FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go-767/)
-   -   Denied boarding TAP Portugal -Any Rights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air-portugal-miles-go/2039529-denied-boarding-tap-portugal-any-rights.html)

chgoeditor May 6, 2021 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 33230667)
You were clearly at fault here, as others have said. But you will have learned a lot from this mistake.

To be denied entry to two countries in the span of 13 months doesn't seem to be a case of learning from mistakes. Maybe the third time's a charm.

Melissakayd1 May 6, 2021 2:22 pm

Timatic

Check it...recheck it.

vole2 May 6, 2021 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 33230667)
You were clearly at fault here, as others have said. But you will have learned a lot from this mistake. Travellling has become a total nightmare of bureaucracy that politicians are trying to justify by safety. The only thing you can be upset with with TAP is to not have a policy allowing to rebook fro free in that kind of circumstances and vote with your feet by never flying with them again. Some airline have a policy for this situation of not having the test on-time.
Question : did TAP inform you at any time of this requirement ? Because with AFKL, for instance, they send you several sms and emails with the requirement of the destination country and for transit in their hubs.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor (Post 33231296)
To be denied entry to two countries in the span of 13 months doesn't seem to be a case of learning from mistakes. Maybe the third time's a charm.

If I ever do get through to the other side and fly again I hope I do not sit next to a sanctimonious bore like you :)

IAN-UK May 6, 2021 4:31 pm

I'm sorry you didn't get the sympathy I think you expected from fellow Flyertalkers. Maybe it would have been better to contact your credit card provider for advice, rather than canvass the views of strangers.

If TAP didn't make explicit Lisbon's Covid-related airside transfer requirements, the bank might take the view that a charge-back is reasonable. The process isn't a legal judgement: payment is frozen until the merchant responds within a certain. Sometimes the response doesn't arrive, and the charge-back becomes reality.

The other path might be to eat humble pie and put your case to TP's customer service: they might offer you a voucher as a goodwill gesture. Very unlikely but worth trying.

FlyDeltaMD88 May 6, 2021 8:10 pm

You will most likely not get any money for your out of pocket costs. That being said, you should get a full refund of the TAP fares, anything else would be theft. If they refuse, definitely file a chargeback with your credit card.

the810 May 7, 2021 6:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir (Post 33232337)
You will most likely not get any money for your out of pocket costs. That being said, you should get a full refund of the TAP fares, anything else would be theft. If they refuse, definitely file a chargeback with your credit card.

Why would it be a theft? Denied boarding due to lack of the required travel documents is a normal procedure that have been occuring on daily basis for decades and never constituted a basis for a refund.

If that was the case, anyone holding a non-refundable ticket would be able to arrive at the airport, claim they don't have a passport and get a refund.

SK AAR May 7, 2021 7:51 am

I second this; I fail to see why the OP should be entitled to get a refund. TP may decide to do it as a goodwill gesture, but there is no right to a refund.

Also would it not be considered as "no-show" if the OP didn't meet the requirements for traveling and declined to rebook the flights to later? - i.e. no-show fee would have to be paid before any rebooking or refund can be done? (depending on the fare rules obviously)

SK AAR May 20, 2021 9:06 am

I know it is not of any use to the OP, but this thread made me aware of the PCR test requirements for transit at LIS and that they also apply to children older than 2 years (whereas for other countries children are exempt until 6/12/15 years).

An immidiate family member with family will be traveling with TP to Gran Canaria via LIS early next month and I'm quite certain that they would made the same assumptions as the OP, i.e. that quick test/antigen test is sufficient and that children do not have to show a negativ Corona test.

I will of course inform them accordingly now so hopefully they will be able to travel without issues; but I'm so grateful that I actually took the time to read this thread.