Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP screwed me on a refund. Now, new booking they are pestering me to bid to upgrade

TAP screwed me on a refund. Now, new booking they are pestering me to bid to upgrade

Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

Some time ago I had quite the headache with a charge back because TAP said to apply for a refund - which I did - but never said they would only refund taxes when I asked for a cash refund. Grrr - still dealing with the Canadian bank charge back.

Now that I have booked Economy Plus flights RT during next week, I cannot find their booking class, and now TAP is sending me notices that I can bid for an upgrade. BUT, there still is no way of finding out which booking class I would "get".

I need to know the booking classes so I can figure out how many TPs I will get with A3 Miles and?? FF plan.

Grrr. Why is TAP so secretive about booking classes BUT intrusive wrt trying to get me to spend more on bidding for an upgrade?
They should be sold and management/policy directions changed. 🙄😢
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:24 am

No Y+ anymore on TP
No transparency for paid bookings

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice,...?

PS: Selling would mean less influence and less nepotism in Portugal. Good joke, right?

Might even get worse with the elections this weekend.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by estrela
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...?
+1. I find it difficult to understand the perspective of one who says that a company "screwed" them on a refund to the extent they have filed a charge back but yet patronizes that business AGAIN, even while the charge back remains unresolved. And then comes here with a new set of complaints about how that company operates. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
estrela, kai.lileboo and mmff like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by galawdawg
+1. I find it difficult to understand the perspective of one who says that a company "screwed" them on a refund to the extent they have filed a charge back but yet patronizes that business AGAIN, even while the charge back remains unresolved. And then comes here with a new set of complaints about how that company operates. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
If you look at prices you will understand why.

A flight (for example) RT LIS-MRS with TAP is half-ish the price of LH, IB, BA, etc. Check for yourself on matrix.itasoftware.

I have now learned how TAP works. AND there is no point in throwing good at LH, IB, BA, etc - especially if their flights take significantly longer than 2 hrs and 20 min (scheduled, posted times on Matrix) for TAP flights. Yes, you often do/don't get what you pay for- especially if a hub is far away from LIS or MRS. I would NOT consider flying LIS-MRS through IST even if the flight was only 100 RT on Turkish Airlines. 😉

I just delete the TAP ads ...
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

No Y+ anymore on TP
No transparency for paid bookings

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice,...?

PS: Selling would mean less influence and less nepotism in Portugal. Good joke, right?

Might even get worse with the elections this weekend.
My TAP booking says "Economy Plus". It seems TAP has a different nomenclature system. They call an Executive class what others call Business class.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:30 pm

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
If you compare the different fares in their website, you will understand what they mean by plus.

Regarding the upgrade, I think it will change your booking class to P which might not give you nothing (I'm not familiar with A3 FFP, but it happened to me a few years ago with LH)
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miles_collector
If you compare the different fares in their website, you will understand what they mean by plus.

Regarding the upgrade, I think it will change your booking class to P which might not give you nothing (I'm not familiar with A3 FFP, but it happened to me a few years ago with LH)
According to the A3 website, booking class P is called Economy Discounted, with an accrual factor of 50%. Go figure - an upgrade becomes Economy Discounted. 😜

BUT then a LH upgrade is not the same as a TAP upgrade, so who knows what would happen. Academic anyways as there is no upgrade for me on TAP as my booking is still "Economy Plus" (not to be confused with Y+). LH has been notorious with it's use of P as a booking class, and that has been mentioned on a number of *A forums.

Last edited by tmac100; Mar 6, 2024 at 5:23 am
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
I might not have been clear enough about my answer. I was not talking about a LH P class, I was talking about a TP P class after upgrading a fligh in Y that got me nothing in LH M&M.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miles_collector
I might not have been clear enough about my answer. I was not talking about a LH P class, I was talking about a TP P class after upgrading a fligh in Y that got me nothing in LH M&M.
I understand. My FFP is with A3. I checked what happened to you (getting booking class P with the upgrade). If that would happen to me ( and right now it won't) I would get P allocated as "Economy Discount" on my FFP with A3, and only 50% accrual.

Yes, it is frustrating in spending hard-earned with TAP to get upgraded, and then getting "nada" miles/TPs. 😢 I conclude that it is best not to upgrade with TAP, and save my for something else..
Old Mar 7, 2024, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
I understand. My FFP is with A3. I checked what happened to you (getting booking class P with the upgrade). If that would happen to me ( and right now it won't) I would get P allocated as "Economy Discount" on my FFP with A3, and only 50% accrual.

