FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Support and Feedback (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback-386/)
-   -   Forum jump drop down box gone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1023693-forum-jump-drop-down-box-gone.html)

JayBrian Dec 4, 2009 6:29 am

Forum jump drop down box gone?

I seem to have lost the drop down box at the bottom of the page that allows one to jump from one forum to another.

Anyone else?

Never mind, it is back now.

wharvey Dec 4, 2009 6:30 am

Strange... what browser are you using? I am on IE and seeing the drop down box.

JayBrian Dec 4, 2009 6:32 am

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 12924229)
Strange... what browser are you using? I am on IE and seeing the drop down box.

It is back now. I don't know what happened. Maybe it was a brain fart.

Yankeeflyer Dec 4, 2009 6:56 am

Mine disappeared yesterday. It was gone this morning while browsing as a guest, but reappared after I logged in. (Using Firefox 3.5, but replicated the issue on IE 6.0).

JayBrian Dec 4, 2009 10:02 am

The forum jump drop down box seems to be available now only when logged in.

Top Tier Dec 4, 2009 11:04 am

Another "enhancement"?

Originally Posted by JayBrian (Post 12925459)
The forum jump drop down box seems to be available now only when logged in.

I only log on when I have something to say. If I want to browse the forums without posting, I (used to) use the drop down box to easily navigate between those forums that interest me.

This new "feature" makes it much more inconvenient to just browse the forums when not logged on.

Between this and the drastic decline in quality and civility evident in OmniP/R since the changes that "opened" that forum to the masses, Flyertalk is becoming, for me, more trouble than it's worth.

:td:

Mikel at Webflyer Dec 4, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't know the answer yet as to why the jump box is missing, but thought it better to post "I don't know" than to leave you all hanging. Either myself or someone from the IB tech team will post back as soon as this issue is clarified.

As always, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Randy Petersen Dec 4, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm hopeful that Internet Brands will get their act together on proving a better experience with stable uptime but i noticed this other comment.

I read this and went and did yet another quick audit. In the last 1,000 posts in OMNI/PR which accounted for posts by about 600+ members, only a single member (PhoenixRev) would not normally be there with the change in OMNI. The facts, all this time later, seem to support what was said to begin with and that the change has really been nothing, other than to not segregate the normal members of FT. If you sense quality and civility matters, it's really been the result of the members who posted there before the change, not the change itself and not from new voices other than a rare example like PhoenixRev. No one has complained about their posts so this single member likely not the problem. Another member might be close in this interpretation but they have posts exceeding 100 elsewhere and has been a member from oct 07. Fact is, OMNI has not been overrun since the change and hasn't had any material change in the makeup of the conversations which the existing members (prior to the change) make up. Just like things in life, sometimes it just seems that way but with no real basis. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Top Tier (Post 12925824)
Between this and the drastic decline in quality and civility evident in OmniP/R since the changes that "opened" that forum to the masses, Flyertalk is becoming, for me, more trouble than it's worth.

Mary2e Dec 4, 2009 12:58 pm

Randy, Please stop saying Omni has not changed. It has. I don't know/care what statistics you're pulling, but as a person who a) never wanted Omni in the first place and b) hardly ever went there unless it was because of a RBP or if you needed something, well, you're really not the person to judge.

There is a massive difference in Omni since opening it up to the world and google bots. There are zero post count trolls. There are people who post nowhere else on FT except for Omni P/R. There are hit & run posters from other FT forums. Just because no one uses RBPs doesn't mean they're not being disruptive. It means the regulars in Omni are used to those things and don't report the posts.

Most of the regular posters who actually care(d) about FT have stopped posting - including myself.

IBsteph Dec 4, 2009 1:08 pm

I let tech know- I can still see the forum jump on mine though

IBsteph Dec 4, 2009 1:20 pm

Just checked with Dick.This change was made intentionally yesterday when they did a VBSEO update. It was included with the latest version of this plugin and unfortunately this is irreversible. You will have to log in to see the ' forum jump' drop down..

Sorry for the inconvenience.

steph-

Top Tier Dec 4, 2009 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by IBsteph (Post 12926635)
Just checked with Dick.This change was made intentionally yesterday when they did a VBSEO update. It was included with the latest version of this plugin and unfortunately this is irreversible. You will have to log in to see the ' forum jump' drop down..

steph-

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 12926472)
I'm hopeful that Internet Brands will get their act together on proving a better experience with stable uptime but i noticed this other comment.

I read this and went and did yet another quick audit. In the last 1,000 posts in OMNI/PR which accounted for posts by about 600+ members, only a single member (PhoenixRev) would not normally be there with the change in OMNI. The facts, all this time later, seem to support what was said to begin with and that the change has really been nothing, other than to not segregate the normal members of FT. If you sense quality and civility matters, it's really been the result of the members who posted there before the change, not the change itself and not from new voices other than a rare example like PhoenixRev. No one has complained about their posts so this single member likely not the problem. Another member might be close in this interpretation but they have posts exceeding 100 elsewhere and has been a member from oct 07. Fact is, OMNI has not been overrun since the change and hasn't had any material change in the makeup of the conversations which the existing members (prior to the change) make up. Just like things in life, sometimes it just seems that way but with no real basis. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the prompt replies.

Whether or not the change in atmosphere in OMNI can be attributed to the access changes made awhile back, I don't think anyone can deny that it has changed markedly from what it once was, and not for the better.

This does not diminish my appreciation for the rest of Flyertalk as a valuable tool for maximizing the value of my various frequent traveler programs, nor my gratitude to you for creating and nurturing it.

hemispheric Dec 4, 2009 2:18 pm

steph-

Why was this done? It's really an inconvenience, and I can't imagine any positive aspect of it.

sbm12 Dec 4, 2009 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by hemispheric (Post 12926923)
Why was this done? It's really an inconvenience, and I can't imagine any positive aspect of it.

This change was made intentionally yesterday when they did a VBSEO update.

That's the bit that alters the URLs to make them read in plain text (e.g. /Technical-Issues-386/ rather than forum=386). The search engines love that sort of thing as they can "read" just the URLs and assume that they know something about the content. That translates into more traffic to the site and, ultimately, more ad clicks.

In other words, it's all about the money. Just like always.

Hvr Dec 4, 2009 4:38 pm

steph-

And it is a huge inconvenience. :mad: As other posters have said if you only want to drop in for a quick review of some threads then you either have to log in or stuff around trying to go through the menu to find said threads.

If you read a long page and want to navigate elsewhere back to the top and through the menu again.

Anything that makes it difficult to enjoy the FlyerTalk experience will make it harder for new members to become a part of the community and may well be the final straw for members frustrated by other problems.

I don't fall into either of those categories but any frustrations like this do make it harder to find threads you review all over the site and will undoubtedly cause a lower posting rate.:td: