Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Options for Cancelled Connecting Flight

Old Sep 29, 2023, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi All! Apologies for what is likely a newbie question, but there is so much information out there (including this forum), that I think I've confused myself - so affirmation, correction, point in the right direction, indiscriminate shouting at my choices in life, etc. is much appreciated.

Single ticket flight IAD - LIS - MAN for travel in October, 2023

Received e-mail from TAP that the LIS - MAN flight has been cancelled and I have been rebooked on a LIS - MAN flight which departs ~13 hours later (same day)

E-mail from TAP lists the following language (copy/paste):

If the change in your flight schedule allows you to arrive more than 3 hours after the time initially reserved, according to article 8 of European Community Regulation (EC) 261/2004, you will have the right to choose between:
  • Ticket refund for the part or parts of the trip not made, and for the part or parts of the trip already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan. This refund can be made using the original form of payment or by voucher.
  • Re-routing, under equivalent transportation conditions, to your final destination.

The language in the above copy/paste is a bit confusing to me. Seeking feedback on the following:

1) I am allowed to choose refund of the portion of the ticket (LIS - MAN)

or

2) I can seek to be re-routed under equivalent transportation

My confusion comes from this - since I originate in IAD, can I request that TAP rebook the entirety of my trip? I've read elsewhere that (even if successful), I would be limited to alliance partners. TAP will not be able to re-route me on their own flights unless it is a different day (which also will not work). If TAP refuses, is the refund really only limited to the connecting flight, or is the entire flight covered since it's a single ticket?

Much appreciate the advice. I'm currently on hour 4 of hold time with TAP's customer service. (I wonder if I can just run down to IAD and speak to someone at the airport live - is this a thing?)
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The reality is that you can choose between cancel the entire ticket/full refund (not partial refund for the LIS-MAN segment only) or rebooking to other TAP flights (the entirety/all flights of the ticket).

From experience there is zero chance that TAP will accept to rebook to other carriers or even Star Alliance Partners this far out. So you can rebook to TAP flights on a different date with a better/shorter connection time at LIS; I can not rule out that TAP may agree to rebook to LHR if you prefer this. If this doesn't work, you can request to cancel and get a full refund and book a ticket elsewhere.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 10:11 am

The EU regulation would cover the next available flight IAD-MAN whatever airline this is.

Your problem is: the portuguese enforcement body is also the owner of TP and I do not know the UK court decisions. You will have to deal with those authorities unfortunately as Tap usually lies to customers and ignores the law.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by estrela
The EU regulation would cover the next available flight IAD-MAN whatever airline this is.
No, if the OP was offered the next same day flight IST-MAN (despite a long layover) TAP is under no obligation to rebook the OP to other airlines. Had there been no same day departure to MAN, the OP would be entitled to rebook as you suggest. Anyway, TAP is never going to accept to rebook to other airlines so the discussion is mute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.