Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

IP Blocking and VPN Access to FT Blocked Issues (consolidated)

IP Blocking and VPN Access to FT Blocked Issues (consolidated)

Old Jul 18, 17, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post
I was. I disconnected it for some other reason but didn't retry FT. I'll do so on Thursday after my current trip - thanks for this tip.
For whatever reason, and for a travel themed IBB, they do not allow you to access the website via VPN. There's a thread about it somewhere. PIA is certainly not going to work, if that's what you use.
Old Jul 19, 17, 11:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
For whatever reason, and for a travel themed IBB, they do not allow you to access the website via VPN. There's a thread about it somewhere. PIA is certainly not going to work, if that's what you use.
<we've merged into that thread >

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 17 at 9:26 pm
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
Thanks for the help guys! I'm back at home now and indeed it's working with the VPN off.

(And yes, it's PIA).
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanglin View Post
Thanks for the help guys! I'm back at home now and indeed it's working with the VPN off.

(And yes, it's PIA).
Unless IB unblocks PIA's IP range, it won't load. PIA customer service said that they're unable to do anything beyond us asking nicely to have their services work. I haven't tried a different VPN. But the thread listed above has a lot more information.
Old Aug 1, 17, 5:32 am

Question Flyertalk blocking work IP

Hi

I can't access Flyertalk at work. I've checked with IT and they say its being blocked at the Flyertalk end and not by work.

They say they use a cloud based proxy which may cause Flyertalk to block the IP address (I think all our traffic is routed via Singapore).

How can I go about getting our work IP being blocked by Flyertalk?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 17, 5:51 pm
Administrator

Proxy IPs are routinely blocked due to their use by spammers. We suggest that you find a regular IP address to use instead.
Old Aug 1, 17, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Proxy IPs are routinely blocked due to their use by spammers. We suggest that you find a regular IP address to use instead.
Seems to be working now all of a sudden.
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
hate to resurrect a 2 yr old thread, but it said it's the consolidated VPN blocking thread from a search
I just installed ExpressVPN, a VPN for privacy as recommended by several tech advisor sites.
Suddenly FT is blocked. If I turn off the VPN, then it loads fine. There are threads on FT about recommendations to use a VPN when travelling, and yet FT blocks VPNs from accessing FT?
Puzzled. Any help someone can offer? I'll get the tech info for any mod who can help diagnose/fix, I just don't know what you need

PS my VPN is a personal account on a personal computer from my home, nothing corporate about it.

thx
Old Jun 27, 19, 8:16 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
hate to resurrect a 2 yr old thread, but it said it's the consolidated VPN blocking thread from a search
I just installed ExpressVPN, a VPN for privacy as recommended by several tech advisor sites.
Suddenly FT is blocked. If I turn off the VPN, then it loads fine. There are threads on FT about recommendations to use a VPN when travelling, and yet FT blocks VPNs from accessing FT?
Puzzled. Any help someone can offer? I'll get the tech info for any mod who can help diagnose/fix, I just don't know what you need

PS my VPN is a personal account on a personal computer from my home, nothing corporate about it.

thx
While individuals on FT may recommend a VPN to circumvent certain countries' restrictions on access to sites or information, we do not allow access to FlyerTalk through a VPN for security reasons. Our VPN detector does not distinguish between corporate, personal, benign, or malevolent usage.
IBobi likes this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
While individuals on FT may recommend a VPN to circumvent certain countries' restrictions on access to sites or information, we do not allow access to FlyerTalk through a VPN for security reasons. Our VPN detector does not distinguish between corporate, personal, benign, or malevolent usage.
Which as mentioned before, is ridiculous for a travel forum to prevent access via a VPN when many of us use the site while at an airport and on a VPN.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 1:36 pm

can you elaborate on the "security reasons" that exist for the website that causes this rule?
As others have said, it's kind of ironic that using a VPN is recommended by posters on this site for protecting the posters, but that the web site that specializes in helping travelers bans their use.
Really have no idea what kind of problems could be created for this site by someone posting a message, vs our own devices being compromised. I've experienced buggy behavior of infected pages on this site with sudden redirects to "you won an amazon gift card!", although not lately, but seems like the site's users face more risk than the site operators.
What am I missing? Can this be revisited?
Old Jun 28, 19, 3:24 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
Which as mentioned before, is ridiculous for a travel forum to prevent access via a VPN when many of us use the site while at an airport and on a VPN.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
can you elaborate on the "security reasons" that exist for the website that causes this rule?
As others have said, it's kind of ironic that using a VPN is recommended by posters on this site for protecting the posters, but that the web site that specializes in helping travelers bans their use.
Really have no idea what kind of problems could be created for this site by someone posting a message, vs our own devices being compromised. I've experienced buggy behavior of infected pages on this site with sudden redirects to "you won an amazon gift card!", although not lately, but seems like the site's users face more risk than the site operators.
What am I missing? Can this be revisited?
So I've gotten some new information from tech (received when I asked about security for LovePrunes). WE are not actively blocking any VPNs, but some VPNs are blocked globally through our security system (Cloudflare, a third party). So the VPN has to take this up with Cloudflare. However, we may be able to provide assistance. If you're having trouble with a VPN, please PM me the IP that VPN is attempting to use. We may have blocked that IP range locally for spamming, and I may be able to grant you access.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by IBJoel; Jul 1, 19 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:22 am

So I've gotten some new information from tech (received when I asked about security for LovePrunes). WE are not actively blocking any VPNs, but some VPNs are blocked globally through our security system (Cloudflare, a third party). So the VPN has to take this up with Cloudflare. However, we may be able to provide assistance. If you're having trouble with a VPN, please PM me the IP that VPN is attempting to use. We may have blocked that IP range locally for spamming, and I may be able to grant you access.
Thanks, IBJoel
For whatever reason it is now letting me access FT when using my VPN. I didn't do anything on my end, but hopefully it'll continue working.
I appreciate the follow up you did, thanks!
JDiver and IBJoel like this.