Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tanglin
I was. I disconnected it for some other reason but didn't retry FT. I'll do so on Thursday after my current trip - thanks for this tip.
For whatever reason, and for a travel themed IBB, they do not allow you to access the website via VPN. There's a thread about it somewhere. PIA is certainly not going to work, if that's what you use.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by WIRunner
For whatever reason, and for a travel themed IBB, they do not allow you to access the website via VPN. There's a thread about it somewhere. PIA is certainly not going to work, if that's what you use.
<we've merged into that thread >

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2017 at 9:26 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Thanks for the help guys! I'm back at home now and indeed it's working with the VPN off.

(And yes, it's PIA).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanglin
Thanks for the help guys! I'm back at home now and indeed it's working with the VPN off.

(And yes, it's PIA).
Unless IB unblocks PIA's IP range, it won't load. PIA customer service said that they're unable to do anything beyond us asking nicely to have their services work. I haven't tried a different VPN. But the thread listed above has a lot more information.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:32 am

Question Flyertalk blocking work IP

Hi

I can't access Flyertalk at work. I've checked with IT and they say its being blocked at the Flyertalk end and not by work.

They say they use a cloud based proxy which may cause Flyertalk to block the IP address (I think all our traffic is routed via Singapore).

How can I go about getting our work IP being blocked by Flyertalk?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:51 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Proxy IPs are routinely blocked due to their use by spammers. We suggest that you find a regular IP address to use instead.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
Proxy IPs are routinely blocked due to their use by spammers. We suggest that you find a regular IP address to use instead.
Seems to be working now all of a sudden.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:40 pm

hate to resurrect a 2 yr old thread, but it said it's the consolidated VPN blocking thread from a search
I just installed ExpressVPN, a VPN for privacy as recommended by several tech advisor sites.
Suddenly FT is blocked. If I turn off the VPN, then it loads fine. There are threads on FT about recommendations to use a VPN when travelling, and yet FT blocks VPNs from accessing FT?
Puzzled. Any help someone can offer? I'll get the tech info for any mod who can help diagnose/fix, I just don't know what you need

PS my VPN is a personal account on a personal computer from my home, nothing corporate about it.

thx
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:16 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
hate to resurrect a 2 yr old thread, but it said it's the consolidated VPN blocking thread from a search
I just installed ExpressVPN, a VPN for privacy as recommended by several tech advisor sites.
Suddenly FT is blocked. If I turn off the VPN, then it loads fine. There are threads on FT about recommendations to use a VPN when travelling, and yet FT blocks VPNs from accessing FT?
Puzzled. Any help someone can offer? I'll get the tech info for any mod who can help diagnose/fix, I just don't know what you need

PS my VPN is a personal account on a personal computer from my home, nothing corporate about it.

thx
While individuals on FT may recommend a VPN to circumvent certain countries' restrictions on access to sites or information, we do not allow access to FlyerTalk through a VPN for security reasons. Our VPN detector does not distinguish between corporate, personal, benign, or malevolent usage.
IBobi likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBJoel
While individuals on FT may recommend a VPN to circumvent certain countries' restrictions on access to sites or information, we do not allow access to FlyerTalk through a VPN for security reasons. Our VPN detector does not distinguish between corporate, personal, benign, or malevolent usage.
Which as mentioned before, is ridiculous for a travel forum to prevent access via a VPN when many of us use the site while at an airport and on a VPN.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:36 pm

can you elaborate on the "security reasons" that exist for the website that causes this rule?
As others have said, it's kind of ironic that using a VPN is recommended by posters on this site for protecting the posters, but that the web site that specializes in helping travelers bans their use.
Really have no idea what kind of problems could be created for this site by someone posting a message, vs our own devices being compromised. I've experienced buggy behavior of infected pages on this site with sudden redirects to "you won an amazon gift card!", although not lately, but seems like the site's users face more risk than the site operators.
What am I missing? Can this be revisited?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:24 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Which as mentioned before, is ridiculous for a travel forum to prevent access via a VPN when many of us use the site while at an airport and on a VPN.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
can you elaborate on the "security reasons" that exist for the website that causes this rule?
As others have said, it's kind of ironic that using a VPN is recommended by posters on this site for protecting the posters, but that the web site that specializes in helping travelers bans their use.
Really have no idea what kind of problems could be created for this site by someone posting a message, vs our own devices being compromised. I've experienced buggy behavior of infected pages on this site with sudden redirects to "you won an amazon gift card!", although not lately, but seems like the site's users face more risk than the site operators.
What am I missing? Can this be revisited?
So I've gotten some new information from tech (received when I asked about security for LovePrunes). WE are not actively blocking any VPNs, but some VPNs are blocked globally through our security system (Cloudflare, a third party). So the VPN has to take this up with Cloudflare. However, we may be able to provide assistance. If you're having trouble with a VPN, please PM me the IP that VPN is attempting to use. We may have blocked that IP range locally for spamming, and I may be able to grant you access.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by IBJoel; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:22 am

So I've gotten some new information from tech (received when I asked about security for LovePrunes). WE are not actively blocking any VPNs, but some VPNs are blocked globally through our security system (Cloudflare, a third party). So the VPN has to take this up with Cloudflare. However, we may be able to provide assistance. If you're having trouble with a VPN, please PM me the IP that VPN is attempting to use. We may have blocked that IP range locally for spamming, and I may be able to grant you access.
Thanks, IBJoel
For whatever reason it is now letting me access FT when using my VPN. I didn't do anything on my end, but hopefully it'll continue working.
I appreciate the follow up you did, thanks!
JDiver and IBJoel like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
IB Address banned?

Hi, I just tried to access Flyertalk from my iPhone and received a message that reads:
​​​​​​———-
Error 1007
Ray ID: 4faeb0f67acb6cc8 - 2019-07-23 15:29
ACCESS DENIED

What happened?
The owner of this website (FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community - FlyerTalk is a living, growing community where frequent travelers around the world come to exchange knowledge and experiences about everything miles and points related.) has banned your IP address (xxx.xxx.xx.xxx). (The actual numbers are in the message)
———
Is this legit, and why did it happen? I can access from other places, like my laptop and tablets, so it’s not an account issue. Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by zpaul; Aug 5, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:46 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by zpaul
Hi, I just tried to access Flyertalk from my iPhone and received a message that reads:
​​​​​​———-
Error 1007
Ray ID: 4faeb0f67acb6cc8 - 2019-07-23 15:29
ACCESS DENIED

What happened?
The owner of this website (FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community - FlyerTalk is a living, growing community where frequent travelers around the world come to exchange knowledge and experiences about everything miles and points related.) has banned your IP address (xxx.xxx.xx.xxx). (The actual numbers are in the message)
———
Is this legit, and why did it happen? I can access from other places, like my laptop and tables, so it’s not an account issue. Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.
Were you on a public WiFi connection when you got this message?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.