Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew strikes - December 2022 and into 2023 [now resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew strikes - December 2022 and into 2023 [now resolved]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ermis177
Thanks CWS for the info. Do you usually say something “specific” regarding the LE versus TAP case or they do rebook you the usual way ie remind them EU261?
Well no, I very much doubt agents themselves are aware of LE v TAP, but their bosses presumably are. So the usual format is "I see my flight is cancelled but the online rebooking tool is only showing TAP flights some days later - can you rebook me to the original date please?" and then after a long hold they would come back and say "I have this alternative on United for you". In the BA case there was a bit of push back but I said that I would be charging 3 days hotel in Lisbon to TAP (which I'd be very happy to do incidentally) since this cancellation was on a connection. The online rebooking tool is actually quite good - better than the BA one in some respects but it definitely won't show anything other than TAP and codeshares.
ermis177 and Seanish like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:01 pm

This is the info from the EU on your rights: (I am not allowed by this board to post URLs so Google for "ec261 compensation europa") and click "my flight was cancelled" on europa dot eu slash youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm
==> note that a strike of airline personnel is NOT considered "extraordinary circumstances" beyond the airline's control

Compensation - cancellation

Amount in EUR / Distance

€250 = 1 500 km or less

€400 = More than 1 500 km within the EU and all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 km

€600 = More than 3 500 km

If your flight is cancelled, the airline must offer you, on a one off basis, a choice between:
  1. the reimbursement of your ticket and, if you have a connecting flight, a return flight to the airport of departure at the earliest opportunity
  2. re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity or,
  3. re-routing at a later date at your convenience under comparable transport conditions, subject to the availability of seats.
As soon as you have chosen one of these three options, you no longer have rights in relation to the other two options. However, the airline carrier may still have to provide compensation
  • if you choose to have your ticket reimbursed – the compensation will depend on the type of flight
  • if you choose re-routing – compensation will depend on the type of flight and the delay in reaching your final destination, past the original scheduled arrival time.
You're not entitled to compensation:
  • if you are informed more than 14 days in advance
  • if you are informed between 2 weeks and 7 days before the scheduled departure and you are offered re-routing which would allow you:
    • to depart no more than 2 hours before the original scheduled time of departure and
    • to reach your final destination less than 4 hours after the original scheduled time of arrival
  • if you are informed less than 7 days before the scheduled departure and are offered re-routing which would allow you:
    • to depart no more than 1 hour before the original scheduled time of departure and
    • to reach your final destination less than 2 hours after the original scheduled time of arrival.

Warning

If the airline has offered you re-routing and you reach your final destination with a delay of 2, 3 or 4 hours the compensation may be reduced by 50%.

A printed or electronic notice informing you of your EU air passenger rights must be clearly displayed at the airport check-in desk, at check-in kiosks and on-line. If you were denied boarding, your flight was cancelled, you experienced a delay of more than 2 hours at departure or you arrive with a long delay at your final destination, the airline must give you a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance.

You are not entitled to compensation in case of extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:44 pm

Tried to reach TAP today on a US number from 8 am to 9 am. Got hung up because the call exceeded 1 hour. Lol. Didn't call once again because I haven't received any news regarding my flight. YET.
Booked a fully refundable backup flight just in case.
Flight is at 00:15 on 26/01 EWR-OPO-ORY. Hope their "3 days in advance" is 72 hours and not "1 minute before the 1st of the 3rd day end" and I have just enough time to attack their telephone support from four phones simultaneously. Don't know if there's going to be any positive outcome from that though.

BTW, it is stated in the news that "over 1300 flights are going to be canceled", but how many are going to be operated? Or does their entire crew strike?

And what about TAP's "counter-proposal" to the crew I've seen somewhere on the news?

Originally Posted by seanfitz
This is the info from the EU on your rights
There was also something about the fact that being upgraded means that you should not pay the fare difference and being downgraded means that you are entitled to 35%-85% (don't remember correctly) compensation IN ADDITION to the one that is provided by the delay/cancelation.

UPD: it's 72 hours till my flight, and I can't find it on TAP's website using "check my flight". Once I enter TP212 and choose 25/01/2023, the search resets to 24/01/2023 and I get "No flights found", which is accurate, but I don't get why the date jumps a day earlier. The flight is still shown as "Check-in opens Tomorrow at 00:15" on my booking page.
Seanish likes this.

Last edited by VasiliiNorris; Jan 22, 2023 at 10:20 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Flying in less than 48 hours and nothing from TAP. Anyone knows what is going on? TAP still sells tickets online for the 25th and onwards.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:16 am

There was another emergency meeting late morning Lisbon time today to decide on the strike, according to Portuguese news, but I can't find anything about the outcome. Maybe still going.
mechteach, ermis177 and romans like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by Seanish
There was another emergency meeting late morning Lisbon time today to decide on the strike, according to Portuguese news, but I can't find anything about the outcome. Maybe still going.
Fingers crossed. Just by a quick glance, the remaining 2 sticking point the union is asking for seemed pretty minor from what I saw....
ermis177 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by DG206
Fingers crossed. Just by a quick glance, the remaining 2 sticking point the union is asking for seemed pretty minor from what I saw....
Indeed. The one is about a second “cabin lead” on the big planes… Can someone let us know please? I am afraid I do not speak Portuguese or have any internal knowledge.
DG206 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:25 am

The meeting was conducted today at 11:30 GMT-0. It's been almost 4 hours since the beginning. But still no news.
Can't post the link since I don't have 5 posts. Google "greve TAP janeiro" and use Google Translate.
mechteach, DG206, ermis177 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by VasiliiNorris
The meeting was conducted today at 11:30 GMT-0. It's been almost 4 hours since the beginning. But still no news.
Can't post the link since I don't have 5 posts. Google "greve TAP janeiro" and use Google Translate.
Thanks for that search term! Here are a couple of links if people want them.

Most current:
https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/economia...tacao_n1461992

A bit older, but with more hyperlinked detail:
https://www.publico.pt/2023/01/22/ec...-greve-2036003
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
I'm also watching the news feeds steadily for updates as I'm booked LIs-LHR 25-28, I'll post any updates I see as soon as they come in.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:20 am

Looks like it’s cancelled, check greve tap on Twitter.
ermis177, Aired and VasiliiNorris like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:33 am

Yes, there is a fresh article in Publico newspaper about that. I congratulate everyone.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
Confirmed, no strike!
https://sicnoticias.pt/especiais/tap...ocada-f03e1c95
romans and VasiliiNorris like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Yay! Happy travels everyone!
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Good news and common sense all round it looks like. I do think TAP has lost an awful lot of bookings due to the brinkmanship though. I'll wait till the 27th when I'm home to cancel my fully flex LH booking MUC-FAO for the 28th though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.