Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Portugal Now Recognises Vaccination Certificates Issued by Third Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I have a trip coming up to Lisbon from New York. It is unclear to me if a COVID test is required for passengers who are fully vaccinated. Does Portugal recognize CDC card for entry? Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by woodtravel
I have a trip coming up to Lisbon from New York. It is unclear to me if a COVID test is required for passengers who are fully vaccinated. Does Portugal recognize CDC card for entry? Thanks!
The last time I checked (last week), vaccinated & non-vaccinated Americans are allowed to enter with a negative covid test (72hr for PCR/48hr for antigen). Fully vaccinated guests are exempt from quarantine.
So yes, you still need a fresh test.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by woodtravel
my understanding fully vax no longer needs covid test
  • Passengers presenting a valid recovery/vaccination certificate issued by a third country (see: acceptance conditions for third country certificates)

but at the same time they don’t offer info on third country info… only UK. Info was just updated on October 14
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Timanic defines third countries (emphasis mine), unfortunately the US is not in the list

.Passengers entering or transiting through Portugal must have:
- a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken at most 48 hours before
departure from the first embarkation point; or
- a negative COVID-19 NAAT, PCR or RT-PCR test taken at most 72 hours
before departure from the first embarkation point; or
- an EU Digital Covid Certif�cate (EU DCC); or
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully
vaccinated at least 14 days before arrival and issued in Albania,
Andorra, Faroe Isl., Israel, Monaco, Morocco, North Macedonia (Rep.),
Panama, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine or Vatican City (Holy
See).
Vaccines accepted are: AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna
(Spikevax) and Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty); or
- a positive COVID-19 test result and a recovery certificate.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SCChris
Timanic defines third countries (emphasis mine), unfortunately the US is not in the list

.Passengers entering or transiting through Portugal must have:
- a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken at most 48 hours before
departure from the first embarkation point; or
- a negative COVID-19 NAAT, PCR or RT-PCR test taken at most 72 hours
before departure from the first embarkation point; or
- an EU Digital Covid Certif�cate (EU DCC); or
- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully
vaccinated at least 14 days before arrival and issued in Albania,
Andorra, Faroe Isl., Israel, Monaco, Morocco, North Macedonia (Rep.),
Panama, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine or Vatican City (Holy
See).
Vaccines accepted are: AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna
(Spikevax) and Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty); or
- a positive COVID-19 test result and a recovery certificate.
Funny to see that the vaccination certificate of Albania is accepted but the American one is not. Geopolitics and world diplomacy have hilarious consequences sometimes.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Acceptance of vax cards is on a reciprocal basis, so maybe CDC cards will be accepted after Nov 8.
I’m on my way to Portugal now. So far at both checkins (AA then Iberia) I had to show vax card and PLF but nobody was interested in my test results…
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
So here was my experience this week.
Dca checkin: needed to show CDC vax card, Spain and Portugal PLFs
JFK checkin: same
MAD arrival: PLF. They had a number of nurses on hand at this checkpoint, presumably to check anyone showing symptoms
OPO arrival: no checks at all, though paper PLFs were distributed in flight.

At no point was I asked for my test results. YMMV if flying directly to Portugal from outside Schengen or if flying to LIS.

Also: rapid COVID tests widely available for about 2 euros.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
My son is flying TAP 0259 (YYZ-LIS) tonight. He has an Ontario covid double vax certificate. Bcause TAP said he "should" be able to board, he cancelled his PCR test in Toronto, hoping to save some $$. Here is hoping... on his return to Canada on Nov 3rd he will get the required-by-Canada PCR test in Lisbon at a cost of 85 Euros and with results in 12 hours.

No for-sure info. Worse-case scenario is he will be forced to get an antigen test on arrival in LIS tomorrow.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by tmac100
My son is flying TAP 0259 (YYZ-LIS) tonight. He has an Ontario covid double vax certificate. Bcause TAP said he "should" be able to board, he cancelled his PCR test in Toronto, hoping to save some $$. Here is hoping... on his return to Canada on Nov 3rd he will get the required-by-Canada PCR test in Lisbon at a cost of 85 Euros and with results in 12 hours.

No for-sure info. Worse-case scenario is he will be forced to get an antigen test on arrival in LIS tomorrow.
How'd it work out for him? I'll be flying YUL-LIS next month and debating the need for a Covid test. Also double vaxxed in Ontario.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K (1st timer!)
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
How'd it work out for him? I'll be flying YUL-LIS next month and debating the need for a Covid test. Also double vaxxed in Ontario.
Second this! Travelling YYZ - LIS - MRS on TAP in late November and would love to skip to rapid antigen tests on the inbound and outbound legs. Everything I have read says we need to show our vaccination proof as well as a PCR within 72 hours or RA within 48 hours.
WesternCDN likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: Tap Miles & go Silver/ Aeroplan 25K
Also looking for this info...... I did the YYZ-LIs in Aug, and Sept. both times with the Antigen $40 test outbound, i'm flying out again later this week and I'm wondering if I need to spend the $40 again!
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:33 pm

I leave November 11 (next week)

I’ll take the antigen test and report back
Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K (1st timer!)
Keep us posted!

Originally Posted by Pilotbg
I leave November 11 (next week)

I’ll take the antigen test and report back
Definitely following this thread! Outbound YYZ - LIZ - MRS on Nov 26. Have Swiss COVID certificate now so ‘should’ be fine but….
Old Nov 2, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
According to Timeatic for Portugal:Fully vaccinated passengers, in possession of a vaccination certificate accepted by Portugal, are exempt from presenting a COVID-19 test result.

Important: Fully vaccinated passengers who are not in possession of a vaccination certificate accepted by Portugal are required to present a Negative COVID-19 test result under the conditions shown below.
Passengers must present proof of vaccination - The certificate/document may be requested at different points of the trip. They must present proof of vaccination that must comply with Portugal's requirements. Passengers must ensure they meet the requirements to be considered fully vaccinated previously described.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mmff
Funny to see that the vaccination certificate of Albania is accepted but the American one is not. Geopolitics and world diplomacy have hilarious consequences sometimes.
Albania adopted the EU standard for their COVID certificate (making the resulting QR code readable on EU apps) whereas the US showed no such inclination. Nothing to do with geopolitics.
useless likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.