TAP Lost Checked Bag - Need Phone #

Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't know if it is the same for you, but sometimes on the BA version of WorldTracer it works better in Incognito mode with any cookie blocker (etc) switched off. But at some point if you don't get any further you will need to call TAP and get the baggage information updated. The UK number is (+44) 345 350 0100. You could also Follow and then Direct Message on Twitter, by the looks of it they do respond within 24 hours.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't know if it is the same for you, but sometimes on the BA version of WorldTracer it works better in Incognito mode with any cookie blocker (etc) switched off. But at some point if you don't get any further you will need to call TAP and get the baggage information updated. The UK number is (+44) 345 350 0100. You could also Follow and then Direct Message on Twitter, by the looks of it they do respond within 24 hours.
The problem with their WorldTracer site is there's a Javascript error, it doesn't work because of that, you can click edit for Contact Information and it works but when you click edit for Personal Details nothing happens because of the error.

I've also DM'd them and tweeted at them on Twitter a few days ago. It doesn't look live they've even read the DM and they definitely haven't responded to the tweet.

I'll give the UK number a try, I tried a Portuguese number given to me by their customer service and it only works Monday through Friday.
At this point, I would have been thrilled if my luggage had been sent to my house, at least then I have it back but they ignored the WorldTracer info that I wouldn't be in Marrakech anymore and sent it there.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:10 am
Original Poster

So far Ive racked up $100 in international calls and Ive gotten nowhere. Every single phone number a TAP representative has given me, doesnt work.

Ive tried to call their lost baggage line multiple times throughout the day and it says theyre closed and open from 9am to 6pm. Except Ive called them and they still dont pick up.

TAP told me I have to call Marrakech Airport and have them find the bag, so they can deal with it. After arguing thats their job and tried the number given. Doesnt work. The number on the airport site for lost and found luggage doesnt work either.

I found some emails for Swissport in Marrakech and tried them. I emailed their Lost & Found and their Customer Support. I actually got what I think is an actual response and that my complaint/information has been forwarded to the Station Manager, who will look into it and be in touch. I hope so.

Again, Id be frustrated if my bag was actually lost but I know where it is and its infuriating that you cant get someone to actually listen and help.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by siege101
So far Ive racked up $100 in international calls and Ive gotten nowhere. Every single phone number a TAP representative has given me, doesnt work.
I may have mentioned that in post 9 above. It's TAP's job to re-unite you with your bag, otherwise at day 21 they become liable to pay for a replacement. I really doubt this work is doing much good, but if you are keen to pursue the issue, then at least get Skype or similar VOIP installed on your phone. You are unlikely to recover that $100 and Skype's service is usually a small fraction of other calls.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I may have mentioned that in post 9 above. It's TAP's job to re-unite you with your bag, otherwise at day 21 they become liable to pay for a replacement. I really doubt this work is doing much good, but if you are keen to pursue the issue, then at least get Skype or similar VOIP installed on your phone. You are unlikely to recover that $100 and Skype's service is usually a small fraction of other calls.
I am not familiar with the call rates outside the US but I have found Google Voice about 30% cheaper than Skype. I don't use it all that much but have found it very handy and affordable when calling airlines with their main call center well outside the US {like QR, TK, etc)..
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I'm worried that at Day 21 they'll stop looking for it. I would much rather have my bag and it's contents than their reimbursement. And you might be right this work I'm doing isn't much good but that's just how I am, I can't sit here and hope everything works out, especially reading horror story after horror story. If I had any actual communication from TAP it would certainly help the situation.

And TAP representatives have twice now told me it's my responsibility to call Marrakech Airport and have them look for the bag, so once they locate they can inform TAP. I'm surprised TAP didn't say I needed to fly their myself and search through the bags and then walk it back home.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I am not familiar with the call rates outside the US but I have found Google Voice about 30% cheaper than Skype. I don't use it all that much but have found it very handy and affordable when calling airlines with their main call center well outside the US {like QR, TK, etc)..
I'll have to look into Google Voice then. Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Just when I got my hopes up and I thought the situation had been resolved, TAP ....s it up again.

