Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Didifficulties with wheelchair assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

On Monday I flew TP 262 (YYZ - LIS) and had difficulties with wheelchair assistance at both airports. At Toronto I was eventually taken to the AC lounge (I was in Business class) and had difficulty getting a TAP subcontractor to get me to the gate as "none were available". After a great flight to LIS, it took 2 hours to deplane about 8 folks who needed wheelchair assistance. We were bussed to the terminal then had to wait on the bus for wheelchairs. Then we had to wait for folks to push us in the wheelchairs. Just before passport control, we waited for about 30 minutes. Then a supervisor pushed one fellow to passport control and another supervisor pushed me thru - up to baggage reclaim. Then she got a baggage cart for me and I was off to my Uber ride pushing my cart.

The entire process took about 3 hours - and I don't know how long the other 6 people were left in wheelchairs before passport control. I will see what happens when I fly LIS -YYZ in July with BA (to maintain my BAEC status)
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
In other parts of the world, you seldom see wheelchair pax at airports, but in North America, it seems that every time I enter the jetbridge after a flight, there are like twenty wheelchairs waiting for pax.

My guess here is you experienced TAP's way to discourage pax from requesting those wheelchairs, as it is expensive for the airline. Just like some airlines tend to make their special meals as terrible as possible, so pax won't order them again.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
In other parts of the world, you seldom see wheelchair pax at airports, but in North America, it seems that every time I enter the jetbridge after a flight, there are like twenty wheelchairs waiting for pax.

My guess here is you experienced TAP's way to discourage pax from requesting those wheelchairs, as it is expensive for the airline. Just like some airlines tend to make their special meals as terrible as possible, so pax won't order them again.
Look at me last sentence. I have the option of flying with a different airline.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
Look at me last sentence. I have the option of flying with a different airline.
I suppose that is what TAP hopes you will do.

It all boils down to those pax who order a wheelchair just for "fun", to bypass immigration queues etc. They do a huge disservice to folks who really need that wheelchair.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I suppose that is what TAP hopes you will do.

It all boils down to those pax who order a wheelchair just for "fun", to bypass immigration queues etc. They do a huge disservice to folks who really need that wheelchair.
In our/my case it took TAP almost 2 hours to deplane us - then there was a wait for wheelchairs @ the terminal, and then a wait on the next floor after we qued 2 by 2 into the elevator. Seems like your 2nd-last sentence makes no sense at all.

I wonder if it is just a cost factor and TAP not willing to pay for this so-called service for "handicapped" pax.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
I wonder if it is just a cost factor and TAP not willing to pay for this so-called service for "handicapped" pax.
This is exactly what I believe it's all about. So the way for TAP to handle this would be to make the "wheelchair experience" as miserable and slow as possible, discouraging pax from booking that wheelchair unless they really cannot cope without one.

The usual wheelchair process (on many airlines) is very swift, which might encourage pax to book a wheelchair only because that way they can whisk through all the formalities, bypassing perhaps hundreds of pax standing in immigration and customs queues. Apparently, your experience with TAP was very very different.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:58 am
Original Poster

This is exactly what I believe it's all about. So the way for TAP to handle this would be to make the "wheelchair experience" as miserable and slow as possible, discouraging pax from booking that wheelchair unless they really cannot cope without one.

The usual wheelchair process (on many airlines) is very swift, which might encourage pax to book a wheelchair only because that way they can whisk through all the formalities, bypassing perhaps hundreds of pax standing in immigration and customs queues. Apparently, your experience with TAP was very very different.
On July 25th I have booked a series of flights LIS - YYZ via LHR/LGW and JFK/LGA. I will see what happens at those airports.

Tomorrow, here in Portugal I see my orthopedic surgeon about my slow, but steady, recovery.

Last edited by tmac100; Jun 26, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.