Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Flyertalk Broken on Iphone 6

Three different problems with reading FT on an iPhone 6 using Safari. Every one is caused by ads.

1. Ads make unwanted attempts to install software via Apple App store. Today, the home page of FlyerTalk repeatedly displays a banner message, "Open in App Store?" Yes No (or something like that.) Hitting "no"; and then any attempt to navigate somewhere else on FT, just re-displays the same banner message.
This one is new and effectively locks Iphone users out of FT.

2. Ads hijack and navigate away from FT without me touching any visible part of the ad. Seems to be some kind of invisible or full-display ad overlay. It became a random and more frequently occurring problem this month.

3. Right Sidebar ads squeeze FT content off the screen so that it's unreadable. This is a long-standing issue, and I'm fed up with it.

No other website on Safari on my iPhone behaves like this.
By the way, FT on Firefox on a PC and FT on Google Chrome on a Chromebook is a joy to use. No ads at all.
Well, there is that begging on the right sidebar to "Please disable my adblocker."

Sorry FT, not a chance!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by nerd
Audio ads all over the place today.

Plays for like 5-6 seconds and then stops.
Same here. I was just going to post about it. It seems like a new video ad loads, then plays with audio on for a second or two before it auto-mutes. I now hit my computer's mute before opening any page at FT. Sad commentary.

To paraphrase the old saying, FT members are no longer the customers here. We're the product. The ad services are the customers. They are the one's that driving the changes. We're just along for the ride whether we like it or not.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:49 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hey guys, obviously audio/video ads are super annoying, but like all ads we look at, we still need screenshots, if at all possible.

For the other ads posted this week, I have reported them to tech.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
We are now at 750 posts in this thread with only vague promises of improvement. This used to be a great board, but is becoming a spammy site instead. As an update, the homepage no longer tries to hijack my Twitter, but still wants me to download software.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
IPhone Experience better this weekend

For the moment, this weekend, the ads autoloading apps and/or hyjacking away from FT to shady websites seemed to have stopped.

Web surfers don't tolerate:

1. Software autoinstalls
2. Auto navigating to unrequested web sites
3. Auto running audio or video
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:59 am

Getting Amazon pop up and gift card one as shown in posts above.
as others have posted FT is by far the worst site for this and it has been going on for some time. (Years)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html gave this crap today. Cmon guys - disable ads or fix this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:31 pm

Opening coupon connection redirected to Congratulations!

then trying to post here have the same redirect.

Fix your site.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
iOS pop up spam

I’ve recently been getting frequent pop up spam when I am on FlyerTalk forums on my iPhone or iPad. Things like “you’ve won a $1000 Amazon gift card.” It’s pretty much each time I open a thread. FlyerTalk is pretty much unusable on my devices as a result. It helps if I turn off cookies, but then can’t use certain other websites (like twitter). Any advice?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ation-etc.html gave this crap today. Cmon guys - disable ads or fix this.
Yes! FlyerTalk is pretty much unusable on my devices because of this crap!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Same thing here.
i don’t mind this once a day, but it’s relentless today.

Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:52 pm

Now this. I give up. If I can not browse your site, why bother to even try? Congratulations! is the redirect from a thread.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Site basically unusable for 2 days now. Should be funny but just annoying, got this pop up / lock out when first trying to report it here. I assume it's not being fixed since everyone in charge is off for the holidays?
Attached Images    
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Serendib Flight from Hell.

This page brought me to this one:

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:27 pm

Disruptive unwanted pop ups are now so disruptive that site is unusable on Iphone and IPad. Even posting this response took multiple attempts due to Dear Amazon User pop ups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.