Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE 2004-2018 FlyerTalk currently very slow

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Unhappy

I agree. I'd much rather have an offline-but-being-fixed board, than an online-but-dysfunctional board. This is actually my first post on the board. Been trying to get onto it since last night....

I logged on at 6.27am BST today, via 512kbps ADSL, single user. Slow.....
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:37 am

Programs: BA
Well despite what I said about waiting a few days before retrying, I have just done so and find a great improvement overnight (UK time). So John at Webflyer, Dan, and the others, well done. Bet it was just one configuration item that did it ! But do keep going.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:39 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Speed is much improved in the last 60 minutes. It may have been something as simple as optimizing some database access to be more efficient in the lookups.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:50 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Smile

Wow..what happened? Two hours ago, FT was so slow, I was almost late for work! Now I'm at work, it's much, much quicker. Whoever fixed FT, at least for now - well done!
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:05 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by StSebastian
Speed is much improved in the last 60 minutes. It may have been something as simple as optimizing some database access to be more efficient in the lookups.
While I can finally access FT, which is a big improvement over yesterday, it is still very, very slow for me. I'm connected via a very fast connection on a corporate LAN, and don't have connectivity/response time issues with other websites.

I'll give it a few days, but I hope that the team at FT don't consider the issue 'fully resolved' quite yet -- because, at least from where I sit, there are still performance issues that bear investigating.

BTW, before it seems like I'm complaining TOO much, I just wanted to stay thanks to the team at FT -- I'm sure it's been very hard work to transition everything over, and (performance issues aside) the launch has been a great success.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:21 am
21A

Thumbs up Seems a lot faster for me now.

Originally Posted by tekelberry
a) Turn off the whole "What's Going On?" panel at the bottom. It's unncessary database queries.

b) Remove the (x Viewing) text next to a forum's name. This also results in unnecessary database queries.
I'm no expert in this, but it seems to me each of those would be relatively few queries. It's hardly a major thing, but I find these demographic statistics sort of interesting, so if there's a way to keep them without hitting the database too hard, so much the better. Maybe I'm just weird, though.

By the way, thumbs up on the upgrade. I'm glad everyone was patient while the first-day optimizations got worked out (it seems to be common with big site launches and the like), and the new features and just generally better behavior/user-friendliness are well worth it.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably faster right now because it's 1:30am here in the U.S. (West Coast) and most members are off earning frequent snoring points. I would be the load on the servers is pretty low right now.

Last edited by PremEx; Apr 2, 2004 at 2:53 am
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PremEx
It's probably faster right now because it's 1:30am here in the U.S. and most members are off earning frequent snoring points.
Good time to be on line now.....just zipping along
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:56 am
21A

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PremEx
It's probably faster right now because it's 1:30am here in the U.S. and most members are off earning frequent snoring points. I would be the load on the servers is pretty low right now.
Looks like you're right. "Currently Active Users: 209 (84 members and 125 guests). Most users ever online was 731, Yesterday at 11:06 am." (my zone is set to PST) Although FT is a pretty global community, midday in the US appears to be the busiest time. (Look, something the stats box is useful for! ) Will be interesting to continue to watch the user loads compared to speed over the next few days.

My fingers are crossed. I'm optimistic that all this new-fangled-technology-stuff can work out.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Indeed, light server mode seems to make the difference as at 6:45am Eastern things seem to be cooking along pretty nicely.

IIRC the tech staff was transitioning servers as well as software, so there may be some server configuration issues still to work out in addition to software tweaks.

Good luck, guys! And thanks for all the hard work! ^
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:33 am

Programs: QF Bronze
Very slooooooowwwwww down under right now!! In fact since FT has been back online I havent been able to access at any decent speed be it on cable from home or whatever way we connect from work. All other sites I try are fine. I love the new look however.

Last edited by 744; Apr 2, 2004 at 6:35 am
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:46 am

Unhappy

Approximately 1045 EST and very slow (connecting through high speed network). In fact, wouldn't even allow me to connect the first 2 times.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Very slow both yesterday afternoon and this morning. This is only website I've been to that is slow, so I don't think it's a problem on my end. About half the time, I am unable to open a thread or to reply. I get a "Failed to Connect" message.

I am sure these are just teething problems and that things will settle down in a few days. From what I've been able to see, the new site looks great!
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Unhappy

Since the new board has come up it's been very very very slow here as well. I have faith it'll allll be corrected but YIKES... the slowness is keeping me off FT for now and I've got 4.5Mbps available here with everything else running quite well. It's not a net congestion issue since I've got 55ms latency to The House of Miles... sadly methinks the servers just need more beating on.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Talking

MASSIVE speed increase... needs a bit of help but it's livable now!!! Not sure if it's due to load (100 users lighter than my post above) but it's MUCH MUCH better, thanks!!!! ^ ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.