FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Report spam / spammer post issues here (PLEASE read wikipost) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1590364-report-spam-spammer-post-issues-here-please-read-wikipost.html)

Canarsie Mar 12, 2018 12:09 pm

All have had their FlyerTalk posting privileges suspended permanently — and I am expecting more to come...

lin821 Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie (Post 29515591)
All have had their FlyerTalk posting privileges suspended permanently — and I am expecting more to come...

We are correct. Here's the 4th (and still counting):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...charni556.html

It's going to be a long day/night. Sigh!

Canarsie Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lin821 (Post 29515618)
We are correct. Here's the 4th (and still counting):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...charni556.html

It's going to be long day/night. Sigh!

Several moderators are currently on the case, lin821.

Thank you.

lin821 Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Here's a new one, currently polluting SPAM Forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...-castilla.html

Thanks!

ETA:

Thank you Spiff for shutting him down so quickly!

cblaisd Mar 14, 2018 2:27 pm

When you see such spammers, please use the "Alert a Moderator" function on the post.

This will generally get much quicker action.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator
Technical Support forum

lin821 Mar 15, 2018 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 29525268)
When you see such spammers, please use the "Alert a Moderator" function on the post.

I did and I always do. I don't post every spammer I spot in this forum unless I suspect a potential site/system-wide "attack."

lo2e Apr 20, 2018 11:59 am

Spam attack happening right now by user TeraBaap - so far posts in CommunityBuzz and the Suggestion Box, I'm about to modalert all of them.

Edit to add: All current posts reported.

lo2e Apr 25, 2018 3:51 am

User hrag has posted several spam posts in the Suggestion Box this morning. Will start modalerting each of them now.

Edit: Modalerts done.

Mwenenzi Apr 25, 2018 5:18 am

Originally Posted by lo2e (Post 29681287)
User hrag has posted several spam posts in the Suggestion Box this morning. Will start modalerting each of them now.

That was the 3rd phone number spammer I have notice in the last 12 hrs. Several more in the last few days. Guess they are premium phone numbers that you pay $$ to phone.

My understanding is we only need to report 1 post. Moderators will pick up the other 4.

JDiver Apr 25, 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 29681434)
That was the 3rd phone number spammer I have notice in the last 12 hrs. Several more in the last few days. Guess they are premium phone numbers that you pay $$ to phone.

My understanding is we only need to report 1 post. Moderators will pick up the other 4.

When spam is by the same actor / handle, one alert will get us aware and we have tools available to mass delete and suspend accounts in the same operation.

There indeed has been a spam storm, appearing to be from the same India source. They’re persistent and spoof many IP addresses to prevent us blocking the actual source, and we’ve noticed they’re bombing a number of sites.

Thank you for notifying us of spam when you see it. (Note: in fora without appointed Moderators, the reports go to the Senior Moderator Team.)

JDiver, Co-Moderator, Tech. Support & Feedback and The Suggestion Box fora

lo2e Apr 25, 2018 9:47 am

Ok, so just so I'm clear (and maybe this needs to go in the Wiki so that everyone is clear):

If it's multiple posts by the same person in the same forum, only one alert is needed.

If it's multiple posts by the same person in different fora, one alert per forum is needed.

If it's multiple users (same forum or not), alert all of them.

Please let me know if I've crossed my wires on this... thanks!

IBJoel Apr 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e (Post 29682326)
Ok, so just so I'm clear (and maybe this needs to go in the Wiki so that everyone is clear):

If it's multiple posts by the same person in the same forum, only one alert is needed.

If it's multiple posts by the same person in different fora, one alert per forum is needed.

Yes, that sounds right.

JDiver Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Yes.

Yes. But. The longer version: Not really, but it really helps, because the earlier a Moderator becomes aware the sooner we can ban and each forum’s Moderators can clean up the spam. Otherwise, we will normally clean up our forum / fora, and ask the Senior Moderator Team to clean across multiple fora. So the multiple notifications are apt to result in faster action (as we Mods are volunteers, spread out globally and work, travel, etc.)

Yes. The alerts come over the transom (well, email) about specific posts. Often we will check our fora for other spam, but if we’re busy with other things it’s easier for us to know about multiple spammers with multiple notices..

I’ve added your list to the Wikipost. Thank you for asking and helping keep FT as spam-Free as we can. (And mind you, these are the crumbs that get by the traps and blocks we’ve set up to stop or slow these people down.)

JDiver, Co-Moderator

jackal Apr 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Just be sure to make a note in the report you send that there are other posts by the same user in the same forum that also need to be deleted so the moderator knows to handle them as well.

lin821 Jul 2, 2018 9:26 am

ID Forum under attack...

Starting about an hour ago, ID Forum has been targeted by the same group of spammers. I've spotted and reported 4, assuming all 4 from the same (Indian) source. Only one is suspended. I suspected more will pop up in the coming hours, if not minutes.

Thanks for taking care of them promptly.