Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing an iMac as hand luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Bringing an iMac as hand luggage?

I'll be flying TAP home this month (intra EU) and want to bring my iMac 21,5inch along. I brought it with me on BA (dimensions were within limits), but just found out TAP has slightly different maximum sizes when it comes to hand luggage. The height of an iMac is roughly 45cm while TAP allows 40 cm. I could saw (ouch) the stand off the screen and it would fit. Or I could show up at the airport and cross my fingers. I though that was the smartest plan, until I noticed the aircraft changed from A320 to an Embrear 190.

What would you guys do? Buy a saw and take away the stand of your one year old iMac? Turn up at gate, hoping it's an empty flight/friendly gate agents? Turn up at the gate with a creditcard to pay excess fees? If I would fly Ryanair or so, I'd be prepared to shell out. But with TAP, I never know wether they are a budget or full service airline...
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
I'll be flying TAP home this month (intra EU) and want to bring my iMac 21,5inch along. I brought it with me on BA (dimensions were within limits), but just found out TAP has slightly different maximum sizes when it comes to hand luggage. The height of an iMac is roughly 45cm while TAP allows 40 cm. I could saw (ouch) the stand off the screen and it would fit. Or I could show up at the airport and cross my fingers. I though that was the smartest plan, until I noticed the aircraft changed from A320 to an Embrear 190.

What would you guys do? Buy a saw and take away the stand of your one year old iMac? Turn up at gate, hoping it's an empty flight/friendly gate agents? Turn up at the gate with a creditcard to pay excess fees? If I would fly Ryanair or so, I'd be prepared to shell out. But with TAP, I never know wether they are a budget or full service airline...
I've never had problems with cabin baggage on TP: there again I've never been excessively in excess. I wouldn't see your extra 5cm as over the top, but who knows? I'd be more worried that security could be having a bad day and ask you to turn the "computer" on .

You're *A so you can use business-class check-in. Maybe agents at that desk are programmed to offer a tad more flexibility: but again, who knows? At the gate your should get red-carpeted on board keeping you immune from size-checks.

All that's looking on the bright side. Of course, the only 100% no-cost solution is to pack the monitor securely and check it in: layers and layers of bubble-wrap should do it. As far as I know, Goldies still get a bag checked even on cheapo fares.
Travel-Quinten likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've never had problems with cabin baggage on TP: there again I've never been excessively in excess. I wouldn't see your extra 5cm as over the top, but who knows? I'd be more worried that security could be having a bad day and ask you to turn the "computer" on .

You're *A so you can use business-class check-in. Maybe agents at that desk are programmed to offer a tad more flexibility: but again, who knows? At the gate your should get red-carpeted on board keeping you immune from size-checks.

All that's looking on the bright side. Of course, the only 100% no-cost solution is to pack the monitor securely and check it in: layers and layers of bubble-wrap should do it. As far as I know, Goldies still get a bag checked even on cheapo fares.
Thanks! I may go for the suitcase option - as I have a hard case Rimowa and shops on Madeira have plenty of bubble wrap on sale.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten

Probably too late now but you can remove the stand:

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stand-from-an-iMac
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Probably too late now but you can remove the stand:

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stand-from-an-iMac
Thanks for your thoughts! I found that information also, but that only applies to the larger and older screens, not to the current 21,5 iMac. In the end, I cancelled TAP and booked easyJet. The screen is within the limits that easyJet allows. Problem solved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.