Wiki Posts
Search

Arrrghh... Can't get FT forums to load via home internet connection

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Question Arrrghh... Can't get FT forums to load via home internet connection

Please excuse my ignorance of things technical, but...

For years I have had no problems accessing FT from my laptop at home. But for a few weeks now I have been unable to get the forums to load (though occasionally one will load in about 10 minutes) when using my laptop via my home ADSL connection. However, when I am logged onto my work VPN using the same connection I have no problems at all! (But I really don't want all my FT activity logged at work.)

Today I tried with 2 other computers from my home and neither worked. One was a laptop that I used while travelling and it got the FT forums with no problems while I was away.

What am I doing wrong??? Help. please!
Old May 5, 2010, 4:43 am

Having the exact same problem here in Cape Town too. Unable to access FT whatsoever from home ADSL line (telkominternet ISP). This started more or less when the Facebook functionality was added to FT.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA BD SA
Thanks, Cage Rattler. I feel a bit better now that I know I'm not alone. Telkom is also my ISP.

It's very baffling, though. I have absolutely no problems with any other site I access. And the problem started out of the blue without any changes of my own IT environment - that I was aware of.

Anybody have suggestions on what is happening?
Old May 10, 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks for reporting this. Just wanted to let you both know that we are looking into this issue to try to determine what is causing the block, but haven't found the culprit yet.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:07 am

I've reported this to our network operations people. I'll let you know if they find anything. Cheetah_SA, do you also use that ISP?
Old May 13, 2010, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
The forums stopped loading for me around noon today. I noticed that it was hanging trying to load ibpxl.com

I have the noscript extension on Firefox. Around 7 p.m. I clicked that, marked it to flag ibpxl.com as untrusted, and then FT loaded instantly. It's some crap in javascript at the end of the page code.

<script type="text/javascript"> pxlSiteFile = "flyertalk.com.js"; pxlScriptStart = '%3Cscr' + 'ipt type="text/javascript"'; pxlScriptEnd = '%3C/scr' + 'ipt%3E'; if (location.protocol.indexOf("https") == -1) { document.write(unescape(pxlScriptStart + ' src="http://pxl.ibpxl.com/'+pxlSiteFile+'"%3E'+pxlScriptEnd)); } else { document.write(unescape(pxlScriptStart + ' src="https://pxlssl.ibpxl.com/'+pxlSiteFile+'"%3E'+pxlScriptEnd)); }
Old May 14, 2010, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
The forums stopped loading for me around noon today. I noticed that it was hanging trying to load ibpxl.com

I have the noscript extension on Firefox. Around 7 p.m. I clicked that, marked it to flag ibpxl.com as untrusted, and then FT loaded instantly. It's some crap in javascript at the end of the page code.
Around noon in what time zone?

The ibpxl is a script the we use to push all sorts of other scripts through, so by disabling that, you may run into problems down the road.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Around noon in what time zone?

The ibpxl is a script the we use to push all sorts of other scripts through, so by disabling that, you may run into problems down the road.
noon until 7 p.m. central time. As soon as I disabled that FT resumed loading, but now I don't get smilies or multi-quoting.
Old May 14, 2010, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
noon until 7 p.m. central time. As soon as I disabled that FT resumed loading, but now I don't get smilies or multi-quoting.
Smilies and multi-quotes shouldn't have anything to do with the ibpxl.

If you disable the block on the ibpxl, I assume that the site slows back down? If that's the case, try to load the page with ?nocache=1 at the end if the url. So http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ncredible.html becomes http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...html?nocache=1

You might also try using a different browser, specifically one that handles javascript well, such as Google Chrome.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turns out it's the ui.ibsrv.net that is killing it, not the ibpxl.
When I allow that one, even with ?nocache=1 FT doesn't load.

Allowing ibpxl doesn't seem to matter.

Firefox 3.6.3, WinXP sp2.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:38 am

I'm escalating this to our network guy who will take a look. I don't know why that sub-domain wouldn't be liked.

FWIW, ui.ibsrv.net is a static content server housed at the same place as the regular FT servers. There should be no difference between downloading from there.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am seeing delays getting FT started up that are caused by waiting for Facebook to respond. So it is clear that all FT users are paying a price for this feature, whether or not we want to use it.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I am seeing delays getting FT started up that are caused by waiting for Facebook to respond. So it is clear that all FT users are paying a price for this feature, whether or not we want to use it.
You can disable all facebook calls in your options.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
You can disable all facebook calls in your options.
Thanks, very helpful -- although the option says "hide" Facebook connections. If the call is still being made the delays will still occur.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:19 am

They aren't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.