Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Coupon Connection related issues (prior to 15 Apr 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (moderators can edit this wikipost):

The Coupon Connection forum has gone offline due to issues with American Airlines closing accounts based on certain transactions. It is expected to reopen soon, with new Rules.

The announcement about the closure:

Coupon Connection will be going offline

After serious discussions between the Coupon Connection moderators and me about the issues that have come to the forefront in the past 24 hours, the decision has been taken to take the Coupon Connection Forum offline for the time being. I anticipate that this will happen yet today.

The moderators will be doing some forum cleanup and developing new guidelines before we re-open the forum.

At this time, we cannot predict when the forum will be reopened.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...fline-657.html

The Coupon Connection is expected to open soon, as the Forum Moderators, Admin and the Community Director have this issue under advisement and will soon notify the community of any major changes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

As there will be new guidelines and conditions when it is reopened, posts prior to the date of closure, 15 April 2014, have been archived to this thread.

The current, active thread can be found here: The Coupon Connection and related issues

Meantime, following are the guidelines and information pertinent prior to the time of closure.

Q. What is The Coupon Connection?

A. The Coupon Connection
The exchange forum for legally transferable coupons issued by various frequent traveler programs. This is N-O-T a forum for anything related to the buying, selling or barter of awards.

Q. What are the requirements for admittance?

A. The current requirements for admission privileges to The Coupon Connection Forum are: a member must have 180 days of tenure on FlyerTalk and 180 (constructive) posts on FlyerTalk.

The Coupon Connection is intended for active participants and contributors to the airline/hotel/miles/points boards, granted as a privilege and for personal use - it is not an automatic right or perquisite of membership.

Q. How can I find The Coupon Connection?

A. If you qualify for admission, when you are signed in and look at the FlyerTalk Forums listing, toward the end of the listings you will find the Community group of fora listed, including CommunityBuzz! FlyerTalk Cares! and second from the end in this section, The Coupon Connection. (Or see the link above.)

Q. I do not / no longer see The Coupon Connection on my Forum listing!

A. If you do not see The Coupon Connection as a Forum display in your lists, you have not been granted admission, or admission may have been withdrawn (the most common reasons might include post padding - rapid or contentless posting - spending much of your time / posting in Coupon Connection attempting to trade, offering to sell or buy, etc.

Q. How can I learn more about The Coupon Connection?

A. When you are granted access, familiarize yourself with The Coupon Connection TOS in the "Welcome" message and in the stickies. Until then, enjoy and benefit from the amazing knowledge of FlyerTalk members.

The following is a note updated in March, 2005 by Randy Petersen regarding access to the forum:

"What we value most on FlyerTalk is dialog about the topic of miles and points. It's in our history and in our souls. The Coupon Connection grows out of the familiarity of Community, which is actually a good thing. However lately we've found that new members have become members of FlyerTalk to take advantage of the generosity of The Coupon Connection. I have strong feelings that this is not the best direction for FlyerTalk. As a result, we've instituted a feature of FlyerTalk that will limit access to The Coupon Connection to those members we feel have contributed enough to FlyerTalk to enjoy the benefits of posting on this forum. The idea that by posting in the miles, points and travel forums, members will better familiarize themselves with the other members they may exchange with later and have developed a sense of respect for the Community we call FlyerTalk. We feel that it's better to give first into the Community of FlyerTalk by way of content, advice and information than it is to be lined up at the goodie wagon. I feel that becoming part of the Community of FlyerTalk will go a long way toward enjoying the other benefits of this wonderful group of people. "

Cheers,
Randy.

The Coupon Connection should be viewed as a 'small secret’ for those who have contributed over time to the content that helps our many members. Coupon Connection access requires 180 days of FlyerTalk membership and 180 posts. Attempting to obtain access through post-padding or rapid-posting will result in the loss of Coupon Connection privileges, regardless of the content of such posts.
When The Coupon Connection is reopened and you have access, this link will take you there; if you do not, it will not work and you will get the following message: (it will not work during the closure.)

