Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Signatures related issues / can't create a signature (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signature related issues / can't create a signature

"A personalized signature is available to you once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member."Link to full Rule.

When members have been enrolled in FlyerTalk 180 days and have made 180 contributive posts, they are permitted to have personal signatures; this feature is automatically enabled. At that time, they may add a signature that must adhere to this Rule . (N.B. Padded posts, those that are basically contentless and serve only for post count, can be summarily deleted; post counts can also be reset.)

Older, obsolete posts have been archived to this thread.

See the illustration on the first post for where to find the Edut Signature option in the Settings and Options submenu.

(This wikipost is locked and may be edited by moderators.)

Wikipost instructions: wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Signatures related issues / can't create a signature (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: AC E75K
EDIT: Nevermind. Issue resolved.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Same here...and I've been a member for almost 4 years. I didn't think I was ever going to cross that 180/180 boundary! haha! In fact, I'm curious when the rules changed from 90/90 to 180//180, and why I wasn't grandfathered in under the 90/90...I guess it's not a big deal now, though, since I'm at 180/180! ^

Anyway, I've looked, and I don't have an "Edit Signature" link on the MyFlyerTalk page. There must be some sort of delay, I'm guessing.
You should be able to see the option in Your Control Panel under the Settings and Options submenu. If that option doesn't appear, let us know. The enabling should be automatic.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
When you became a member, it was 180 / 180. It still is. There have been no changes to the criteria for enabling signatures in at least two years.
Out of curiosity, why do such criteria exist?

Is there something about signatures that is worse than, say, a new users who passed whatever the minimum threshold of posts and then launches a spam campaign?

180/180 seems oddly high. 180 posts, fine. But half a year? I could (obvs am not...) make a dormant account, and then on day 179 sit around, fart, and post 180 useless posts. Then, I could have the highly coveted signature? What is so great about a signature that one must wait 180 days? If there's a genuine threat to the integrity of the community, I'm all ears. Otherwise, it seems like some Internet Brands nonsense.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
I could (obvs am not...) make a dormant account, and then on day 179 sit around, fart, and post 180 useless posts.
FTers have made posting runs in the past for Coupon Connection, a forum that also has a 180/180 entry requirement. You'd be surprised how quickly the FT moderators can recognize someone on a posting run and delete their posts.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
FTers have made posting runs in the past for Coupon Connection, a forum that also has a 180/180 entry requirement. You'd be surprised how quickly the FT moderators can recognize someone on a posting run and delete their posts.
Ok, but is 180/180 the right threshold?

What about 180 posts and 90 days?

Or 300 posts and 110 days?

or 40 posts and 12 months?

Why cant there be a function to screen out months of dormant activity?

I'm not liking what Internet Brands is up to. I need to talk to Barbara about this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:46 pm

Sounds like you should PM the Community Director. She's the only one that can change the policy.

Who's Barbara?
IBJoel and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:34 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands

What about 180 posts and 90 days?

Or 300 posts and 110 days?

or 40 posts and 12 months?

Why cant there be a function to screen out months of dormant activity?

I'm not liking what Internet Brands is up to. I need to talk to Barbara about this.
Many forums have a threshold for signatures as both a measure against spam and to reward dedicated members. 180/180 has been our agreed upon threshold for the better part of a decade with minimal friction. There isn't a function to screen out "dormant" periods because it's not really necessary. If you were a longtime member with a low post count and suddenly got into a discussion over say, the course of a weekend, and bumped up your posts by 50 and hit the threshold, that's completely fine (so long as they were all within the rules).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:28 am
Community Director Emerita

This was a Talkboard decision, arrived at after long discussion. We no longer have a Talkboard so any decision to change this would come from me. There's been no tension over this metric and no reason for change.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director
IBJoel likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Not all decisions were made by IB...

Out of curiosity, why do such criteria exist?

Is there something about signatures that is worse than, say, a new users who passed whatever the minimum threshold of posts and then launches a spam campaign?

180/180 seems oddly high. 180 posts, fine. But half a year? I could (obvs am not...) make a dormant account, and then on day 179 sit around, fart, and post 180 useless posts. Then, I could have the highly coveted signature? What is so great about a signature that one must wait 180 days? If there's a genuine threat to the integrity of the community, I'm all ears. Otherwise, it seems like some Internet Brands nonsense.
IB has nothing to do with this 180/180 threshold.

Since this is your first year on FT, you may not be aware how passionate long-time FTers were about improving FT during TalkBoard Era. It may be worthwhile for you to dig into this Coupon Connection access motion thread and learn about how this particular decision was last made on Coupon Connection 180/180 requirements:

Motion Passed: Change Coupon Connection Access Requirements

Furthermore, if you have time to spare, you may take a look at the now-archived TalkBoard Forum and read up what topics had been covered on FT from the beginning through 2016. Now if there's anything you want to advocate changes on FT, you'll have to talk to our Community Director via PMs or Suggestion Box Forum.

BTW, post padding is not allowed per FT TOS: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#padding
IBJoel and JDiver like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Hi guys, I just realized I hit the 180 count but I don't see the option to add a signature in my profile. Has this moved to another location in my settings or is something else up? Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:01 am

Have you tried logging out and logging back in? if that doesn't work I'd give it a day or two for the software to catch up.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Have you tried logging out and logging back in? if that doesn't work I'd give it a day or two for the software to catch up.
Login logout worked and the option appeared. Thanks and cheers!
JDiver and SanDiego1K like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.