Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE 2004-2018 FlyerTalk currently very slow

ARCHIVE 2004-2018 FlyerTalk currently very slow

Old Mar 22, 04, 4:44 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Indeed. Thanks
Old Mar 23, 04, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's doing this again this morning.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
Getting into any forums on FT Miles is VERY, VERY slow right now. Once inside a forum seems to be fairly normal speed.</font>
Old Mar 23, 04, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ocn Vw 1K:

Moderator functions are also very slow. </font>

ROTFLMAO.
Old Mar 24, 04, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Starting to slowly slow this morning again; any corrupted threads maybe?
Old Apr 1, 04, 1:32 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Post not only that

Right now (as of the turnup of the VBB board), it's slower for me than it ever has been. Dunno if that's a function of everyone and their brother getting the word of the return at once, or not....
Old Apr 1, 04, 3:21 pm

It's ridiculous -- this better not last

It's really intolerably slow right now. Ten minutes to load a single page -- if it loads at all. If this continues I won't have the patience to read this message board any more.

Ed
Old Apr 1, 04, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA
Well lets allow the technical tuning to take place first. But it is so slow as to be unusable, so I'll give it a few days before checking again. Has taken me 20 minutes to get this far.

A shame. PPRuNe (which many on here also read) recently upgraded their system and it now runs like a flash. Believe they use the same bulletin board software as the new FT.

Amused I have been able to type this whole post in long before this reply page even finished loading !
Old Apr 1, 04, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Ouch!

The overall design looks promising... but I cannot believe that a message board system that uses PHP was selected. PHP does not scale! I suppose mySQL or some other equally unscalable technology is underneath as well.
Old Apr 1, 04, 5:44 pm

Thanks for your patience. We are working with the tech team at vBulletin to tune the board and the underlying tchnologies.

Originally Posted by WHBM
Well lets allow the technical tuning to take place first. But it is so slow as to be unusable, so I'll give it a few days before checking again. Has taken me 20 minutes to get this far.

A shame. PPRuNe (which many on here also read) recently upgraded their system and it now runs like a flash. Believe they use the same bulletin board software as the new FT.

Amused I have been able to type this whole post in long before this reply page even finished loading !
Old Apr 1, 04, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still Painful.

Just to chime in...still painfully slow and unstable. Lots of long waits and lots of "Page Not Found" messages.
Old Apr 1, 04, 8:54 pm

Painfully slow

All day I have checked back to see how FT was working.... each time it has been extremely slow for me.
Old Apr 1, 04, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Slow at 0253 GMT

It is painfully slow at present, on a ADSL line with a single user it is almost un-useable. It's hard as all I can bear to read is the boards which I moderate because of the slowness.
Old Apr 1, 04, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Soooo slow. Also, have a lot of failed connections where I have to click link a second time to get through. Still, considering how massive the task we owe a vote of thanks to those who have worked so hard to get the site back running.

I wonder how much of the problem is related to all of us junkies being on at once. after the absense, we seem to be all catching up at the same time.
Old Apr 1, 04, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
The overall design looks promising... but I cannot believe that a message board system that uses PHP was selected. PHP does not scale! I suppose mySQL or some other equally unscalable technology is underneath as well.
It's not PHP that's the problem. vBulletin (the new forum software) is one of, if not, the best forum software out there once it's working properly. vB does require a few modifications to improve its speed on a board of this magnitude. I visit other forums with vB that are as big as this one, and they are all very fast. However, they do have many modifications to make them as fast as they are.

A couple of things I've seen other forums do to help with speed:

a) Turn off the whole "What's Going On?" panel at the bottom. It's unncessary database queries.

b) Remove the (x Viewing) text next to a forum's name. This also results in unnecessary database queries.

The following might only be available with modifications:

a) Delay updating of thread/post/reply count.

b) Removing some of the information under your user name in each post.

c) Adding a quick reply text box at the bottom of every thread to type your reply in there instead of having to pull up another reply page. The reply link is still available for those who wish to use it.

I'm sure the tech team already knows a lot of this stuff. I'm just offering my advice based on what I've seen other vB boards do.

Last edited by tekelberry; Apr 1, 04 at 10:44 pm
Old Apr 1, 04, 10:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
FT is slow, all forums, esp Air Canada - there, search function freezes

I have just logged on for the first time an hour ago. For each step (new forum, new thread, new posting, reply etc), it literally takes a minute or more (I have concentrated on the Air Canada forum, but have looked at a few other forums, as well). In the Air Canada forum, the search function after a few minutes freezes - I have not had any success yet.

Will these glitches be fixed, soon?

Right now, it is almost worse to have a dysfunctional FT bulletin board, than the off-line FT (for upgrade reasons) for the last 6 days.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: