Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Cabin crew strikes - December 2022 and into 2023 [now resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew strikes - December 2022 and into 2023 [now resolved]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by loriginCA
Would you mind sharing what EF is? I’d like to see if my original flight was officially canceled. I was on TAP 236 from SFO to Lisbon on the 8th. I proactively rebooked another award ticket with United at a higher price as keeping my original date was important but United said they’d rebook me on their flights if it actually canceled. I’m hoping to get a few miles back.

EDIT: Figured out EF is Expert Flyer and joined but Flight Status is only 4 days out. Tap has the 8th and 9th greyed out for new booking on their site. How can you see the cancel so far ahead?
Just ran a couple of searches, and seems like TP236 is indeed cancelled.

Flight timetables show a gap between the 05DEC and 10DEC:

Also double checking on Flight availability, there seems to be no direct flight SFO-LIS on the 08DEC:
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So TAP has kept by outbound Dec 7th LIS-CMN intact and rebooked my return CMN-LIS from Dec 8th to Dec 10th. That doesn't work, but I do need the outbound flight. How do I get a partial refund? I was able to rebook my return to the us from LIS-FRA-SFO to CMN-FRA-SFO.

And what is there to do while waiting for a 2:30am CMN-FRA fligfht by the way? Not my first choice, but no other options really. Near as I can tell there's no hourly airport hotel.Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So TAP has kept by outbound Dec 7th LIS-CMN intact and rebooked my return CMN-LIS from Dec 8th to Dec 10th. That doesn't work, but I do need the outbound flight. How do I get a partial refund? I was able to rebook my return to the us from LIS-FRA-SFO to CMN-FRA-SFO.
If TAP rebooked you CMN-SFO in order to deal with CMN-LIS then you're not owed a refund, it's a rebooking under the terms of EC261.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If TAP rebooked you CMN-SFO in order to deal with CMN-LIS then you're not owed a refund, it's a rebooking under the terms of EC261.
Even though the rebooked flight is 48 hours later?

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 2, 2022 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire

And what is there to do while waiting for a 2:30am CMN-FRA fligfht by the way? Not my first choice, but no other options really. Near as I can tell there's no hourly airport hotel.Thanks!
Dicey territory. Return tickets are sold as such and a partial refund puts you at the mercy of the airline to recalculate how much they owe you (hint: they'll say it's not much if anything at all).

If I were you I'd have tried a different tactic. Make TP know in no uncertain terms that a rebook to the 10th won't work and that you'd like them to rebook you on the CMN-FRA-SFO option. They're likely to deny and if they do make sure you take note of who denied it, etc.

You'd then book yourself on the flights you want (you already did that anyway, so it seems). Submit a request for a refund for that ticket - again TP is likely to refuse to pay. At that point, sue them on the small claims court for the price of the ticket you had to buy yourself.

Again, this would have been my approach but I realise many are not as keen in pursuing this route. Alas, I think this is the most effective way of dealing with it.

​​​​​
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Even though the rebooked flight is 48 hours later?
So long as TAP gives you two weeks notice of the cancellation (or 1 week in some circumstances) then they are off the hook for EC261 compensation.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mario
You'd then book yourself on the flights you want (you already did that anyway, so it seems). Submit a request for a refund for that ticket - again TP is likely to refuse to pay. At that point, sue them on the small claims court for the price of the ticket you had to buy yourself.

Again, this would have been my approach but I realise many are not as keen in pursuing this route. Alas, I think this is the most effective way of dealing with it.​​​​​
Wow. That is likely to fail. No way TP will reimburse a ticket purchased by pax. TP will argue that pax was offered a suitable rebooked flight and pax has no right to get reimbursed by TP if pax decides to take things into own hands. Plus the time you will spend pursuing this. Highly risky approach/advice IMO.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Wow. That is likely to fail. No way TP will reimburse a ticket purchased by pax. TP will argue that pax was offered a suitable rebooked flight and pax has no right to get reimbursed by TP if pax decides to take things into own hands. Plus the time you will spend pursuing this. Highly risky approach/advice IMO.
This approach has worked for me at least on three occasions. Two with BA, one with TP. In all three occasions the airlines reimbursed me for flights I had purchased to fix what they were supposed to have done in the first place.

However, I'm based in the UK where the small claims court process is very straightforward and the CAA has issued guidance that reinforces that airlines cannot just rebook you for a flight two days later and consider the matter closed.

I assume the OP is based in the US, and I have no clue of what a small claims process entails or even if EU261 would be enforceable in a US court.
estrela likes this.

Last edited by mario; Dec 4, 2022 at 6:09 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Angry Strike to take place or not?

Like many others, I received an email from TAP at the end of November concerning the cabin crew strike. But since then... nothing!

Is this stike to take place or not? Right now TAP seems to be selling seats again for all flights at least on December 8th.

I am kind of p***ed off, because TAP has not provided any information regarding this strike.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:40 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by Justinus
Like many others, I received an email from TAP at the end of November concerning the cabin crew strike. But since then... nothing!

Is this stike to take place or not? Right now TAP seems to be selling seats again for all flights at least on December 8th.

I am kind of p***ed off, because TAP has not provided any information regarding this strike.
TP has proactively cancelled 360 flights in advance and sent the email you mentioned about the strike. In addition, there is this alert in their website. Other than that, to my knowledge there is no news to communicate. Which is the missing information that should have been sent?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

If there's one thing TP is pretty much expert in, it's handling the effects of strikes. That and managing the general impact of delays inherent in their day to day operations.

It's a delicate matter: disputes can be settled, strikes called off; flights are cancelled with one eye on negotiations, the other (likely) on the timings crucial to compensation payments. But when there are cancellations they will inform you; until and unless that happens they might soften the rules attached to your ticket covering change of date.

That said, I'm flying TP on the 11th and have worries about the knock-on effect of the strike on schedules on days subsequent to industrial action. But, there again, I also have worries about UK rail strikes and getting to the airport, whether or not mum's brandy-soaked Christmas cake will make it through security and the third-country passport queues at LIS. At least I no longer have to pay to have a Q-tip poked up my nose (touch wood).
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:13 pm

The strike for 8-9th December is still confirmed and the union has now confirmed that there will be an additional 5 days strike between now and the 31st of January.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by mario
The strike for 8-9th December is still confirmed and the union has now confirmed that there will be an additional 5 days strike between now and the 31st of January.
The is exactly the kind of information I would have expected from TAP. They could also have informed J class pax that the Lisbon lounge is closed. But nothing...
Old Dec 6, 2022, 3:58 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
The is exactly the kind of information I would have expected from TAP.
The union has decided that they are going to strike in January, but they haven't even established in which dates... TP does have a communication issue. And I do understand that strikes and other IRROPS are stressful for pax who have reservations in those days or in the following days. But I really don't see what is there to communicate about a very probable strike that will happen in days which aren't even decided yet.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:48 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I’m flying on Dec 10. Should I expect more friendly and energetic service from the FAs after their two days off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.