FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   TAP Lost Checked Bag - Need Phone # (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/2087682-tap-lost-checked-bag-need-phone.html)

siege101 Jul 20, 2022 5:10 am

TAP Lost Checked Bag - Need Phone #

Let me try to be as thorough as possible to explain the situation.

Yesterday, July 19th, I flew on TAP flight # TP827 from MXP (Milan Malpensa) to LIS (Lisbon). The flight took off an hour + late, because of this I missed my connecting flight, TP1450 to RAK (Marrakech).

I checked in 1 piece of luggage in Milan and was told it was checked in straight through to Marrakech.

I realized I would not make my connection and asked a flight attendant onboard the MXP to LIS flight what the situation was. He said my name was on his list with a connection to Casablanca on Royal Air Maroc and then another connection which lasted over 6 hours to Marrakech. He said my checked luggage would be transferred to Royal Air Maroc and I could pick it up in Marrakech. TAP proactively did all of this. I flew on flight # AT981 from Lisbon to Casablanca and then AT403 from Casablanca to Marrakech.

Now where some issues start to appear. First, I arrived more than 3 hours late to my final destination. I believe I have an EU261 complaint that is valid. I will file that when I figure out exactly what to do.

The much more important situation to me is my checked luggage never showed up in Marrakech. I have an AirTag in my luggage and I can clearly see where it is somewhere in the terminal in Lisbon Airport.

I have filed an online lost luggage report with TAP and was given a tracer report # along with it. When I check the number, they said that tracing is still in progress and they will let me know when it is found. They also state on their website that 95% of bags are located and make it back to you within 48 hours. I have also additionally filed a complaint with TAP online and included the picture of where the bag is in the terminal.

I would like to call TAP and speak to someone that might be able to assist with this, I can literally guide them to exactly where the luggage is but every # I call goes to a Portuguese language message and hangs up on me after 7 seconds or so.

Can anybody assist with this and provide me a # that should work and I can maybe make some progress on this quickly? I would truly appreciate it.

I have a bit of a time issue with this as I have a majority of my clothes and toiletries in the checked bag. I am also only going to be in Marrakech until Saturday and then I move onto Paris. I’m worried that TAP will find the bag and deliver it to Marrakech after I’ve left.

Again any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit - It's now been almost 48 hours and the baggage tracer site still says tracing is in progress and to check back later. My luggage hasn't moved at all in the past 2 days as per the AirTag. The AirTag is also set to the Lost Mode so that everyone with an iPhone that comes into contact with it is getting a message that's it's lost. I've even named the bag it's tracker # and description to make it even easier to find and still nothing. At least a dozen times someone has walked past it.

I feel like I’m going crazy here, they don’t answer emails, complaint forms, phone calls, tweets or DMs. I’ve tweeted at them multiple times now too and I see them answer other people but not me.

fifty_two Jul 21, 2022 8:28 am

As you might know airports in europe are like hell now . so getting anxious or overthink will not help , only thing you can say is to wait and ensure you filled-in all details correctly in world tracer

Whatever flight attendant tell you is basically "baby sitting" , as she/he doesnt have power to influence such topic

This summer , if you absolutely need the content of your luggage , either take it as hand luggage or send it by postmail

If after some time they cant find your luggage they will need to pay you a certain amount of money

about EU EC/261 , you need to check but be ready for TAP playing dumb and not respecting the law , so i suggest to find a 3rd party company to handle such matter and will not waste your brain with them

siege101 Jul 21, 2022 8:47 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 34445188)
As you might know airports in europe are like hell now . so getting anxious or overthink will not help , only thing you can say is to wait and ensure you filled-in all details correctly in world tracer

Whatever flight attendant tell you is basically "baby sitting" , as she/he doesnt have power to influence such topic

This summer , if you absolutely need the content of your luggage , either take it as hand luggage or send it by postmail

If after some time they cant find your luggage they will need to pay you a certain amount of money

about EU EC/261 , you need to check but be ready for TAP playing dumb and not respecting the law , so i suggest to find a 3rd party company to handle such matter and will not waste your brain with them

The thing is, the luggage is just sort of lost, I know exactly where it is. I simply can not reach anybody, nobody answers anything. If I could talk to someone that could maybe help I can literally guide them to the luggage. It's very frustrating because I see TAP's twitter account answering other people with missing luggage issues but they don't answer me.

I now the bag has been moved to slightly different spot in Lisbon Airport. It's infuriating knowing where it is, that my belongings are right there but no one will help.

36902BRF Jul 21, 2022 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by siege101 (Post 34445234)
The thing is, the luggage is just sort of lost, I know exactly where it is. I simply can not reach anybody, nobody answers anything. If I could talk to someone that could maybe help I can literally guide them to the luggage. It's very frustrating because I see TAP's twitter account answering other people with missing luggage issues but they don't answer me.

I now the bag has been moved to slightly different spot in Lisbon Airport. It's infuriating knowing where it is, that my belongings are right there but no one will help.

Welcome to TAP. It is a fine airline if nothing goes wrong but once it does good luck. I wish I could offer you more sage advice.

siege101 Jul 22, 2022 3:23 am

Is there any executive email, any unlisted phone number, anything at all that could help me with this? I thought their Twitter account might actually be helpful, they answer other people but not me, I tweet at them and DM them and they don’t answer.

