Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tapatalk -- NOT coming to FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, One Pass Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IBobi
There is a FlyerTalk iPhone app (see it in the app store), an Android app in the Android marketplace, and there is of course the option to view the full site on your mobile browser!

With so many mobile options, and considering the drawbacks, Tapatalk just doesn't make sense for FlyerTalk. Please give one of the other mobile options a try

Paul
I think many users prefer Tapatalk so that they can consolidate all of their forum usage on a single app instead of having to download a separate app just for FT.

I also think that part of the resistance against Tapatalk is a due unfamiliarity with the product. A lot of the most popular forums use it... not sure what's the big fear with allowing FT on it also.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by MoxJr
I also think that part of the resistance against Tapatalk is a due unfamiliarity with the product. A lot of the most popular forums use it... not sure what's the big fear with allowing FT on it also.
The problem with it AIUI is that it doesn't carry through advertising. And given the very mobile nature of FTers, I expect that'd cost them dearly.

Neil
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM
I still would like to have Tapatalk installed
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:39 am

Hoping some kind of a compromise is reached.

I appreciate FlyerTalk want to keep the branding and advertising income, but the more forum owners push back, the more users will eventually find creative ways (e.g. html scraping) to redisplay forums in a better way.

Back in the 1990s usenet provided a clean super-fast and multi-threaded means to conduct discussions. Spam killed it and unfortunately with the move to the web things became clunky again, but web forums allowed for advertising revenue etc.

There has to be a middle ground. Perhaps the developers of apps like tapatalk can work with forum owners to find a way to make advertising work.

As it stands I'm now (via a program called BlueStacks) running the Android version of Taptatalk on my Mac desktop. It makes forum browsing superfast. I've stopped accessing a few of the forums that don't support it as I'm tired of clicking 'next page' and waiting for html to reload- it seems so backward.

I carry on reading flyertalk because it's interesting. But eventually accessing a forum through web html will seem incredibly outmoded, when so many of the other forums I use can all be accessed via a single, streamlined interface that lets me read them quickly and efficiently.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by IBobi
There have been many responses within this thread, from myself and Dick (look for our usernames in RED early and often in this thread); the plainly and oft-stated answer on Tapatalk is no, for the reasons expressed by us on the preceding pages.

The native apps are not perfect, but they're used by many FTers and provide more than the basic functionality that 3rd-party forum readers do, without exposing FlyerTalk to the vagaries of what and how some other company wishes to do with our members' content.

I'm sorry that the answer is negative, but I hope we've done our best to explain. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Paul
Community Manager
I've been a big user of Tapatalk and it is everything that the FT app is not -- it's usable, friendly, and a step up from trying to use a mobile browser.

Sadly, I simply don't frequent FT unless I'm sitting at a computer. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA - Premier 1K, UA MM 1K; Marriott Platinum
Can we get this activated yet? Understand the perceived security issues but so many forums already use tapatalk...why fight it? Plus more people will use it. Like the poster above me, I only really check this when I'm on a computer.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wangta
Can we get this activated yet? Understand the perceived security issues but so many forums already use tapatalk...why fight it? Plus more people will use it. Like the poster above me, I only really check this when I'm on a computer.
They aren't going to do it. Which is unfortunate, because the mobile apps are absolutely terrible and they don't seem motivated to make better ones.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
What about a Tapatalk branded app? Or is this what they have now?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:18 pm

I find myself only frequenting forums I can get to on tapatalk. I miss flyertalk. Please enable this. My work bans forums, so if I can't read it on mobile nicely, I don't.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:56 pm

So FT won't be on Tapatalk, which is a shame, however, hopefully one day they will get round and update their native Android app, which frankly, sucks. Not surprisingly, it only has had a few thousand installs.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theworld
So FT won't be on Tapatalk, which is a shame, however, hopefully one day they will get round and update their native Android app, which frankly, sucks. Not surprisingly, it only has had a few thousand installs.
It does. And I'll be the first to admit that I only really hit FT anymore when sitting in front of an actual computer. I tried the Android app and then deleted it.

But they decided they don't like Tapatalk, so it means many of us will just use that time frequenting forums that do.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:51 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I vote for tapatalk.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I vote for tapatalk.
Your vote doesn't count. And in this instance, neither does mine.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
What a shame ...

I just picked up tapatalk 4 for under a buck because I thought that I could use it. It is a shame that flyertalk doesn't support it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: IHG PE • WN ALP/CP • National EE
What I would *really* like to know is why FT is using an outdated version of vBulletin rather than vBulletin 5 Connect + mobile?

...especially since IB owns vBulletin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.