Walk to FNC airport?

Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Walk to FNC airport?

Is there any way to walk the 1,100 metres from Santa Cruz village to Funchal airport? I am not asking whether the walk is scenic or recommended but whether it is technically and legally possible. Thanks, ps
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Google Maps/Streetview is your friend. The road leading up to the airport is a regional highway (ER) and therefore not prohibited to pedestrians. Taking a cursory look at streetview and satellite views, you can see there is a footpath the whole way, if you approach it from the underpass below ER-101 (right by the memorial of victims from the plane crash of TP425 in 1977 - yikes!) and then take the turnoff to the cargo terminal, turn onto Rua da Manuteno and onto Avenida Marginal which will lead you all the way to the terminal.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you, RafKa. I did look at Google Maps but I wasn't sure whether what I saw along ER 101 was a pavement or just a hard shoulder. I wouldn't want to walk on the latter, not even for the short distance between the edge of the village and the airport terminal. Glad to hear the route is walkable, I'll give it a try.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
No problem. I've been scoping out trail run locations around FNC and I noticed there's even a Strava running segment between Santa Cruz and the airport so definitely walkable.
estrela and romans like this.

Last edited by RafKa; Nov 17, 2022 at 5:18 am
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:05 am
Original Poster

To report back, I did do the FNC-Santa Cruz walk out and back. It's not an overly pleasant walk but it's very short, taking me less than 20 mins from Santa Cruz village centre to the terminal. There is a solid pavement all he way (I used the northern side but it looks like the southern side would also be possible), separated from the dual carriageway by crash barriers, and the actual bit on the dual carriageway is very short (c 5 min), the rest being on quiet minor roads. I'd do it again, no doubt.
RafKa and Palal like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.