TP won't reroute cancelled flight?

Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
TP won't reroute cancelled flight?

So our 5:55am flight from MXP to LIS got cancelled. We were meant to connect in LIS for 2 hours before our next flight to TFS. The first flight was cancelled the night before at around 6pm and we didn't get any notification. I only found out about it around midnight when I received an email inviting me to check in for a flight to TFS a day after my original flight. I put in my booking reference on TP website only to discover that they had automatically rebooked me for the same flights 24 hours later, meaning my trip to TFS had been shortened by a full day. Of course at that point there was nothing I could do as TP call centre had closed. What kind of airline doesn't have a 24 hour contact centre! I went to MXP at 4am as I was hoping someone would be there to assist and there really was someone at TP check in counters. The guy there would only rebook me on the next available TP flight but refused to look at other airlines even though there was availabe seats on LH and LX via FRA and ZRH respectively that would get us to TFS the same day but he outright refused. In the end we decided to take the next available which was later that night to LIS hoping to at least get to TP's service desk as the home carrier. When we got to LIS, their service desk had closed (11pm). We headed back there the next morning hoping to at least change our return flight by a day or 2 so we would have more time in TFS. But the next available return flight was not until 4 days later and they again said that they do not book other airlines. In the end, I did go to TFS but my holiday was shortened by 1 full day. If we had the chance to change the return at MXP we may have been able to find a suitable return flight but sadly nothing could be done until we got to LIS.

So my question for you TP regulars: does TP not rebook or rerount flights on their Star partners or any other airlines in case of flight cancellations as their policy? I felt like I was travelling on Ryanair or Easyjet.

And of course if you are departing from one of their outstations and your flight is delayed or cancelled, you are basically screwed. Don't expect to get any sort of service. Their outstation staff are only authorised to tough their flights to LIS. That's it. Unless you can get to their call centre which closes at midnight, by the time you get to LIS to seek help, it would have been too late.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:31 am

Yes, this is normal and actually still better than what Tap sometimes does. Screw them. They ignore the law, don't rebook you on the next alternative, don't offer any compensation or customer service.

The best is that their CEO could not care less. She is just in Brazil celebrating one additional weekly flight to OPO while the airline gets worse and worse.
The already poor Portuguese tax payer pumped billions into this crap airline, each inhabitant actually paid an equivilant of a business class flight just to keep them alive. No wonder that David Neeleman ran away as fast as he could.

Meanwhile Portuguese politicians of the same party and government fight over the next location of LIS airport. This airline and country is just a joke.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Wow, I didn't expect such harsh criticism towards TP and the country. Now I worry about the prospect of claiming 600 EUR under EC 261 which I am sure I am entitled to.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Wow, I didn't expect such harsh criticism towards TP and the country. Now I worry about the prospect of claiming 600 EUR under EC 261 which I am sure I am entitled to.
I would suggest to manage your expectations.

While in the air (and usually on the ground) TP is a perfectly fine airline, their follow-up on anything else is unacceptable. Period.

I am owed 600 euros x 2 since from last year and while I received an initial offer of cash, travel voucher or Star Alliance frequent flyer miles for the first cancellation, when I replied with the cash acceptance I never heard back. Ever again.

I have followed up regularly every 90 days and no one responds.

The new CEO appears to be clueless about the service failures and ground staff are unable to problem solve.

When my flights were cancelled from both ex-HAM and ex-ZRH, there were alternate airports I could have reached same-day to make my connection but their agents refused to do anything. My agency even reference Star Alliance reprotection guidelines which were simply dismissed.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:22 am

Tap just ignores anything, laws, alliance guidelines, customers.

I first thought that the CEO was brought there to dissolve the company or transform it to a pure ACMI business similar to Flybe or Cityjet or Anko at SAS with his next chapter 11.

Probably with such an experience it is just wise to travel and enjoy as much as possible for any reason as it can stop at any time especially if you recognize there is nothing to save anymore.

I am now even willing to pay more to fly Ryanair because they care more about you in an IRREG event than Tap. I would have lost a lot of money betting on that a couple years back in time.

Last edited by estrela; Jul 17, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel

While in the air (and usually on the ground) TP is a perfectly fine airline, their follow-up on anything else is unacceptable. Period.
This I think perfectly sums up my experiences with TAP. I have flown them a few times on cheap J tickets and I find their in the air and ground service mostly fine especially for what I am paying but when something goes wrong they are mostly useless. I had some refundable tickets booked the summer of 2020 that I cancelled proactively when COVID hit. They were per the terms on the tickets refundable back to cash (I had screenshots), I even put in the request for a refund on the last day you could request cash refunds on the TAP website. I waited two weeks and then immediately filed a chargeback with my CC company. Thankfully TAPs incompetence worked in my favor here and they never responded to the chargeback so I got a full refund from my CC company.

To OPs point I had a very similar experience this year. I was flying from North America via LIS to another European city. I monitored my booking regularly, checked in online 24 hours before but when I got to the airport in the US the agent told me your connecting flight has been cancelled you will need to deal with it in Lisbon. TAP had done nothing proactive, not even notified me. I get to the lounge and call their number. Get a really nice lady who without asking booked me on another airline to get me to my destination. I was actually pleasantly surprised and thought maybe I had misjudged TAP. So I go about my business for a while and decided (not sure why) I better check that booking and it showed cancelled. So I call in again and get a different agent who said all I can do is book you on a later TAP flight (which was many hours later). She refused to even acknowledge I had been booked on another airline or explain why it had been cancelled. Again there was no notification on any of this. Still waiting on my EC261 claim (and I am not holding my breath).
boss315 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:01 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by PointWeasel

I am owed 600 euros x 2 since from last year and while I received an initial offer of cash, travel voucher or Star Alliance frequent flyer miles for the first cancellation, when I replied with the cash acceptance I never heard back. Ever again.

I have followed up regularly every 90 days and no one responds.

The new CEO appears to be clueless about the service failures and ground staff are unable to problem solve.

When my flights were cancelled from both ex-HAM and ex-ZRH, there were alternate airports I could have reached same-day to make my connection but their agents refused to do anything. My agency even reference Star Alliance reprotection guidelines which were simply dismissed.
Why havent you filed a legal claim?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:45 am

Ex Germany this works. TP even now ignores DOT complaints and the spanish and portuguese regulatory bodies are completely useless. A process financing company could be also worth a try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.