Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon layover 1:50 - too short?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by gretchendz
We are flying ORD-LIS-ZRH in early October. Would love to continue from others how well the E-gate system is working
Just came thru LIS this past weekend and used the e-gates on the far left side of passport control (there is a newish small sign displaying both the Canada/USA flags) and I was thru in less than 3 mins. The only challenge is the clueless users ahead of you that do not know how to place their passport info page down firmly on the glass and hold it for a few seconds and then the people that leave their face masks and ballcaps on for the camera.

The regular passport line had a few hundred people in at around 720 am local time when we arrived, so I was happy to use the e-gates again this time.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Just came thru LIS this past weekend and used the e-gates on the far left side of passport control (there is a newish small sign displaying both the Canada/USA flags) and I was thru in less than 3 mins. The only challenge is the clueless users ahead of you that do not know how to place their passport info page down firmly on the glass and hold it for a few seconds and then the people that leave their face masks and ballcaps on for the camera.

The regular passport line had a few hundred people in at around 720 am local time when we arrived, so I was happy to use the e-gates again this time.
Thanks for the info. I'll be traveling from IAD-LIS soon and doing a 14 day trip in the EU countries. Do they stamp your passport after going through the e-gate?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by faroooq
Do they stamp your passport after going through the e-gate?
Yes.

After you clear the e-gates, there is rather disinterested Portugal SEF officer who flips thru the passport for an empty spot to stamp.

Not one word was uttered and its been like that each time so far.
faroooq likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:12 pm

Just came thru LIS this past weekend and used the e-gates on the far left side of passport control (there is a newish small sign displaying both the Canada/USA flags) and I was thru in less than 3 mins.
Were you entering LIS from US/Canada (and doing a US/Canada-LIS-Schengen transit)?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Were you entering LIS from US/Canada (and doing a US/Canada-LIS-Schengen transit)?
You are overthinking the issue.

It does not matter where your flight arrives from, it matters more which passport you hold.

Any US or Canadian passport holder with a biometric passport is now able to use the e-gates that were previously only available to European passport holders with a biometric passport.

Upon landing, if you are lucky enough to get a gate you simply proceed to passport control and the e-gates with the flags of the permitted use passports are displayed at the start of the line. If you are unlucky and get a remote stand, the bus will arrive right below passport control and the exact same e-gates are there. LIS is not a huge sprawling airport, there is only one passport control for arrivals/departures which is part of the bottleneck mess at peak times.

As others have already mentioned, once you have exited e-gates and have your passport quickly stamped, you will see the security lanes that to enter the Schengen Zone gates area. This is the second potential bottleneck area, but when I passed by at 720 am roughly it was quite empty which surprised me.

Bottom line: for US/Canada passport holders with biometric passports that are arriving from non-Schengen destinations, the use of e-gates makes things much, much less stressful and exhausting. A connection time of 45 mins could be possible, but I like the 90 mins just in case.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:26 pm

duplicate
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:28 pm

You are overthinking the issue.

It does not matter where your flight arrives from, it matters more which passport you hold.
I was not overthinking anything. I was just asking for a clarification because the post did not specify the direction of travel (to or from US/Canada). If the answer is "it doesn't matter", great, so be it.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
I have a 4-hour layover in Lisbon. Flying business, JFK - LIS - BIO. Being a Spanish citizen, do I have enough time to maybe get to the city center and enjoy it for a couple of hours? I saw it is only a 20 minute metro ride to the city center and I would prefer to enjoy a Saturday lunch in Lisbon rather than waiting on the lounge...
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you arrive on time and can use the e-gates then I think you would have potentially 60 to 90 minutes in the city centre if you chose your location carefully.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by sodaisei
I have a 4-hour layover in Lisbon. Flying business, JFK - LIS - BIO. Being a Spanish citizen, do I have enough time to maybe get to the city center and enjoy it for a couple of hours? I saw it is only a 20 minute metro ride to the city center and I would prefer to enjoy a Saturday lunch in Lisbon rather than waiting on the lounge...
If you arrive on time you have a couple of hours. You can be out of the airport 30 minutes after touchdown. Another 15-20 min (use uber) and you can be in a nice neighborhood for lunch. I would avoid the metro as it takes a long-ish detour. You want to head back around 80-90 mins before your flight, to be there at 45-60 mins before your flight. Go through security and to the gate.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Palal
If you arrive on time you have a couple of hours. You can be out of the airport 30 minutes after touchdown. Another 15-20 min (use uber) and you can be in a nice neighborhood for lunch. I would avoid the metro as it takes a long-ish detour. You want to head back around 80-90 mins before your flight, to be there at 45-60 mins before your flight. Go through security and to the gate.
Thank you! I will try to use Uber then!
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:03 am

VIE-LIS arriving at 16:05
LIS-GRU departing at 17:05

Isn't that rather...risky? They are selling this, but isn't there a big risk of 600€ compensation claims for them? Looking at recent flights, the VIE flight usually has a 15-45min delay, while the GRU flight departs with 20-30minute delay. So even less than 1h on average...

Am I missing something?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think you are missing much. It is do-able, particularly if the traveller can use the e-gates to exit Schengen. The walking distance may not be far and even a 15 minute delay is not necessarily Game Over. But it's a lot riskier than a 2 hour connection and things like bus disembarkation can really slow things down. I wouldn't count your EC261 gains, TAP hasn't got a great reputation for easy payment and bad weather can cause many delays in any event. It's more likely you'll just arrive late into GRU.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:12 am

Given that those delays seem to be almost on a daily basis, it seems to just be operational deficencies/delays and not based on weather, so I don't think they would be able to weasel themselves out of the claim. I have also had successful claims against them in the past, so that I am not worried about.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
17:05 departure does not mean that the flight will depart at 17:05

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.