Can't click "like" on some threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond

There are several threads I follow that I want to click "like" on some of the posts. Can't seem to make it stick when I click it. Nothing happens. I believe there are other threads that it still seems to work, but not 100%. Also I did a search on this forum for "click like", zero results. Then my next search of the forum gets and error result. "TypeError: sizeof(): Argument #1 ($value) must be of type Countable|array, null given in ..../sphinx.php on line 49",
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:53 pm

I have this issue too. Some posts I can like, but others, when clicked, appear to do nothing. It may be related to threads that are subscribed to -- I find these ones are less likely to allow me to like posts in them.

This has been happening for at least 3 months.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's a quirk that I find very odd. If there is a review in the thread, you cannot click "like". Why? I have no idea. Internet Brand knows about the issue. Hopefully some day their tech team will figure out how to correct it.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I can‘t like other’s posts in threads I started. The like option is shown, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I can‘t like other’s posts in threads I started. The like option is shown, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Interesting. That's a new one to me.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Our of interest SanDiego1K Joel from IB often points out that the Likes system on FT is custom/unique and hence it's hard to persuade the techs to do anything significant to change/update/fix it. He also says that FT has a custom Likes system because the community didn't like the forum standard offering. But do you recall what the issues were with the standard offering that caused a custom solution to be developed?

There's obviously some technical debt already ingrained in the custom code for Likes, and it's only likely to get worse. Is it worth reviewing if there's s chance to escape back to forum standard Likes?
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:12 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by plunet
Our of interest SanDiego1K Joel from IB often points out that the Likes system on FT is custom/unique and hence it's hard to persuade the techs to do anything significant to change/update/fix it. He also says that FT has a custom Likes system because the community didn't like the forum standard offering. But do you recall what the issues were with the standard offering that caused a custom solution to be developed?

There's obviously some technical debt already ingrained in the custom code for Likes, and it's only likely to get worse. Is it worth reviewing if there's s chance to escape back to forum standard Likes?
It was regrettably the opposite. We developed a Likes system for FlyerTalk, then the main VB team dveloped their own "PostThanks" independently, which became standard. The biggest issues for that here were that it keeps tracks of likes you've given and received across the site, but the biggest one was that when a post is liked, it creates a mini sub-post that takes up much more screen real estate. So it was an interface/UX issue. I personally think people overreacted a bit, but definitely understood why it was frustrating, especially coming from a system that doesn't do that.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by IBJoel
It was regrettably the opposite. We developed a Likes system for FlyerTalk, then the main VB team dveloped their own "PostThanks" independently, which became standard. The biggest issues for that here were that it keeps tracks of likes you've given and received across the site, but the biggest one was that when a post is liked, it creates a mini sub-post that takes up much more screen real estate. So it was an interface/UX issue. I personally think people overreacted a bit, but definitely understood why it was frustrating, especially coming from a system that doesn't do that.
This often happens when I try to click "like"

It's been like this for years.

Anyone else is having the same issue?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
This often happens when I try to click "like"

It's been like this for years.

Anyone else is having the same issue?
This thread probably han't been off the first page for the past two years.

The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:29 pm
Suspended

I am not sure but I might be having the same issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.