3 days now and the “lost” luggage is still in the same spot at Lisbon Airport.

fifty_two Jul 22, 2022 3:38 am

The thing is, the luggage is just sort of lost, I know exactly where it is....
I now the bag has been moved to slightly different spot in Lisbon Airport.

In case of luggage lost in transit , there is nothing much you can do , cause your luggage is one amongst hundreds there

I simply can not reach anybody, nobody answers anything. If I could talk to someone that could maybe help I can literally guide them to the luggage. It's very frustrating because I see TAP's twitter account answering other people with missing luggage issues but they don't answer me.

Depends what kind of answer , i 100% agree with 36902BRF but in the end what you need is your luggage , not nice words from TAP

You did well by using an airtag , now just wait and it will be delivered , even if you ping the CEO , it wont change anything and wont speedup the process

siege101 Jul 22, 2022 4:04 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 34447542)
In case of luggage lost in transit , there is nothing much you can do , cause your luggage is one amongst hundreds there

Depends what kind of answer , i 100% agree with 36902BRF but in the end what you need is your luggage , not nice words from TAP

You did well by using an airtag , now just wait and it will be delivered , even if you ping the CEO , it wont change anything and wont speedup the process

What would happen if I go to Lisbon Airport myself and speak to someone directly at their Lost Baggage counter?

fifty_two Jul 22, 2022 4:42 am

Originally Posted by siege101 (Post 34447583)
What would happen if I go to Lisbon Airport myself and speak to someone directly at their Lost Baggage counter?

If you have time and money to spend for that , then feel free to give a try , i read stories about a guy who did the same in the UK and he got what he wanted

The lost luggage counter is most likely located airside , which means you would need to arrive by air and before exiting airport stop at the desk

then you have no confirmation they would allow you to do so or you would be able to get it , cause your luggage is in transit

If you are so desperate about the content of your luggage then you should have kept it as hand luggage in the first place

If it is worth more than a trip to LIS just for retrieving your luggage then next trip , you should send the content by postmail and buy insurance on it

corporate-wage-slave Jul 22, 2022 6:56 am

As a general point, there is rarely much you can do about lost luggage other than to ensure your Tracer contact details are up to date. It's probably in a big store area with thousands of other bags, and a group of workers slowly working their way through the pile, one bag at a time. It may take a week. You best just leave it, thousands of other travellers are in the same position. At 21 days you can claim the cost of the items since it can be deemed to be fully lost, even if in fact it's still in LIS.

TPJ Jul 22, 2022 7:19 am

Originally Posted by siege101 (Post 34447583)

Different airport but this gut was successful :D

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...ort/ar-AAZrbct

siege101 Jul 22, 2022 7:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 34447865)
As a general point, there is rarely much you can do about lost luggage other than to ensure your Tracer contact details are up to date. It's probably in a big store area with thousands of other bags, and a group of workers slowly working their way through the pile, one bag at a time. It may take a week. You best just leave it, thousands of other travellers are in the same position. At 21 days you can claim the cost of the items since it can be deemed to be fully lost, even if in fact it's still in LIS.

And I've run into yet another issue. On TAP's tracer site I'm unable to edit any of the details of my claim.

Edit - They have a Javascript error on their page and it won't load properly. Just great.

siege101 Jul 22, 2022 9:31 am

I also was able to Google Streetview the location where my bag is. Literally trailers right outside the terminal drop-off that say left luggage.

Maybe someone on here is flying to Lisbon and could grab a number to call for there, I bet there's a phone and office in there and that person can easily get my luggage.

siege101 Jul 22, 2022 11:06 am

I think I may have figured something out, maybe not. When I got off my original flight to Lisbon, they may have put my baggage onto the baggage carousels for me to pick up, despite me not having the time for that and me being told it would go to Marrakech.

So what happens to that luggage then? Does the airline come and collect it or does the airport?

The trailer I believe my bag is in, has the markings and style of font that Lisbon Airport uses.

https://goo.gl/maps/RLv2fTQsg3TC6H5t9

TAP would know this though right?

I know everyone keeps saying just be patient but I just can’t.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by siege101 (Post 34448676)
I know everyone keeps saying just be patient but I just can’t.

Why is that? If you had a letter in a big pile in the post office, and the post office was late delivering it, would you expect to sort through the piles of unsorted letters to find your missing item?

But yes, what would normally happen is that if a bag missed a flight, or wasn't properly relabelled, it could end up on the carousels, go around and round for a few hours, and then get put to the side of the carousel along with all the other bags that day. The next day that particular area of baggage reclaim would be removed since typically they can't store all bags there. That photo you had, if it's in that trailer right by the front entrance, is the airport's left luggage office and if your bag is in there it won't take long to recover your bag. It suggests that TAP or ANA decided you had forgotten your bag and hasn't added it in to the trip you actually took on to Morrocco. At some point the bag would be checked and ANA the airport authority would take it back to TAP for them to send to the Tracer address. The other outcome is that it goes to a warehouse off site for processing. Now a bit of caution, these air tags are good, but what if the bag is near there but actually airside?

siege101 Jul 23, 2022 7:03 am

TAP continues to show their incompetence, my bag is in Marrakech now. Unfortunately I’m in Paris now. In their World Tracer it’s clear as day, the Marrakech address was only valid until yesterday. I couldn’t update a new one because their site is broken however at that point I should have been contacted or they should have sent back to my home in New York.