen grab
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Same here - Nexus 6P, Android 7.1.1, latest version of Chrome:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3g...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3g...w?usp=drivesdk

This has been happening a lot more often lately, and it disables the back button so I have to force out of Chrome and reload everything. I whitelisted Flyertalk on my ad blocker because I thought this sort of thing wouldn't happen here...

Last edited by strickerj; Feb 6, 2017 at 5:18 am Reason: Fix links
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Getting these in droves the past 24 hours including three just trying to post this.

Variety of different URLs. Samsung S7 Edge on Chrome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.