TAP and coronavirus - policy?

Old Mar 26, 20, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
For folks with flights including the US who are having issues getting cash refunds for cancelled flights (cancelled by TAP) and/or tickets that were refundable for cash within the terms of the ticket I suggest you also file a DOT complaint here: https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint . I am going to do this if I have to do a chargeback to get my cash. I'll include the DOT complaint with my chargback paperwork.
The EC261/2004 should apply to all flights to AND from the EU, right?
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:14 am

I have an upcoming flight in 10 days. The earliest I could possibly fly on TAP is this time next year, if they survive, so I am not at all keen on getting credit. My tickets MIA>LUX were ultra cheap. I am thinking about just going after them for a CASH refund for the taxes and fees. This seems to be the applicable language in their contract of carriage :

"10.8 Time Periods for Refunds Subject to all the previously provided for in this Article 10 and without prejudice to the specially foreseen in these Conditions, if you are entitled to the refund of a Ticket purchased directly from us, we shall refund it to you within seven (7) business days, if it has been purchased with a credit card, or within twenty (20) business days, if it has been purchased with cash or a bank check. 10.8.1 If your Ticket/s is/are non-refundable and it/they has/have not been used, we shall, subject to the applicable law, reimburse you of the taxes, fees and charges collected with the fare and shown therein. Such refund will be made on the same conditions, namely of time limits, as referred to in Article 10.8 above."
It doesn't seem to me that if they don't fly me, they can charge me for fees that they don't pay the gov't on my behalf, right? I have about $80 in fees that at least I should be able to recover...
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07 View Post
The EC261/2004 should apply to all flights to AND from the EU, right?
Yes but you'd obviously need to complain to the Euro authorities. I am located in US so DOT complaint is easier for me. Also be advised the European airlines are trying to water down EC261 so they don't have to offer cash refunds and can give you a voucher now and cash refund in a year. Per this blog posting this may (one comment argues it hasn't) have happened in Canada except they just have to give you a two year voucher: https://onemileatatime.com/canada-re...ght-cancelled/ . No idea if such a change occurs in EU or US whether or not it would be retroactive. Pretty crappy what the governments are doing and I am surprised by how many people defend this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 26, 20 at 11:38 am
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
Yes but you'd obviously need to complain to the Euro authorities. I am located in US so DOT complaint is easier for me. Also be advised the European airlines are trying to water down EC261 so they don't have to offer cash refunds and can give you a voucher now and cash refund in a year. Per this blog posting this may (one comment argues it hasn't) have happened in Canada except they just have to give you a two year voucher: https://onemileatatime.com/canada-re...ght-cancelled/ . No idea if such a change occurs in EU or US whether or not it would be retroactive. Pretty crappy what the governments are doing and I am surprised by how many people defend this.
Thanks for the clarification. Does the DOT apply for flights to AND from the US like the EU covers?
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Does the DOT apply for flights to AND from the US like the EU covers?
I believe so. As long as one part of the trip touches US soil you are covered at least that is my layman's read.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 20, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
so award tickets for flights they cancelled you have to call them? What a file of crap.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: