Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAP Air Portugal Offering Status Match

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
took 2 weeks after I bought the EUR 99 CLUB before I got confirmation of the elite status
Old Jul 31, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GumboCook
took 2 weeks after I bought the EUR 99 CLUB before I got confirmation of the elite status
Have you actually recieved a notification ( Once you have received notification from the Programme that your card is valid, then subscribe to a Club TAP Miles&Go or purchase some miles.) before making the purchase ?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Have you actually recieved a notification ( Once you have received notification from the Programme that your card is valid, then subscribe to a Club TAP Miles&Go or purchase some miles.) before making the purchase ?
yes, I got an approval email stating that I had been matched subject to buying miles or the purchase of a club membership. Only then did I purchase anything. Then 2 weeks later I got another email stating I had elite status.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:13 am

Cool. Finally today I got "The TAP Miles & Go Program is pleased to inform you that your Status Match Campaign Application has been Validated." so I went on and purchased 4k miles.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
It's now a month since I applied and I haven't heard back from them ...
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If I do an "Inspect" on the field in Chrome, it seems the validation is for a 9 digit VAT number, which is the UK norm, but it's referenced against the Portuguese 7 digit number system. So it's destined to fail. If you change your country to Falkland Islands it then expects 7 digits, and of course the Islands don't have VAT anyway, so that may work for you. Or try another browser which may not validate the number.
Thanks to a tip from another forum I put in my UK national insurance number, and this works fine (this was for a 'personal' payment rather than a business).
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by swiss_global
It's now a month since I applied and I haven't heard back from them ...
Mine took from Jul 11 to Aug 3, so almost a month too.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: QF gold, AF/KL platinum, exMA gold :( exSK gold
Applied on 29 July, matched today (7 August).
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: Quite a few...
Can someone say when do their matched statuses expire? Is it actually 12 months from the matched day, or more like 10-11 months (based on the month of joining the program?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:50 am

Can someone clarify?
Do I need to fly 40 or 50 legs on status matched TAP Gold status? Only TAP or other *A carriers are counting too?
Thank you for your answers.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LHKE
Can someone clarify?
Do I need to fly 40 or 50 legs on status matched TAP Gold status? Only TAP or other *A carriers are counting too?
Thank you for your answers.
If you match to TAP Gold through the promotion that this thread is discussing you must fly four sectors on a TAP ticket, and accumulate 25000 Status Miles (as long as you do the 4 TAP sectors the bulk of the 25K can be earned on other *A carriers if it's more convenient) in the first 12 Months after being matched. Then your Gold status will be extended to the next anniversary of you joining the TAP flyer programme - E.G. If you joined TAP Miles & Go in June 2020 and got approved for Gold status in August 2020 you'd have until August 2021 to earn 25,000 Status Miles on any Star Alliance flight provided that a minimum of 4 sectors are flown on TAP metal (*) - at which time your Gold status will be extended from August 2021 to your next natural anniversary date, being June 2022.

75,000 Status Miles or 50 TAP sectors is the qualification threshold for Gold if you start from scratch and not via a Status Match promotion
50,000 Status Miles or 40 TAP sectors is the stand re-qualification threshold if you already have Gold not earned via a Status match promotion.

The complicated bit is when you match to Gold, earn the 25K and 4 Sectors to get an extension, and then need to re-qualify for the year after that:-
  • You join TAP Miles and Go in June 2020
  • You are finally approved for Status Match to Gold in August 2020
  • You buy the required 4K points or Club package within 10 days of the approval email
  • Your Gold status due to the status match promotion lasts until August 2021
  • You earn 25K Status Miles including 4 TAP sectors between August 2020 and August 2021
  • Your Gold Status is extended round to June 2022 being your normal Miles & Go anniversary month.
  • You need to have earned 50K Status Miles between June 2021 and June 2022 for Gold to be renewed again to June 2023
  • Any part of the initial 25K miles earned above that were earned between June 2021 and August 2021 should also count towards the 50K needed for requalification into the 2022-23 year (N.B. this is unconfirmed)
  • If you don't get the 25K miles or the 4 TAP sectors during the initial 12m period after matching there is no soft landing to Silver and you must start again from scratch under normal rules
(*) 'TAP Metal should also include TAP-ticketed services operated on behalf of TAP by Portugalia and/or White Air but there's no specific mention of this in the Ts & Cs that I can see

Caveat: This is my reading and interpretation of the website terms and conditions and I may easily have got something wrong as I'm not that familiar with TAP or their programme

Last edited by southlondonphil; Aug 9, 2020 at 12:15 pm Reason: added note
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:40 am

Account finally showing Gold status as of today.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
If you match to TAP Gold through the promotion that this thread is discussing you must fly four sectors on a TAP ticket, and accumulate 25000 Status Miles (as long as you do the 4 TAP sectors the bulk of the 25K can be earned on other *A carriers if it's more convenient) in the first 12 Months after being matched. Then your Gold status will be extended to the next anniversary of you joining the TAP flyer programme - E.G. If you joined TAP Miles & Go in June 2020 and got approved for Gold status in August 2020 you'd have until August 2021 to earn 25,000 Status Miles on any Star Alliance flight provided that a minimum of 4 sectors are flown on TAP metal (*) - at which time your Gold status will be extended from August 2021 to your next natural anniversary date, being June 2022.

75,000 Status Miles or 50 TAP sectors is the qualification threshold for Gold if you start from scratch and not via a Status Match promotion
50,000 Status Miles or 40 TAP sectors is the stand re-qualification threshold if you already have Gold not earned via a Status match promotion.

The complicated bit is when you match to Gold, earn the 25K and 4 Sectors to get an extension, and then need to re-qualify for the year after that:-
  • You join TAP Miles and Go in June 2020
  • You are finally approved for Status Match to Gold in August 2020
  • You buy the required 4K points or Club package within 10 days of the approval email
  • Your Gold status due to the status match promotion lasts until August 2021
  • You earn 25K Status Miles including 4 TAP sectors between August 2020 and August 2021
  • Your Gold Status is extended round to June 2022 being your normal Miles & Go anniversary month.
  • You need to have earned 50K Status Miles between June 2021 and June 2022 for Gold to be renewed again to June 2023
  • Any part of the initial 25K miles earned above that were earned between June 2021 and August 2021 should also count towards the 50K needed for requalification into the 2022-23 year (N.B. this is unconfirmed)
  • If you don't get the 25K miles or the 4 TAP sectors during the initial 12m period after matching there is no soft landing to Silver and you must start again from scratch under normal rules
(*) 'TAP Metal should also include TAP-ticketed services operated on behalf of TAP by Portugalia and/or White Air but there's no specific mention of this in the Ts & Cs that I can see

Caveat: This is my reading and interpretation of the website terms and conditions and I may easily have got something wrong as I'm not that familiar with TAP or their programme
Actually, 5 TAP sectors needed.
I got this yesterday:
Renewal Conditions
Your new status will be valid for at least 12 months from the date of your Promotion. At the end of that period, you will have the opportunity to renew your status until the end of your Annual Miles Earning Period (for another 1 to 12 months, depending on the case).
Renewal (always made for the same status) will be granted to customers with TAP Miles&Go Gold status who earn 25,000 Status Miles + 5 flight segments with TAP Air Portugal and TAP Miles&Go Silver customers who earn 10,000 Status Miles + 5 flight segments flight with TAP Air Portugal.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is the 4 (or 5) TAP segments a new requirement with the status match or did I miss something back in April?
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LHKE
Actually, 5 TAP sectors needed.
I got this yesterday:
Renewal Conditions
Your new status will be valid for at least 12 months from the date of your Promotion. At the end of that period, you will have the opportunity to renew your status until the end of your Annual Miles Earning Period (for another 1 to 12 months, depending on the case).
Renewal (always made for the same status) will be granted to customers with TAP Miles&Go Gold status who earn 25,000 Status Miles + 5 flight segments with TAP Air Portugal and TAP Miles&Go Silver customers who earn 10,000 Status Miles + 5 flight segments flight with TAP Air Portugal.
That's weird because it's a) an odd number and b) at odds with the promotion terms and conditions as published by TAP on their website and would actually be an increase of 3 flight sectors over the published retention requirement for those matched to Silver (where the website says just 2 TAP sectors are needed).

I suspect a typo in the email, and were it to be subject to challenge, I'm confident the website Ts and Cs would prevail. I have, nevertheless, screen-grabbed the relevant clauses of the website in the event that TAP are playing 'silly buggers' mid-way through a promotion for some nonsensical and disingenuous reason!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.