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  • Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • This forum may require additional account pre-requisites that you don't current have. Check the Announcements for this forum to see if you're required to have a minimum number of posts already, etc.
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Coupon Connection related issues (prior to 15 Apr 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Gold HH, JAL, LAN
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes, Randy instituted a change so that 90 days membership on FlyerTalk is required, along with 90 posts.
Considering the life of the board and the search (when it works) is a 90 post reasonable?

Is there anyway to skip the 90 post limit, say if you have subscribed to KVS Plat, and exceed the 90/150+ day membership?

Yes sure, I can post useless messages, but I would rather not.

I use the search and Google limited to this site often to find the answers, so I do not waste the time of the members, and to not look like an idiot giving advice to others, when there are clearly more experienced people who can answer a posting.

Not everyone is in the travel business, and given what you can find in the search option (very much credit to the site and days spent reading) I doubt there is a reason to post apart for current undocumented issues.

I guess it comes back to what level of status you would like, but there should be a place for lurkers, who respect that other posters know more and would give better response than to reply themselves.

PM me if there is a way to gain access.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:29 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Why would KVS Plat membership have anything to do with access to Coupon Connection?

Randy has made it clear that Coupon Connection is a "benefit" of membership and participation.

It should not be too difficult to find ways to add value to threads across Flyertalk.

Please note; however, that it is frowned up to just post to "pad" to gain entry to Coupon Connection. The moderators have been known to decredit post counts or restrict entry to CC for those who circumvent the rules.

William
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Nexus888
and to not look like an idiot giving advice to others, when there are clearly more experienced people who can answer a posting.
Everyone can contribute on FT, including you. If you know the answer to a question, just jump right in and answer it. There's no need to wait for someone with more posts to provide an answer. We all started with zero posts and worked our way up. You'll be at 90 before you know it.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:49 pm

Coupon Exchange

What is this and how do you get into this?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:07 pm

The Coupon Connection is a forum on FlyerTalk that is invisible to new members. After you've been around for a while and contributed a bit (I forget the exact criteria), it'll show up under "Community."

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:28 am

Thanks

Thanks for the info. And the welcome!!!!

Originally Posted by themicah
The Coupon Connection is a forum on FlyerTalk that is invisible to new members. After you've been around for a while and contributed a bit (I forget the exact criteria), it'll show up under "Community."

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:30 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah

Welcome to Flyertalk.
90 Posts + 90 Days
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
90 Posts + 90 Days

After one meets the criteria, will the Coupon Connectuion automatically show up, or does one have to request access?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2 mill miler;UA Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
90 Posts + 90 Days

After one meets the criteria, will the Coupon Connection automatically show up, or does one have to request access?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zenexplorer
After one meets the criteria, will the Coupon Connection automatically show up, or does one have to request access?
It will show up under 'community'
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by tom911
We all started with zero posts and worked our way up. You'll be at 90 before you know it.
Yes and how long ago was your 90 to 11K?

Hmmmm,

Yes, in the early days of FT it was easy to do the 90, but there must be easy route via money (if required) for the lurkers who do the miles, but not posts, with coupons to waste.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
Why would KVS Plat membership have anything to do with access to Coupon Connection?
Coupon Connection requirements

Why would people sign up for Plat access on KVS if they were not serious about flying?

If they are signing up for Platium they would be flying many seats and hence use the tool for that purpose.

There is a difference between people who fly for miles for the hell of it, and the business people on this forum who fares are paid by their companies.

Last edited by Nexus888; Oct 26, 2006 at 5:41 am
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:00 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Around the same time you get access to Omni too
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, UA, BD

Why would people sign up for Plat access on KVS if they were not serious about flying?

If they are signing up for Platium they would be flying many seats and hence use the tool for that purpose.

There is a difference between people who fly for miles for the hell of it, and the business people on this forum who fares are paid by their companies.
What?????

What does that have to do with the CC requirements? I think you are mistaking the Mileage Run forum for Coupon Connection.... you don't go to CC because you fly a lot of miles or are interested in filling revenue seats.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion

The question was asked because KVS is not provided by InsideFlyer or FT. The only connection is that the individual who wrote it and the people who use it are members here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.