I emailed Swissport at Marrakech Airport and within hours of my email, they located my bag and had it back on a TAP flight to Lisbon. Great job, seriously, by Swissport, answered emails quickly and did their job. But then TAP just had to be the horrible airline they are and instead of loading my bag onto their flight for EWR, which the bag was 5 hours early for, instead it sits somewhere in Lisbon Airport again. Who knows for how long this time? I can tell you one thing, I'll never fly them again. I've never dealt with a company with worse customer service.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I believe TAP uses groundforce...
https://www.groundforce.pt/en/contacts
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
I believe TAP uses groundforce...
https://www.groundforce.pt/en/contacts
At Lisbon Airport yes, in Marrakech its Swissport.

If my bag isnt on a flight back to the US today I will be emailing every Groundforce email I can find.

TAP has mishandled my bag now 3 times in a week. Pure garbage.

Edit - And it looks like its back at the lost baggage office in Lisbon Airport. Last time it spent 4 days there and then they sent it to the wrong location.

Last edited by siege101; Jul 27, 2022 at 1:49 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:58 am

.Edit - And it looks like its back at the lost baggage office in Lisbon Airport. Last time it spent 4 days there and then they sent it to the wrong location.
Yes, but had you put your USA address in first time around and just left it, you would have had it by now? Micro-managing isn't a good tactic, it's not a rapid process, it's more batch than real time.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Yes, but had you put your USA address in first time around and just left it, you would have had it by now? Micro-managing isn't a good tactic, it's not a rapid process, it's more batch than real time.
My home address was entered into the World Tracer when I made my report, as was my temporary address in Marrakech, which was marked good until the 22nd. They shipped my bag there on the 23rd.

The World Tracer now shows that my bag should have been put on last evenings flight from Lisbon to EWR but they failed at that.

Im as aggressive as I am with this because TAP has engendered zero trust in them to handle this properly.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:26 am

My home address was entered into the World Tracer when I made my report, as was my temporary address in Marrakech, which was marked good until the 22nd. They shipped my bag there on the 23rd.
The point that I'm perhaps not successfully making is that this is quite a slow batch process. There isn't much point putting the RAK address in since the window of return was way too short. If you consider it will take a week, 10 days to be returned, it's best to just and only put a reliable address that will apply in one week, two weeks, not a couple of days. Now if WordTracer was working properly for you then in theory you could keep updating the address with your travels but as you have seen that comes with some risks. Your bag isn't like a human, being swiftly moved from place to place, but more like a parcel slowly finding its way to you. So it's about striking a balance here rather than feeling you need to mother every stage of it. From what you are saying I suspect you are a few days off getting the bag to the States and then a few more days until delivery.
36902BRF and fifty_two like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Well it looks like TAP finally located the bag, now lets see where it ends up. I'm very nervous that it's just gonna wind up back in Marrakech again and they'll think they did their job. On the World Tracer site it says delivery process initiated and I can't edit any details anymore. The routing information still shows a flight to EWR from 3 days ago though. I have zero faith they'll do this right and I'm expecting a phone call from the hotel I stayed at in Marrakech.

Edit - And as soon as tracked it moving towards the tarmac at Lisbon Airport, it's back under the airport somewhere. Great.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:47 am
Original Poster

TAP did finally deliver my bag, 11 days after first losing it.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)
Lucky you, I experienced quite the same thing.
1) luggage not loaded at LIS
2) delivered the following day at ORY
3) Left the airport one hour later (I could follow it with my AirTag)
4) Impossible to talk to an human being except at the handler's.

Finally the handler admitted that the luggage was stolen and that providing the inventory to help finding it was useless since it was not in an airport anymore.
So after 21 days I claimed a compensation and TAP responded that since I did not provide the inventory I did not help them to find the luggage so I'm no eligible to any compensation. No answer to my emails since then.

Extra bonus : I filed a complaint with the police stating that I could locate the luggage and they just told me to call the nearest police station to where the suitcase was located and ask them if they would be willing to accompany me to get it back. Again there was no follow-up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.