Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does TAP weigh hand baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:01 pm

I will be flying from USA Chicago to LIS and return. ( Economy )
And one ticket from UK London to LIS and return ( Economy)

I am concern about the exact size of the carry on size 22x16x8
Are the wheels part of the 22" and is the thickness has to be 8" and not 9" or 9.5".
My carry on are like 9" thick so afraid they wont fit in the measuring box they used.
If that's the case then i need to get an 8" thick carry on.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 7:31 am

On a recent departure from BCN to LIS saw no weighing or size checking. As an added bonus scored a 321 in the long-haul configuration so had lie flat in J for a two hour flight which was a nice perk.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I've seen plenty of TAP staff walking the line in LIS with portable scales and checking hand baggage for weight and size.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:00 am

Boarding flight LIS to IAD. Observed no weighing or sizing.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:13 am

Recently flew TAP from YYZ to LIS. LIS to OPO, OPP to LIS. Then LIS to YYZ.

For flights within Portugal (ie. Between LIS and OPO), during boarding, they did check to make sure carry on luggage fit within the sizer (only luggage with wheels not duffle type bags). This did make a few people angry as they had to pay extra and check in their carry on I did not see carry on or personal items being weighed.

Prior to my trip I was worried about the limit as I did some research online and read many complaints, again mostly for flights within Portugal.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Just my experience recently. First time flying TAP - overall it was ok - flights were as pleasant as long haul can be. The recline is pretty good if you purchase the better seats. The food was ok though I don't think they came around enough with water/snacks. I would fly them again if the price was right. As far as passport lines - I lucked out! Both times going thru Lisbon my wait was a few minutes. They were weighing carry on luggage in Madrid (on way to Lisbon), but only for rollers. And in Madrid they were checking carry on rollers for size with a cardboard box. In Lisbon they were eye balling it.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:40 am

as I'm flying EWR-LIS-ORY on TAP in a few days, is the carry on limit 10kg, 8kg, or is it not consistant? If it's unclear, I'll probably just keep the carry on at about 16 pounds (under 8kg). Size is under their specs, so that's ok..
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by galeaoguy
as I'm flying EWR-LIS-ORY on TAP in a few days, is the carry on limit 10kg, 8kg, or is it not consistant? If it's unclear, I'll probably just keep the carry on at about 16 pounds (under 8kg). Size is under their specs, so that's ok..
10 kgs.
galeaoguy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
10 kgs.
Thank you..
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: All of them!
This past Thursday/Friday TAP BOS/LIS/SID they did not weigh hand baggage, but staff were around at LIS and made sure that such baggage would fit in A320 LIS/SID.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Boarding

Sorry for the side question but unfamiliar with flying with TAP. What determines if you are assigned boarding group A B or C? ​​​​​​My hand roller will probably be more than 10kg and just wondering if I should shell out money for A boarding and if that will avoid a potential weighing of luggage. I'm doing MAD to LIS and it looks like there is a scale and a cardboard box based on post above. Eeks. Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
You need priority boarding to make sure you avoid the weighing, and that only comes with a business class ticket or Star Alliance Gold status.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:26 pm

I am still surprise that the Carry on Depth they allow is 8 inches only and not the standard 9" or even 10" as other Airlines do.
But they allow (22" x 16") for being Tall and Wide which is more then enough.

Do they Strictly enforce 8" inch Depth on International flights like A330-neo and even A321..
All my carry on are 9 or 10 inches in depth and hard shell with Rollers.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Thanks for that. Then that prob makes an A group purchase probably useless.

Can I ask then does TAP weight it and if overweight help you check it in as a complimentary service to relieve on board congestion or do they demand payment for checking it in like a Spirit or Frontier?

And lastly does A B C boarding group assignment get determined by location ie back to front, window or aisle, or fare class?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by freshwater100
I am still surprise that the Carry on Depth they allow is 8 inches only and not the standard 9" or even 10" as other Airlines do.
But they allow (22" x 16") for being Tall and Wide which is more then enough.

Do they Strictly enforce 8" inch Depth on International flights like A330-neo and even A321..
All my carry on are 9 or 10 inches in depth and hard shell with Rollers.
yes the depth thing has me puzzled as well. I’ve looked everywhere for an 8 depth and the only carryon I can find in Canada are underseaters that will fit. I found a kids carryon that I may buy. When in Europe I may look around so this doesn’t happen again.
I fly in a couple weeks. I will report back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.