Yes, it is frustrating in spending hard-earned with TAP to get upgraded, and then getting "nada" miles/TPs. 😢 I conclude that it is best not to upgrade with TAP, and save my for something else..
just check current earning chart before you proceed an upgrade. https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../airlines/tap/ this was discussed in A3 forum too. unfortunately not updated for years.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by romans
just check current earning chart before you proceed an upgrade. https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../airlines/tap/ this was discussed in A3 forum too. unfortunately not updated for years.
Yes, unfortunately 🙄
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Now that I have booked Economy Plus flights RT during next week, I cannot find their booking class.
If you booked and paid for it then check the booking confirmation with eticket , not the shiny mail with colors but the one with basic text , it should be there

and now TAP is sending me notices that I can bid for an upgrade. BUT, there still is no way of finding out which booking class I would "get".
99% sure you cant ; cause TAP designed their systems this way

I need to know the booking classes so I can figure out how many TPs I will get with A3 Miles and?? FF plan.
check these threads please , easier than repeating same thing again here , but withiin star alliance A3 members mostly have issues with TP and AC

Miles from TAP flight not credited to Aegean

How to find my booking class?

TAP Portugal -Booking classes in economy plus?

Crediting Air Canada Premium Economy to Aegean

edit = later i noticed that in another thread , duvin pointed you towards an old post from irishguy28 which summarize perfectly the TP+AC vs A3 mess

I am adding it here in case a future reader needs advices = https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34466077-post14.html

I think we should create a sticky thread about this matter , as its a recurring issue

Grrr. Why is TAP so secretive about booking classes BUT intrusive wrt trying to get me to spend more € on bidding for an upgrade?
They should be sold and management/policy directions changed. 🙄😢
Long story short , TAP stopped displaying fare classes , cause this is irrelevant for their FFP members , but as a collateral damage it impacts others unfortunately

In other FFPs , upgrading after purchase wont change earnings so its more simple , you just pay for a better seat/service
  • If miles matter to you and its an absolute criteria and you cant book a ticket if you dont know how much miles you will get simply avoid TP
  • if you want to fly with them and just want to grab an earning class then book classic or plus and you most likely will be good if crediting to A3
  • if you dont care about miles at all book whatever option is convenient for you

ITA Matrix will give you an idea about which class you might hit by booking cheapest fare in economy or business. I had a funny argument with another member of this forum about the fact that ITA is a bit of gambling in this case but i do agree with him that it can work

Based on my general experience (not related to TP only), booking through TA (not OTA) can help target a specific fare class , as they can "pull out some magic tricks from the hat"

A flight (for example) RT LIS-MRS with TAP is half-ish the price of LH, IB, BA, etc. Check for yourself on matrix.itasoftware.
Because there is competition at least , if not then TP would charge whatever amount they want and you have pretty much no other choice ; thats the case with some portugese speaking countries in africa for instance or some cities in brasil if travelling from europe

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 12, 2024 at 5:09 am
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:48 am
Original Poster

The "fun" continues. In a different thread, I mentioned I succumbed to temptation and put in an upgrade bid that was accepted. The original class should have been deleted and replaced with my new eticket, but it was not and TAP credited me with 408(?) TPs because they assigned booking class P. But my new eticket for upgrade has booking class C - so I should have received over 1600 TPs.

Now I cannot claim the missing miles on A3 because their missing miles claim form is "stuck" on March 3rd. I will have to wait until I can enter March 12th - the date I flew the upgrade.

Sheesh. What a pain this is becoming..
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:30 am

The "fun" continues. In a different thread, I mentioned I succumbed to temptation and put in an upgrade bid that was accepted. The original class should have been deleted and replaced with my new eticket, but it was not and TAP credited me with 408(?) TPs because they assigned booking class P. But my new eticket for upgrade has booking class C - so I should have received over 1600 TPs.

Now I cannot claim the missing miles on A3 because their missing miles claim form is "stuck" on March 3rd. I will have to wait until I can enter March 12th - the date I flew the upgrade.

Sheesh. What a pain this is becoming..
Welcome to TP. I feel you. You might need a lawyer or passenger rights agency or the livro de reclamaoes to get your issue solved as TP does not care about normal customer requests.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Welcome to TP. I feel you. You might need a lawyer or passenger rights agency or the livro de reclamaoes to get your issue solved as TP does not care about normal customer requests.
The livro de reclamaoes sounds like the way to go.
Where would I find it? Lisbon, I presume, but where?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.