Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

TAP changed flight times- cancel? (5 hour threshold)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP changed flight times- cancel? (5 hour threshold)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Question TAP changed flight times- cancel? (5 hour threshold)

Hi,
This is my first post here, so thanks in advance for helping a newbie.
I have four TAP Portugal PLUS grade tickets ORD-LIS-BCN for October for myself, my husband, and my kids.
The flight time was set to 2 hours earlier, which is going to make it tough/maybe impossible to get to the airport on time (we have to drive a long way to Chicago, and some other factors too...) Plus it is now a 545am arrival in Lisbon. What am I going to do at 545am in Portugal with two little kids and no hotel to check in?! (I don't want to pay another day for a room at $300 or whatever it was)

I see I can cancel PLUS tickets for $80 pp fee--- other airlines have a policy of "if we change your flight time by X number of hours you may reschedule or cancel without penalty." I can't find that anywhere for TAP- does it exist?

Thank you!
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:16 am

This has to be in the Conditions of Carriage (or a similarly named document) - for TP available at https://www.flytap.com/en-us/transport-conditions. I went quickly through it but was not able to find a reference to the situation you describe. If cancelling is what you want, you can always call and ask nicely ...
Old Jun 12, 2020, 5:25 pm

Their terms and conditions for involuntary flight time changes are not clear. When is your flight?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT!

Regardless that this is not stated in the t&c most airlines will allow you to cancel and issue a full refund for a schedule change of 2 hours. I suggest to call and explain that this schedule change is unacceptable to you and that you wan't to cancel. If the first agent doesn't approve, call again.

I assume that you booked directly with TAP - if you booked with a TA/OTA you need to contact the TA/OTA.

Obviously, any refund will take months to process, so you really need to be sure that this schedule change makes you want to cancel.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:42 am
Original Poster

The flight is not until October, so I think I'm going to wait it out a bit and see if it gets cancelled or changed even more...
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are a lot of other factors going on (for example entry restrictions for citizens of certain countries), so I would wait until much closer in to make any decision.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just went through this with TAP. They made a slightly more than two hour schedule change to my July BCN-LIS itin, which I wanted to cancel and get refunded because I am not going to be in Europe at all then due to Covid. After an hour and a half on the phone (about half of that on hold waiting for someone to answer and the other half arguing back and forth with frequent pauses to "check with a supervisor"), the end result is that they said their policy is no refunds for a schedule change of less than five hours. All they said they could do for me would be to issue a voucher for flight credit good for one year.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have three flights booked with TAP. One is from Lisbon to Faro 9/29, the other 2 were booked as a stopover, one 10/11 from Faro to Lisbon, with the next on 10/15 from Lisbon to Barcelona. All were booked pre COVID. The first was cancelled and I was moved to another flight with a different number and not notified-that flight left 4 hours later. EU 261 requires a refund which TAP has refused, so I've done a charge back. I just checked tonight and TAP cancelled the Lisbon to Barcelona flight and moved me to a flight 3 hours later and again did not notify me, so I wrote them and requested a refund (the first one, I requested a refund, waited a week, and then did the charge back.) That is what I will do with this one as well. I filed complaints with the DOT for good measure. I've never seen an airline not notify a customer of flight changes before, and now they have done it twice!
Old Aug 24, 2020, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chargebacks were the appropriate route to take, especially if you supplied all of the relevant backup paperwork at the time. The DOT complaint is not. TP is not a US carrier and your tickets were not to, from or within the US (as required by the specific Title 14 rule in question).

For the benefit of others, make certain that your chargeback contains:
1. Copy of the relevant rule, e.g. DOT in the case of US (not applicable here) and EC 261/2004, Section 8 for EU (applicable here). Both provide for a refund but air carriers look for errors to save money.
2. Copy of e-ticket receipt (which shows the ticketed routing and the amount paid)
3. Copy of whatever it is that shows the cancellation / change
4. Request for refund and response, if any.

TP reportedly pushes back hard with misstatements which have led to lengthy delays and some outright denials of chargebacks. When the paperwork cannot be disputed, TP's merchant acquirer will not bother to waste its time on behalf of TP.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks, I will add those in there. And actually, they changed the Lisbon to Faro flight again-now the time difference is 6 hours and 20 minutes later, so I qualify for a refund even by their own rules.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:43 am

We have just managed to cancel our upcoming flights this December. MIA - LIS - MAN. The LIS - MAN sector time was changed from 0750 to 1315, more than five hours. I called TAP on 03453500100 and got through to an agent after around 15 minutes. The agent stated that as the time change was in excess of five hours we could have a full refund or a voucher. We chose a full refund. The agent then said refunds are taking between 30 - 60 days and provided a refund reference number if we needed to get in touch. Hope this helps some one.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by gerryt
We have just managed to cancel our upcoming flights this December. MIA - LIS - MAN. The LIS - MAN sector time was changed from 0750 to 1315, more than five hours. I called TAP on 03453500100 and got through to an agent after around 15 minutes. The agent stated that as the time change was in excess of five hours we could have a full refund or a voucher. We chose a full refund. The agent then said refunds are taking between 30 - 60 days and provided a refund reference number if we needed to get in touch. Hope this helps some one.
Thank you for this, this number was answered within 5 mins (unlike the north american number - which is just not answering at all)
Quick refund for my cancelled YYZ-PDL nonstop. Of course, 30-60 days was mentioned
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have a question relating to time change and my option

Our flight is as follows

YYZ-OPO
OPO-LIS ( This flight time was changed from 7 am departure to 9am departure for Lisbon.
LIS-YYZ

We cannot fly into Portugal as we are going to Singapore and Portugal is not a VTL country. Also Canadians are not allowed into Portugal. Can I ask for a voucher for this 1 hour change? We do not want a refund.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 16, 2022 at 5:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.