Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP Air Portugal covid19 refund

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Unhappy TAP Air Portugal covid19 refund

I booked travel at the beginning of January for flights in July. I am high-risk and cannot travel to Spain from Miami. I need to cancel but the airline is only offering a voucher for the amount to be used within one year. I want my money refunded. What are my options? Thanks. Nelida Mejia
Old May 28, 2020, 11:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Have a look in the TAP forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-...-miles-go-767/

A friend of mine had the same issue, and he just did a charge back on his Amex.

Note that flights *may* be going in July. In which case you may be out of luck if you choose not to fly.
Old May 28, 2020, 2:41 pm

You probably want to check out this thread: Cancelling and getting a refund from TAP .
mmff likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Nelida Mejia
I booked travel at the beginning of January for flights in July. I am high-risk and cannot travel to Spain from Miami. I need to cancel but the airline is only offering a voucher for the amount to be used within one year. I want my money refunded. What are my options? Thanks. Nelida Mejia
A travel insurance policy seems to be the only route to get cash back for a voluntary cancellation based on medical grounds. Maybe best to wait to see if TAP cancels before you do anything.
mmff likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will need to wait until shortly before the flight to see whether it is cancelled. If it is you should get a refund but will probably end up with a voucher. If the flight isn’t cancelled, the rules of the ticket apply. If you cannot or don’t want to travel you should take this up with your travel insurance. A chargeback may work in the former case, although there are increasing reports that card issuers are refusing these if a voucher has been offered. It won’t work at all in the latter case.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:09 pm

Any experience with TAP vouchers? How long does it take them to issue one?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by fil_87
Any experience with TAP vouchers? How long does it take them to issue one?
month ago it took only 2-4 days, atm waiting for another one, so far waiting 2 day, overall it was really quick for me!
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Nelida Mejia
To sum up: You should wait until shortly before depart /(litterally until the day before departure or even same day) to see if TAP cancels and then take the voucher. If you cancel now your only resort will be your travel insurance (and you need to check first if the insurance will cover at all).
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by romans
month ago it took only 2-4 days, atm waiting for another one, so far waiting 2 day, overall it was really quick for me!
I submitted my online request for the voucher just now. Hopefully it will take less than 48 hours for them to issue it! Can you redeem the voucher online to book the new flight?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by fil_87
I submitted my online request for the voucher just now. Hopefully it will take less than 48 hours for them to issue it! Can you redeem the voucher online to book the new flight?
I am still waiting for mine so I don't think that you will have yours in 48 hours and yes online and in currency which you used (or OTA paid).
Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:20 am

I received my voucher after 3 days but with totally wrong amount (less than half of amount so wrote them to correct that but no one even answered so far)
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 segment of my return ticket to Brazil next month just got cancelled. Actually, it is convenient as there is no chance that I'm able to travel to Brazil next month in the current situation.

If I contact TP, will TP be prepared to issue voucher for a ticket booked via OTA? (rather than requesting a refund to my credit card which will take ages to be processed by the OTA if received at all).

Actually, I would prefer my ticket to be "put on ice" and be rebooked later when things are more clear, but I'm not sure if TP will do that for OTA tickets?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
1 segment of my return ticket to Brazil next month just got cancelled. Actually, it is convenient as there is no chance that I'm able to travel to Brazil next month in the current situation.

If I contact TP, will TP be prepared to issue voucher for a ticket booked via OTA? (rather than requesting a refund to my credit card which will take ages to be processed by the OTA if received at all).

Actually, I would prefer my ticket to be "put on ice" and be rebooked later when things are more clear, but I'm not sure if TP will do that for OTA tickets?
no issues with bookings booked via OTA and issued vouchers (weeks ago), just now they sent me something wrong, see post above. about second question you need to ask them, IDK
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK -thanks. Do you expect the voucher to be in the amount that you paid to the OTA - or in the (unknown) amount the OTA paid to TP?

If it will be the latter I hesitate to let TP issue a voucher, because when I look up my reservation on TP webpage I see the ticket amount stated as EUR 71 (which is only about 1/5 of the amount that I paid). I would not be happy to receive a voucher of only EUR 71 from TP if TP considers this amount to be ticket price.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
OK -thanks. Do you expect the voucher to be in the amount that you paid to the OTA - or in the (unknown) amount the OTA paid to TP?

If it will be the latter I hesitate to let TP issue a voucher, because when I look up my reservation on TP webpage I see the ticket amount stated as EUR 71 (which is only about 1/5 of the amount that I paid). I would not be happy to receive a voucher of only EUR 71 from TP if TP considers this amount to be ticket price.
I can say only from experiences but my first two vouchers I received from TAP recently were OTA booking and they issued correct values (TAP prices, not OTA + 10 percent). Price you see under your booking is not correct I guess. I have the same with another OTA booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.