Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Booking a LIS stopover in business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE

I was trying to book a stopover in LIS in business class and it seems that you can only do this in economy if you try this on the TP website.

Is there some trick to doing this in business class or do I need to call their reservations center?

I did some searches in this forum and did not find this covered in other threads. My apologies if it has already been discussed and I missed it.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: https://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/jon.stubberfield
Stopover on the way to where? I can have a look for you and see what's going on if you like, I've got a GDS.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Stubberfield
Stopover on the way to where? I can have a look for you and see what's going on if you like, I've got a GDS.
I was looking at booking TP in business from ORD to TLV. On the return leg, the connection at LIS is 85 minutes. I don't like to book international connections < 2 hours as a personal rule and saw the booking a connection in LIS on the TP main page. So I tried to do a 2 day stopover in LIS on the return leg. Unfortunately, all I can do is books in Y.

This was in the context of researching a trip for early 2022 which I know I cannot book now.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:51 pm

Very sensible to avoid the short connection, I like that... plus check out Lisbon.

It's definitely possible, I just used November arbitrarily to check, you thinking something like this;

1 . TP 242 Z 07NOV ORDLIS HS1 1555 #0540 O E SU/MO 1
2 . TP 1603 Z 08NOV LISTLV HS1 1430 2140 O E MO 1
3 . TP 1604 J 14NOV TLVLIS HS1 0530 0925 O E SU
4 . TP 243 J 16NOV LISORD HS1 1050 1420 O E TU

GBP2243.10 per person btw.

You know UA fly direct ORD-TLV for a few hundred more?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Very sensible to avoid the short connection, I like that... plus check out Lisbon.

It's definitely possible, I just used November arbitrarily to check, you thinking something like this;

1 . TP 242 Z 07NOV ORDLIS HS1 1555 #0540 O E SU/MO 1
2 . TP 1603 Z 08NOV LISTLV HS1 1430 2140 O E MO 1
3 . TP 1604 J 14NOV TLVLIS HS1 0530 0925 O E SU
4 . TP 243 J 16NOV LISORD HS1 1050 1420 O E TU

GBP2243.10 per person btw.

You know UA fly direct ORD-TLV for a few hundred more?
That is what I was trying to book on the TP site but it only shows in coach, not business. I cannot get any of the online booking tools (like google flights or ITA Matrix with the power tools installed) to do the stopover. Do I have to use an OTA? If so, which one?

Regarding the UA nonstop, I know it is available for around $3600 as opposed to the TP $3100. Just a question for you. Have you flown UA long haul business this year? The only advantage they have is it is nonstop (3x weekly). I would ook TP if we are at a situation where some of the pandemic concerns/restrictions are starting to abate and we are looking at full service, lounges, etc. Besides, I have never visited Portugal and this would be a great excuse to spend a couple of days in Lisbon.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
85 minutes non-Schengen to non-Schengen is more than enough. The connection itself will take 15 mins at most, a bit longer if there's a bus ride involved. A quick security check is on the way.

However, if you want to do a stopover in LIS, should be doable. You'd have to use a multi-city tool to check availability. Also make sure the biz fare allows a stopover.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
That is what I was trying to book on the TP site but it only shows in coach, not business. I cannot get any of the online booking tools (like google flights or ITA Matrix with the power tools installed) to do the stopover. Do I have to use an OTA? If so, which one?

Regarding the UA nonstop, I know it is available for around $3600 as opposed to the TP $3100. Just a question for you. Have you flown UA long haul business this year? The only advantage they have is it is nonstop (3x weekly). I would ook TP if we are at a situation where some of the pandemic concerns/restrictions are starting to abate and we are looking at full service, lounges, etc. Besides, I have never visited Portugal and this would be a great excuse to spend a couple of days in Lisbon.
Sorry I didn't see your reply. I'm not sure which OTA, maybe try a travel consultant who has a GDS? I don't think I'm really supposed to tout for business directly, so apologies to FlyerTalk if this constitutes rule breaking, but you're welcome to email me and I can help you with the booking.

Admittedly I haven't flown UA business class full stop. But they're flying the Dreamliner (Boeing 787-9) which are all relatively new, and I found this video with some details of the configuration and quality - skip to about 2 minutes 5 seconds fyi -

By comparison, Chicago to Lisbon on TP is an A330-9, also pretty new, and the A320 from there to TLV. The latter does feature flat beds seats, but they are angle flat so not horizonal to the aircraft, if that makes sense. Although these will be through the day, so whether that's a problem, probably not. There is a lot to see in Lisbon, it's stunning, so it's a tough decision!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't see your reply. I'm not sure which OTA, maybe try a travel consultant who has a GDS? I don't think I'm really supposed to tout for business directly, so apologies to FlyerTalk if this constitutes rule breaking, but you're welcome to email me and I can help you with the booking.

Admittedly I haven't flown UA business class full stop. But they're flying the Dreamliner (Boeing 787-9) which are all relatively new, and I found this video with some details of the configuration and quality - skip to about 2 minutes 5 seconds fyi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWAmMww5MI0

By comparison, Chicago to Lisbon on TP is an A330-9, also pretty new, and the A320 from there to TLV. The latter does feature flat beds seats, but they are angle flat so not horizonal to the aircraft, if that makes sense. Although these will be through the day, so whether that's a problem, probably not. There is a lot to see in Lisbon, it's stunning, so it's a tough decision!
That video represents just over 1/3 of United's 787-900 fleet. This link has what the other 2/3 look like. Several of the more recent 787-900 models with the newer seats have a performance package so they get dedicated to the longer range routes and not Europe or Israel. As for the soft product, I would refer you to the following link1 and link2. The first is the UA long haul business class catering thread for 2020 and the second is the same thread but for 2021. Take the time to check them out. I think you will se why I am not particularly enthused in booking UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.