Is it my PC set-up?

Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Is it my PC set-up?

Since Christmas, I have difficulty loading flyertalk.com.
Often the message "cannot display..." shows up.

A friend of mine thought that the website shut down, which is not the case.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AC*E50, DL*SM, JMB
It might come from your browser or from your anti-virus program which is blocking flyertalk.com webpage to load properly.
Best thing would be to run a complete check of your system + run a full defrag of your HDD.
Second, check if something changed in your web browser properties. I don't know which one you use, Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari...

If you still have the same problem, then it's time to do a fresh install. In other words, format your HDD and re-install Windows and everything that comes up with.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by world888traveler
If you still have the same problem, then it's time to do a fresh install. In other words, format your HDD and re-install Windows and everything that comes up with.
That seems a bit radical if the problem is just FT. It's been years since I've done a full OS reload, and it really shouldn't be necessary.

Vaclav, which browser are you using? Are any other sites giving you trouble?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I use Internet Explorer.
Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomh009
That seems a bit radical if the problem is just FT. It's been years since I've done a full OS reload, and it really shouldn't be necessary.

Vaclav, which browser are you using? Are any other sites giving you trouble?
Internet Explorer.
The only other sites giving me trouble beside flyertalk.com are some with .cz
Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:13 pm

A full OS reload is necessary once a year to ensure that the computer is running properly. Not doing it would mean that the system will become slower every year, and files can become corrupt. If it's an OS X, then it's not necessary...but on a PC running any version of Windows, I would do this. And I'm speaking from experience because I work in this sector.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by Vaclav
Since Christmas, I have difficulty loading flyertalk.com.
Often the message "cannot display..." shows up.

A friend of mine thought that the website shut down, which is not the case.

Any advice?

Thanks
Download Chrome and report back the experience.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I have been having the same problem with FT (and only with FT) on and off for a few months now on both IE and Firefox. No problems with Chrome. There's a thread in the tech forum about it from a while ago and as I recall it seems to have something to do with the time it takes for the ads to load.

As a result, I've been using Chome a lot lately!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by world888traveler
A full OS reload is necessary once a year to ensure that the computer is running properly. Not doing it would mean that the system will become slower every year, and files can become corrupt. If it's an OS X, then it's not necessary...but on a PC running any version of Windows, I would do this. And I'm speaking from experience because I work in this sector.
I've worked in software development for ages, and have used Windows since the 2.x days (ugh), so I have some experience, too. As long as you are not constantly adding and removing software (which can leave crud behind), it's really not necessary (and apps can leave crud on OS X, too).

I haven't done an OS reload in ages. And Mrs tomh009 ran the same Windows XP install on her trusty ThinkPad X31 from 2004 to 2010, when I managed to convince her to upgrade. Yes, I added memory and switched to a bigger, faster disk, but even there the disk was cloned, not rebuilt.

Sure, rebuilds can be done but you'll spend a lot of time rebuilding, reinstalling and reactivating applications.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:11 pm

I've worked in software development for ages, and have used Windows since the 2.x days (ugh), so I have some experience, too. As long as you are not constantly adding and removing software (which can leave crud behind), it's really not necessary (and apps can leave crud on OS X, too).

I haven't done an OS reload in ages. And Mrs tomh009 ran the same Windows XP install on her trusty ThinkPad X31 from 2004 to 2010, when I managed to convince her to upgrade. Yes, I added memory and switched to a bigger, faster disk, but even there the disk was cloned, not rebuilt.

Sure, rebuilds can be done but you'll spend a lot of time rebuilding, reinstalling and reactivating applications.
I agree with you. One thing though, there is no need to rebuild and reactivating apps. Just do an image copy of your HDD with Norton Ghost or any other application and you are set. If something crashes or is not working, all you have is to re-load the image and you can use everything. Other ppl do prefer to re-install app 1 to 100 and so on including Win..but an image copy is mych better. Anyway, we both know what is better from what is not
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Windows *is* the virus. My computers have been windows-free since end of 1991.

Currently very happy with Linux.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
What version of Internet Explorer? If it is version 6, then upgrade to 7 or 8.

It is quite possibly a DNS problem. First, install Google Chrome or another browser and try again - this is the easiest thing to try. If you have the same problem it is most likely a DNS issue. DNS (domain name service) is the service that translates web addresses into numbers - IP addresses.

Next, go to your Network Settings and see if a specific DNS server is utilized. right click on My Network Places, right click on LAN or Local Area Network (assuming you have a home network), Select Internet Protocol (do not uncheck the checkbox - click on the words), then click Properties. If "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" is selected, then the DNS is determined by your internet provider. If "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" is selected, then you are using hardcoded dns servers. If you have to do that, OpenDNS is very good.

If you have a DNS server hardcoded, write it down (always write things down!), then select Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and see if the problem goes away. If it does not go away, you can try OpenDNS by putting those addresses in your dns setting (go to their website, sign up for free and they tell you the IP addresses for their DNS). Enter those into the "Use the following DNS server addresses".

Finally, it may be your internet provider's DNS blocking these sites. Contact their support and see what they say. I have run into this in the past. depending on how you get your internet, it could involve multiple parties. It is hard to pinpoint the problem without seeing your laptop.

As mentioned previously, it could be other problems. Malwarebytes is a great program for deteecting and removing malware. I really don't think a complete reinstall is the answer, as that is usually the last resort for fixing a problem.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:46 pm

No accessibility problems whatsoever for this iPad and/or MacBook Air user.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Windows *is* the virus. My computers have been windows-free since end of 1991.

Currently very happy with Linux.
I believe in free choice of OS beliefs, just like free choice of political and religious beliefs.

Me personally, I think that if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I have been having the same problem with FT (and only with FT) on and off for a few months now on both IE and Firefox. No problems with Chrome. There's a thread in the tech forum about it from a while ago and as I recall it seems to have something to do with the time it takes for the ads to load.

As a result, I've been using Chome a lot lately!
FT ad load times are definitely long -- I block Flash, but most of the page reload time is still taken up contacting and waiting for non-FT sites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.